Oatmeal Help!

hide9_seek7
hide9_seek7 Posts: 15 Member
Hello Everyone!

So I have been trying to get into eating oatmeal but had no luck. I have heard it is wonderful addition to your meal plan if you are trying to maintain healthy diet. Is there any way I can make the oatmeal tastier? Its so bland even with bananas and honey:(...
Any secret ingredients to make it tastier please let me know

Thanks <3

Replies

• gcaban2016
    gcaban2016 Posts: 7 Member
    tlsqekorn83z.jpeg
  • gcaban2016
    gcaban2016 Posts: 7 Member
    This is how I make it and it's only 133 calories! Very tasty!
  • KatyP86
    KatyP86 Posts: 164 Member
    Peanut butter!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    The only way for me to make it tasty is to add a ton of toppings on it...

For the least amount of calories though, one scoop of protein powder makes it better. I add some PB2 with chocolate powder, or fresh berries (cooked with the oatmeal) with vanilla powder. I use Quest powder and it makes it thicker and almost pudding-like.

I've done it with a bit of pumpkin, pumpkin spices, and vanilla powder too... or almond butter and jelly.

Or just cooked with almond milk and PB2.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Don't forget to add a little salt.

The possibilities otherwise are endless. I'd probably add 5-10g of pb to your honey and banana add ins.

Brown sugar and butter are classic.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I like plain oatmeal with 1/2 tbsp each of peanut butter and jelly or jam. Nuts and chia seeds are good too but for sweetness I usually add cut strawberries, blueberries, or a bit of sugar free maple flavored syrup.

My favorite though is making steel cut oats. I soak them overnight before prep. 1 cup steel cut oats in 1 cup almond milk and 3 cups water. Then add a dash of salt and sprinkle of cinnamon, bring to a low boil for 10 min and then simmer for 5 min and add a bit of brown sugar and some dried cranberries. That is a delicious breakfast (makes 4 servings)...a little different from regular oats but so worth it!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    I like to grind up into a flour and make tortillas out of it: just add a little water at a time to the flour till you can turn it into a rough dough, then roll it flat between two pieces of plastic wrap or wax paper with a rolling pin. Toss it onto a hot pan, give it a couple of minutes, turn it over, give it a couple of beats more, then onto a plate with it. Just water and flour. No butter, no egg, no baking flour or soda.

I have enclosed a slice of cheese in it before tossing it onto the pan; also some thin-sliced roast turkey. For breakfast, I season up the flour with ground ginger and cinnamon. Sometimes PB2. Sometimes a little maple syrup.

Last weekend, I mixed the flour with a couple of bananas to make a sort of batter, smoothed it out in a small loaf pan, topped it with walnuts, flaked coconuts and raisins and let go in the oven at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes. A 2" slice of this comes to around 274 calories, according to the MFP calculator - together with a clementine orange, or an egg, that's a full breakfast for me. I'm going to be able to get 4 2" servings out of this cake/bread concoction.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Oatmeal is nice as it has a rep of helping lower cholesterol. It has high protein for a grain and it has lots of fiber too. I love it and I prepare it a half-dozen ways.

But if you hate it, eat something else! Try beans, apples, barley, pears, chia or prunes.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    My go-to is brown sugar and cinnamon. I'll add apples or bananas sometimes.

My boyfriend gets creative. He did Nutella last time. Sometimes he adds vanilla Greek yogurt and berries. Peanut butter is good, too. Oh and nuts!
  • denabrown25
    denabrown25 Posts: 103 Member
    I make steel cut oats on the thicker side the will add a yolkie egg and salsa. You can top them just like grits.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Why eat it if you don't like it? Why don't you try making healthier versions of food you already like? That way, your more likely to stick to this new way of eating long term.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    I hated oatmeal as a kid, I don't care how much brown sugar & butter was coated on it...but I do like it now as an adult. If you don't like it, don't eat it. Eat something else.
  • nevereverend
    nevereverend Posts: 17 Member
    I prepare quick oats with a scoop of protein powder, skim milk, peanut butter, and unsweetened cocoa powder. It looks like sludge, but tastes pretty damn good.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Cook in water with a tablespoon of Sirachi and soy sauce. Add an ounce cashews and or top with fried egg. Another drizzle of sirachi if you like.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Don't eat it. Or put peanut butter and oreos in it.
  • woco84
    woco84 Posts: 2 Member
    Currants/Pecans
  • kalbo798
    kalbo798 Posts: 58 Member
    I usually do 2 servings(300 cals) 8 oz almond milk and 1 serving peanut butter. tastes good to me. try dried fruits if you like. Eating oats(especially with peanut butter) you have to measure, portions could get out of control otherwise. good luck
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited January 2016
    It's gross. I prefer eggs and bacon, preferably with steak and fruit
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Don't eat it. Or put peanut butter and oreos in it.

:D Haha love this!