Females building muscle

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    sarahlifts wrote: »
    I brought my calories up to and well over maintenance 2200-2600 from November to present. Weight up from 148 to 154. Um I'm not comfortable at this weight at all. I'm always sluggish gassy and tired from all the freaking food I'm eating that I enjoy. I truly have no complaints about the food. I don't like the way my body looks.

I felt as if I had gained 20 lbs and avoided the scale up until a week ago. I stepped on the scaled 153.2???! really I thought for sure scale would read 169. Bulking is effing with my head. I was going to bulk until the end of april just to get a solid 6 months in. I've since changed my mind. I started too late. I will not be summer ready by mid June.

So Feb 1st I will be slowly bringing calories down. I'll be back at 2000 cals. I hope to sit there for 8 weeks and recomp. Then start a deficit April 1 at 1800 calories for 4 weeks. May 1 drop to 1700, June 1 get to 1600 If I have not yet met my goal of 135. 20 weeks for 20lbs may take longer but I don't have a stage or event to get ready for. I just cannot go into bikini season with flub.

Always a work in progress. No end in sight.

I will begin building earlier this year probably right after Labor day.

Aw! It's only 6 pounds. Some of that is water too. I wish you wouldn't give up! I know it's hard, trust me. I have some really rough days-especially from a few days before my period until well after it's over. One day I think "alright I look okay" and the next I'm like "WHAT AM I DOING?!?! I'm HUGE!!"

A lot of it is in your head. Of course do whatever makes you comfortable but we are here to support if you decide to continue!
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Add me :smiley:
  • sandiikat
    sandiikat Posts: 104 Member
    Any one can feel free to add me :) weight lifting is my passion and meeting new girlies that have the same interest would be sweet!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    I brought my calories up to and well over maintenance 2200-2600 from November to present. Weight up from 148 to 154. Um I'm not comfortable at this weight at all. I'm always sluggish gassy and tired from all the freaking food I'm eating that I enjoy. I truly have no complaints about the food. I don't like the way my body looks.

I felt as if I had gained 20 lbs and avoided the scale up until a week ago. I stepped on the scaled 153.2???! really I thought for sure scale would read 169. Bulking is effing with my head. I was going to bulk until the end of april just to get a solid 6 months in. I've since changed my mind. I started too late. I will not be summer ready by mid June.

So Feb 1st I will be slowly bringing calories down. I'll be back at 2000 cals. I hope to sit there for 8 weeks and recomp. Then start a deficit April 1 at 1800 calories for 4 weeks. May 1 drop to 1700, June 1 get to 1600 If I have not yet met my goal of 135. 20 weeks for 20lbs may take longer but I don't have a stage or event to get ready for. I just cannot go into bikini season with flub.

Aw! It's only 6 pounds. Some of that is water too. I wish you wouldn't give up! I know it's hard, trust me. I have some really rough days-especially from a few days before my period until well after it's over. One day I think "alright I look okay" and the next I'm like "WHAT AM I DOING?!?! I'm HUGE!!"

A lot of it is in your head. Of course do whatever makes you comfortable but we are here to support if you decide to continue!

today I look good and I asked myself what is going on here?!!!
    I may go through the end of February but I want to cut to 135 or at least 140 (where I was last summer) by mid June.
    I know I have to give myself time to get there. I'm feeling as if 12-16 weeks is not enough time to drop 20-25 lbs.

I will be back on a bulk on LABOR DAY 2016.
    I need to begin a bulk earlier.
    I held off a bulk in 2015 bc I didn't want to be fluffy for my Birthday in early November.
    This year IDGAF about my birthday. I need to bulk earlier.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    You go girl~ Strong is hot!
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    Bukolab wrote: »
    I'm trying to build up my lower body.... Bigger booty and legs!! Using app to track my calories. I want to keep my waist small, so I've been doing HIIT cardio as I eat more food. I'm eating at 1900 calories which is only 130 calories over my maintenance. Training my butt and legs 2x per week

Is that your maintenance before or after accounting for the HIIT that you added? I only ask because if you add more/harder cardio it raises your maintenance calories proportionally and what was a surplus can turn into a deficit. My plan after eating at maintenance is continuing to each the same amount and bump up cardio to create a deficit. It's taking the above and working it to benefit my goals :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited January 2016
    Ah I did a bulk two years ago and I'm still wearing the muscles! Just coming off a xmas fat bulk and a complete break from all sports. Slowly cutting again. I think my heavy lifting days are over, because I'm getting too many stupid injuries which affect my triathlon training but I'm happy to maintain what I've got.
    This year is about flexibility and agility.

That bulk was the best few months of my life, my attitude to food was awesome and there was no panic with the weight gain for the first time in my life.
  • george7527
    george7527 Posts: 267 Member
    I would love to build muscle but to impatient to wait to see the results. plus i'm older than you lovely ladies, and I don't think i'm the right body type to achieve good results. Any tips would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited January 2016
    I don't know what I'm doing right now.

I got married in September, and before that I was on a slight deficit and lifting at home with dumbbells. I mentioned before that I thought* I had lost 8 pounds in the year leading up to the wedding, dropping from 118 in Jan to ~110 in Sept. I had been focusing mostly on upper body and was happy with how my arms & shoulders looked in my dress.

I gained a few lbs back on our honeymoon, but we ate and drank & enjoyed ourselves so no biggie. BUT THEN* our bathroom scale lost its mind. For example, it would register one weight pre-shower, and a second significantly lower weight post-shower, fully clothed. I should have replaced it right away but DH hemmed and hawed that I was so hard to shop for I told him to get us a new one for Christmas, so we went 2ish months with no scale.

So imagine my surprise when I step on it and it says 120. I didn't fall that far off the wagon over the holidays. I've been lifting heavy-ish focusing on lower body, keeping my deficit the same as its always been and that darn thing won't budge.
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

today I look good and I asked myself what is going on here?!!!
    I may go through the end of February but I want to cut to 135 or at least 140 (where I was last summer) by mid June.
    I know I have to give myself time to get there. I'm feeling as if 12-16 weeks is not enough time to drop 20-25 lbs.

I will be back on a bulk on LABOR DAY 2016.
    I need to begin a bulk earlier.
    I held off a bulk in 2015 bc I didn't want to be fluffy for my Birthday in early November.
    This year IDGAF about my birthday. I need to bulk earlier.

I was cutting it close with mine too. And I'm gaining fast. I cut to about 128 and some days I weigh 138 and I started the first week of november. I didn't even want to bulk past 138 but I think it's going to happen anyway. I don't mind not being lean until July though because June is really not that warm here. I won't hit the beach until July either.

It is funny how one day we look fluffy and the next not as much. I've taken pictures so while some of it is in my head, I can actually see some water weight from day to day in the pics as well. Sigh...it's hard. And I have no one to talk about it with in real life (except gym rat bros who tell me to eat clean and I won't gain fat).
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    47 and trying to add muscle but a little too scared to gain weight. I just finished taking off 35# to get to 137 (5'7). I have been maintaining at that with lifting and running. I have a beach trip in March and another trip in June. I do not want to look heavier than I am. I may try to just recomp until fall and then after running season, start a small bulk.
  • arditarose
    47 and trying to add muscle but a little too scared to gain weight. I just finished taking off 35# to get to 137 (5'7). I have been maintaining at that with lifting and running. I have a beach trip in March and another trip in June. I do not want to look heavier than I am. I may try to just recomp until fall and then after running season, start a small bulk.

That's not a bad idea. It's getting late to bulk if you want to be lean for the summer, let alone March. Recomping is fun in the summer.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I've been bulking since October (summer where I'm at) and have not actually put on weight - my muscles have grown. The only bad side effect has been my stomach is a bit more rotund than I'd like it to be...
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    I've been bulking since October (summer where I'm at) and have not actually put on weight - my muscles have grown. The only bad side effect has been my stomach is a bit more rotund than I'd like it to be...

ya, i always get or feel bloated in the stomach too. Im getting ready for stage in March and then i will do a 6 month clean build before i do it again next Fall.
  • strongshauna
    strongshauna Posts: 3 Member
    So basically last year I was not eating enough food to grow much muscle due to lack of knowledge, etc. Now I am currently eating at maintenance which is over 2,000cal due to my activity level. I'm going to see if my weight moves in the next couple of weeks and if not then I will start reverse dieting. Feel free to add me!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    it could take more than a couple of weeks to see any results in weight(either up or down). for some. just be patient
  • rimbin
    rimbin Posts: 1 Member
    me too
  • arditarose
    Ladies, I have had a mini-freak out during every period while I've been bulking. Between my hormones, the extra bloat and the extra water weight on the scale...I was a nut. I'm proud to say that I made it through this month calm and collected. Sure, I felt blue once in awhile but I just wore leggings every day with chunky sweaters and enjoyed my better performance in the gym. Phew.

Now I'm not looking forward to cutting!
  • uneaktoy
    uneaktoy Posts: 1 Member
    Looking to add some fellow females working on building muscle

Me
  • annebenson96
    annebenson96 Posts: 8 Member
    I need help I am very out of shape. I have had success keeping track of what I eat but have little to no motavition to excerize