The Struggle with Portion Control

Hi Guys!

This is probably my 5th or so attempt at weight loss ( or in better terms: an attempt to get healthy and eat smaller portions). I however am really struggling this time around. I cannot seem to eat smaller portions at all some times, or in general I am over eating during some meals. My diary has been opened up so please feel free to give any tips about what to do to eat less and also control portion sizes.

Thanks.

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Enter the meal first into the app. Out for dinner you might be less likely to eat more and at home if all you make it what you entered, then you can eat the entirety of what you made.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Pre-logging really changed how I dealt with portions. If I pre-log, I can see how many calories I can allocate for each meal and how much (or little) of something I want. If I wait until after I eat then usually I am in for an unhappy surprise. I also know some people pre-portion things. I can see this working really well although I don't do it myself.

You can do it!
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    BioQueen wrote: »
    Pre-logging really changed how I dealt with portions. If I pre-log, I can see how many calories I can allocate for each meal and how much (or little) of something I want. If I wait until after I eat then usually I am in for an unhappy surprise. I also know some people pre-portion things. I can see this working really well although I don't do it myself.

You can do it!

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I usually don't know what I am going to eat so I find it hard to pre-log. I have attempted it before and it really helps for snacks, but main meals is usually where i have trouble.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    It can definitely be rough! Do you prepare your meals at home or do you eat out? I tend to be pretty busy (but who isn't?) (I'm a med student and meal prep comes in low on my priority list in terms of minutes I want to spend) so I find quick to make things and I tend to eat the same things for the whole week. It gets tricky if you get bored easily, fortunately I don't if the meals are tasty enough. Going shopping with a list once a week really helps me. If I am going out I check out restaurants I frequent and pick my meal ahead of time.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I'm a volume eater, so I plan accordingly. Heaps of veggies and low calorie bulk foods! I mix steamed veg in with my pasta so it absorbs the sauce and is a much bigger serve, add heaps of veg to soups and stews, have large salads or serves of veg on the size of my meat and starch at dinner time..

It's occurred to me to work on portion size, but really - catering to the fact that I like big serves has worked for me in the long run.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    I pre-log only in the sense that I log before I eat. Immediately before I eat. That leaves me with the spontaneity that I like but lets me adjust how much of each food I'll eat before I've eaten it so that I can get the calories where I want them.

I keep my freezer full of convenient things that can be cooked quickly. If I find myself particularly hungry, I'll grab a steam-in-bag of broccoli or green beans to go with a bit less of the main part of the meal to give me more volume for the same calories.
  • Alairissa
    It can definitely be rough! Do you prepare your meals at home or do you eat out? I tend to be pretty busy (but who isn't?) (I'm a med student and meal prep comes in low on my priority list in terms of minutes I want to spend) so I find quick to make things and I tend to eat the same things for the whole week. It gets tricky if you get bored easily, fortunately I don't if the meals are tasty enough. Going shopping with a list once a week really helps me. If I am going out I check out restaurants I frequent and pick my meal ahead of time.

Ah I totally get you! My family cooks, and I eat. :smiley: I really like the idea though of when going out to eat then picking the food then! Thanks. :smile:
  • Alairissa
    I'm a volume eater, so I plan accordingly. Heaps of veggies and low calorie bulk foods! I mix steamed veg in with my pasta so it absorbs the sauce and is a much bigger serve, add heaps of veg to soups and stews, have large salads or serves of veg on the size of my meat and starch at dinner time..

It's occurred to me to work on portion size, but really - catering to the fact that I like big serves has worked for me in the long run.

That's a fab idea! I should probably try and incorporate more veggies into my meals. I am pretty sure I am not getting to many.
  • Alairissa
    seska422 wrote: »
    I pre-log only in the sense that I log before I eat. Immediately before I eat. That leaves me with the spontaneity that I like but lets me adjust how much of each food I'll eat before I've eaten it so that I can get the calories where I want them.

I keep my freezer full of convenient things that can be cooked quickly. If I find myself particularly hungry, I'll grab a steam-in-bag of broccoli or green beans to go with a bit less of the main part of the meal to give me more volume for the same calories.

Both are solid ideas. Do you make the steam - in - bag's your self or do you buy? Also (sorry I am very bad at cooking), how do you steam veggies?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited January 2016
    Alairissa wrote: »
    seska422 wrote: »

Both are solid ideas. Do you make the steam - in - bag's your self or do you buy? Also (sorry I am very bad at cooking), how do you steam veggies?
    I buy them.

746ngvdojrlp.jpg

I rarely cook. I usually assemble salads or heat up soup or a Lean Cuisine. My freezer stays full of things I bought at the store that are ready to go into the microwave.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    If you can get a food scale, start weighing your portions in grams.
    How did you come to the goal of 1300 cals?
    Personally, I need higher protein, fat and fiber to feel satisfied. I think you should increase protein intake and track fiber, aim for 35g per day (increase slowly until you get to 35g)
    Also try to incorporate some veggies...a nice big chopped salad accompanied by protein of choice and serving of carbs. I find that veggies really help to hit that spot, so to speak.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    I tend to eat the same things for the whole week.
    Heaps of veggies and low calorie bulk foods!

All of this, plus I eat frequently so I'm usually not starving hungry at meal times and I use smaller plates so my dinner doesn't look like a little island in an ocean of white.

amazon.com/Corelle-Livingware-Luncheon-Plate-Winter/dp/B0000CFPY5/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1453473827&sr=8-5&keywords=corelle+winter+frost+salad+plates

My diary is open if you want to peek at it.
  • JenniK614
    JenniK614 Posts: 22 Member
    I am also someone who struggles with portion control. I have started eating the "normal" serving first instead of heaping my plate with the amount I want. If I eat that amount, and want more 30 minutes later, I have more.

I can honestly say that the food isn't as appealing to me after 30 minutes, and I feel satisfied. It has finally occurred to me that I don't know what "full" feels like. I think it feels like being satisfied. In the past, I have always thought that being full meant feeling stuffed.

Best of luck to you. I know it is a constant struggle, but you can do it!
  • Broadfork
    Broadfork Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    It may be that the 'small portion' outlook is a block. I remember a friend's SO commenting once that when they ate out he always had to implore the waiter to bring more vegetables (he has over twenty years of being weight appropriate). So I boiled (weighed & logged) broccoli, carrots, and squash for dinner last night. It seemed like a big meal.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/35187278#Comment_35187278
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    How much weight do you want to lose? What is your calorie goal?

I don't pre log. I know it works for a LOT of people, but it's down to personal preference. If you like it, go for it. It is not necessary to succeed though. What is necessary: a food scale, consistent logging & staying under your calorie goal. Make sure that goal isn't too aggressive.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited January 2016
    I too struggle with portion control. I agree with the volume eating thing. I will make a huge salad to supplement my meal and it eat before I start on the really good stuff like the starch and protein. This way I eat less of them as they are more caloriffic. One of my favorite things is rice bowls. Basically to take a grain like rice, quinoa, bulger, whatever you like. Then you add a ton of veggies and stuff to it and a sauce. Its great because if you precut your veggies and cook a bunch of the grain and just keep it in the fridge it can be thrown together in a pinch. Earlier this week I did:

1 cup (cooked) jasmine rice
    radishes
    shredded carrots
    sauteed spinach
    cucumbers

My dressing (split amongst 4 people)
    1/4 cup Tahini
    1 clove diced garlic
    juice from 1 lemon
    2 tsp toasted sesame oil
    1 TBS rice wine vinegar
    3 TBS warm water

Then for protein, I just fried an egg and stuck it on top.

If you leave the dressing off you could actually have closer to 2 cups of rice. If you do that it's a little bland so I'd put some sriracha or hot sauce on it. Or even some chili garlic sauce. (I like Huy Fong).

You could do this spanish style instead with beans, corn, cheese, salsa and cilantro. Maybe some chicken or pulled pork. The combos are pretty endless and easy.

I think it gets easier when you get some good go to meals that you are comfortable cooking. Maybe invest in a good vegan cookbook. I'm not vegan but most of the recipes in them tend to be lower calorie, because plants. Then I just add meat back in.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    I prelog and it worked for a while, but I can't tell you how many times the prelog gets changed a bunch during the day.

Portion control is not the same as weighing and logging food in my mind. I can weight x grams on the diary and want more or do eat more at the table or when putting it on the plate.

Portions of my foods is why I gained weight in the first place. I never knew I was really eating 2 - 3 cups of cereal before by just pouring a "portion" from the box into the bowl. I never knew I needed so little portions to maintain my weight.. This was all but a really sad realization as to how much I was eating.

So what is the deal here? It is getting your mind right that the portions you need are smaller and if you want larger ones you have to sacrifice something else in the day to be able to eat that portion of what you want for dinner. You do have to always be thinking of what you want to eat in the future and what you may be willing to give up through the day to have it. If I does not fit on the diary once you sort it out, then you have over eaten for the day and this becomes a vicious cycle.

Prelog can help most but no all. The diary is not just data on the screen, It is a promise you make to your self everyday to either loose those pounds or maintain once you loose those pounds. It has to be 100% commitment and diligence, thank goodness that I am always self aware and have that brief moment of clarity before I choose what I eat and do not eat and do not let my choices derail my success or goals..
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I like big meals so I plan for them. I eat lighter during the day and enjoy a big full dinner. Incorporating a lot of veggies helps to keep the calories down.

I have noticed that as I lose weight and get used to eating less I feel full on less food than I used to and I don't get hungry as often.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited January 2016
    Alairissa wrote: »

Ah I totally get you! My family cooks, and I eat. :smiley: I really like the idea though of when going out to eat then picking the food then! Thanks. :smile:

Looks like you're Indian? There are vegetables in Indian cooking! Ask your family cook to include more of them, and to show you how to make them :) I see you're not a vegetarian - if the rest of your family isn't either, request more meat. If they are, request more dal and other legumes.

Also, probably both roti and rice in the same meal in the portions you're having is not doing you any favors. I'm triggered to overeat when I have too much starchy carbs and not enough protein and non-starchy veggies in the same meal.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Pre-logging helps a lot if you can do it, and also the thing about bulking your meals with a plate full of veggies... They have helped me out TONS, and believe me I can happily eat a lot in one sitting!