5'9" similar stats

Calling all females that are 5'9" with a desk job and who exercises a couple of times a week. How many calories did you eat to lose the weight? What was your starting weight, how much have you lost and how long did it take you. What was your main exercises?

Replies

• alyssagb1
    alyssagb1 Posts: 353 Member
    Hello, 5'9 here as well.

Usually exercise a couple times throughout the day /5days a week. Starting weight:227 current weight:168. Started around June 2015. I usually consume 1300-1500 a day calorie wise. (Began 1100-1200). Go-to exercises: running, circuit training (different sets all the time), yoga, kickboxing, walking, swimming/water aerobics (summer time). Trying to get down to 160, and will reevaluate then.
  • IndyAtty
    IndyAtty Posts: 2 Member
    I'm a month into it, 5'9, started at 218. I have been successfully losing at 1,800 calories, working out 5-6 times per week.
  • LeannJeffers
    LeannJeffers Posts: 486 Member
    Hello 5' 9" here too.

When I started my weight was at 209 and i have maintained a weight between 162-172 for the last three years. When I was losing I ate around 1500-1600. Since then I have been eating around 1800. I workout 4-5 times a week usually doing cardio for 30 minutes each day and then a circuit of weights.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    5'8, so close to 5'9.

I started at 240 pounds. Lost 50 pounds. I lose on an average of 1800 calories a day.

I lift 3-5 days a week, ruck 8+ miles once a week, and run 2-5 times a week.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    edited January 2016
    Also 5'9". I joined MFP in mid-April 2011. I was 39 years old, started at around 200lbs, and set my calories to 1830 (before exercise). I went for a 60-90 minute walk every day and easily lost weight eating around 2000 calories a day. I ate some, but not all, of my exercise calories. I hit my goal range (135-140) back in May of 2012 and have been on maintenance ever since. I lost a little over 60 lbs.

Taller women are lucky in that we don't have to cut down to 1200 calories a day to lose! :-)

Edited to add - I have a 100% desk job at a computer. When I started focusing on my health, I took lots of little steps during my work day - like parking far away and using the restroom at the far side of my building, etc.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My HW is 307 but my start weight for MFP was 262. I'm 5'8". CW is low 170s.

I honestly can't remember but I started out at whatever MFP recommended for me to lose 1 lb/week, I think around 1600 calories and now around 1300 calories. I am set to sedentary and eat back SOME of my exercise calories.

Typical exercise for me from beginning to now would be 2-3 short walks of 30-40 minutes and once a week or so, a 2 hour moderate to strenuous hike. Lots of cleaning and organizing at work and at home which I actually do log as exercise when I am hardcore (scrubbing floors & baseboards on hands and knees, moving 30 heavy file boxes from one room to another, etc...I do not log any 'normal' dusting type of stuff).

I was never in a hurry so my 130 lb+ loss has been very slow and consistent over 6 years but I did lose 80 lb in my first year on MFP.
  • asyk805
    asyk805 Posts: 125 Member
    5'9 here. Really just got started 2 weeks ago. So far have lost 10.5 lbs but get most of that is water weight. I am aiming at a 2-2 1/2 lb loss per week for the next 10 weeks then will slow that down to a lb a week. I started off 230.5 so have about 60 lbs to lose to get to a healthy BMI. I eat at 1500 calories and add back in 1/2 my exercise calories.
    I have a nice meal planned for tonight with wine so I am trying to get lots of steps in to give me some extra calories to indulge in. :)
  • OrneryAndIrish
    OrneryAndIrish Posts: 1 Member
    Also 5'9". Just started a boot camp up, 30 minute hard core workouts. Hovering around 1500-1600 calories a day. Having MAJOR issues with the food. Modifying from mostly carbs into adding a lot more protein. A week in and I've lost 2 lbs. Unknown on how much in measurements. Started at 232. Aiming for 30 lb weight loss by mid-May. Also, I love water, but I'm up to my eyeballs in drinking it now.
  • shadowconn
    shadowconn Posts: 141 Member
    5'9" Desk job. Work at home desk job so I don't get out. 1700-1900 very very limited exercise. I've lost 50 in the last 6 months. I actually clean my house for exercise. Kinda funny. When you work a desk job everything - including long stints at the stove count as exercise. Started at 225. Down to 174
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    5'10" here with desk job. Started at 235. Lost over 83 pounds. After joining MFP and getting seriously focused, lost 52 pounds in 26 weeks. Reached 152. Started at set 1200+ calories and ate back most of my exercise calories to start. Worked out 5-6 days a week. Started with about an hour of cardio increasing the intensity, treadmill, transport, stair stepper etc. Also a small walk on my daily lunch break. After a good bit of weight was reduced, started strength training about 4 of 5 days a week and cardio on the other. Gained back a few within range as felt to thin and to tone and build muscle & in maintenance now about 3 years around 160. Walk daily & incorporate strength training daily rotating body parts or supersetting with cardio 1 day in the middle and on a weekend day with a day of rest. Now eating almost 2,000 calories daily. All the best to you.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hello 5'9" here :) I too have a desk job and have lost 80lbs, over last 2 years, prior to mfp I lost 20 lbs in a year once I joined mfp, 60 lbs in 1 year. I wish I started sooner. Mfp has set my goal to 1200 to lose 2lbs per week but I see everyone else has a higher limit? 1200 is practically impossible for me, my typical day averages around 1400 per day, I run 3x per week too. Try to get in extra walks but not always. I'm confused as what my daily cal limit should be, constantly exceeding 1200 is discouraging meanwhile, its what everyone else is doing? Advice pls :smile:
  • petersonma
    petersonma Posts: 30 Member
    I'm Maggie, good to meet you all. I'm also 5'8.5" (5'9" depending on the day). I'm at 175 and stayed trying to lose weight about 6 weeks ago. No loss yet, but body fat had dropped 1.5%. My calorie count is across the board, but fitbit says I burn more than I eat everyday. I've really increased workouts so I'll give it a couple of more weeks then make adjustments.
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Oh fun! I am Maggi... no e cause my parents are odd :) I am 5'9.5 I started at 161 in Sep and I am at 146.6 as of yesterday. So I might not be the poster girl for this topic since I have just been taking my time. If I tightened up my food I could go much faster, but on weekends I am not nearly as strict. My GW is 140 but I am thinking I might be smaller than I like when I get there. I probably average about 1600 calories a day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Calling all females that are 5'9" with a desk job and who exercises a couple of times a week. How many calories did you eat to lose the weight? What was your starting weight, how much have you lost and how long did it take you. What was your main exercises?

5'8 desk job

Workout 3x a week, plus get up and walk the other days

Ate 1200 for about 4-6 weeks, then 1500 for about 4 months then 1800 for 4 months to lose 48lbs

Then started increasing calories but kept losing trying to find maintenance until started eating around 2200-2400 calories with s total loss of 53lbs (+/-3lbs scale weight range)

Been in maintenance best part of a year
  • DebBahr
    DebBahr Posts: 110 Member
    Here are my stats

SW 208 - Sept. 2015
    CW 182 - Jan. 2016
    GW 160
    5' 9.5"
    50 years old

I have a mostly sedentary desk job. Per MFP I get 1250 calories a day. I usually eat back at least half my exercise calories to put me around 1450-1500 per day. I go to the gym 5 days a week. I do about 30-40 minutes of cardio and varied strength training.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!