Scale Woes

JessicaLCHF
JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
I absolutely hate my bathroom scale. I paid extra for this "super precise" one, and for months before I got it would only weigh at the doctors office on their giant one. Which never matched my at home weight. I can weigh four times a day having the same clothes on and weigh four different weights with a five pound difference! I lost four pounds overnight. Ummm... Doubtful.

Replies

• JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    I weigh myself everyday, and my scale has one of those feet sensors that measures body fat %.

Now is it extremely accurate? No.
    Is it good enough? I think so.

But I don't live by the numbers on the scale, I live by the numbers on my diary, the numbers on the iron bar. As long as I keep doing all the right things, and keep working hards towards a goal, I'll see a downward trend in weight, and that's good enough for me.

If you're interested, here is a link to my scale, which I highly recommend.
    GoWISE USA Body Fat Scale
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I absolutely hate my bathroom scale. I paid extra for this "super precise" one, and for months before I got it would only weigh at the doctors office on their giant one. Which never matched my at home weight. I can weigh four times a day having the same clothes on and weigh four different weights with a five pound difference! I lost four pounds overnight. Ummm... Doubtful.

Are you weighing yourself 4 times one-after-another? If not, a 4lb difference is entirely possible. Heck, my dinners usually weigh a lb on their own!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Depending on what I eat or drink I can be up as much as 4 pounds over the course of the day. I just go with my first morning weight. I figure even if it's not spot on as long as I weigh in the same clothes at the exact same time with the scale in the same spot then I can at least get a trend.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    You're really supposed to only weigh once per day, the same time each day. Ideally, first thing when you get up, after your potty visit and before you eat. That will be the most accurate. You drink a cup of water, there goes extra weight. Eat food, more weight. Pee or reign on the porcelain throne, it will go down.

Weigh once before you intake anything.

Even then, it may bounce around. Take your running average and go with that.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited January 2016
    Check out the Happy Scale app.
    I like it because it shows what my average weight is. Now I only count a loss when the average goes down, no matter what happens in the scale.
    Here you can see my moving average, my lowest weight and today's weigh in. Even though I hit 135.4 a couple days ago, I didn't count that as a loss. qkui76as9wfc.png

On this one, you can see how different each of my morning weigh ins are on the left. The moving average is in the middle (my real weight) and how much I lost in the last week on the right.
    nuebwxvyk8tc.png

This has made me not hate the scale and not care so much about the daily weight. If I didn't see the average going down, I would be thinking I had actually gained weight in the last week.