Anyone who is seriously unfit/very overweight/obese tried Jillian Michaels 30 day shred?

2»

Replies

• rattiemomma
    rattiemomma Posts: 41 Member
    Like Sanfromny, I am on Level 2 Day 3. I really hate JM's professional persona, but I wanted a tough, short program and this is very inexpensive. Once I learn a level, I just turn the volume way down. I am majorly obese and out of shape. I can't jump because I have gigantomastia (my breasts are enormous) and my lower back and knees would explode. So, I do it, but I modify all the jumpy or bouncy bits. My planks and pushups are already better. I have wee little bicep muscles developing. My abs are nicely sore. I know I am not getting the absolute most out of it without the hardcore stuff, but I'm getting some benefit and completing the 30 days will help me form an exercise habit. Afterwards, I am planning to revisit some The FIRM videos I have with modifications to protect my knees and lower back. And then, I want to try Callanetics. Hope that helps in some way!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Like Sanfromny, I am on Level 2 Day 3. I really hate JM's professional persona, but I wanted a tough, short program and this is very inexpensive. Once I learn a level, I just turn the volume way down. I am majorly obese and out of shape. I can't jump because I have gigantomastia (my breasts are enormous) and my lower back and knees would explode. So, I do it, but I modify all the jumpy or bouncy bits. My planks and pushups are already better. I have wee little bicep muscles developing. My abs are nicely sore. I know I am not getting the absolute most out of it without the hardcore stuff, but I'm getting some benefit and completing the 30 days will help me form an exercise habit. Afterwards, I am planning to revisit some The FIRM videos I have with modifications to protect my knees and lower back. And then, I want to try Callanetics. Hope that helps in some way!

I am very top heavy also. I'm 5'2" and wear a size 34G. I wear a bra then a sports bra on top. That helps somewhat.
  • rattiemomma
    I also agree that Leslie Sansone's videos are a good tool to have in your arsenal. Although for me it's another "mute the trainer" series.
  • rattiemomma
    sanfromny wrote: »

I am very top heavy also. I'm 5'2" and wear a size 34G. I wear a bra then a sports bra on top. That helps somewhat.

I do that, too, but sometime I can't get out of them! Everything shifts during exercise and I don't regularly have the flexibility, dexterity, or wrist strength to do two sets of 4 hooks. Today I was sweating and winded just getting undressed to shower after working out!

I *really* like exercises I can do in a regular bra.

And surgery is so happening when I get to a healthy weight!
  • I started that video at my biggest and I almost threw up multiple times. Now I get through it a lot easier it takes time for your body to adjust to actually having to work hard,
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I did them when I was very unfit. I saw improvements BUT I ended up hurting my knee badly enough that I needed to stop. It might be worth it to do it every other day or every 3 days, but I did get bored really quickly too.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    I couldn't even do 9 minutes when I started, even doing the modified moves. I could only do about 5-6 minutes, then I tested for 30-45 seconds, and picked back up. It took more than 30 days for me to finish well, but I did. And it paid off, to the best of my memory, I lost around 15 lbs, and around 20 inches off my total body (bust, waist, hips, and thighs). I did Ripped in 30 after that. I still use both of them occasionally as cardio circuits.
  • pilotsroo
    pilotsroo Posts: 37 Member
    I couldn't even do 9 minutes when I started, even doing the modified moves. I could only do about 5-6 minutes, then I tested for 30-45 seconds, and picked back up. It took more than 30 days for me to finish well, but I did. And it paid off, to the best of my memory, I lost around 15 lbs, and around 20 inches off my total body (bust, waist, hips, and thighs). I did Ripped in 30 after that. I still use both of them occasionally as cardio circuits.

Ok, so it maybe worth continuing. I think I will take it easy and try to do the best I can. I am not expecting to be fit in 30 days. I'm sure it will take longer, I don't mind the work out but one of those 1 star ratings mentioned above kind of freaked me out. I don't want to damage my perfectly good knees lol. But I guess if I go easy on myself I should do any damage right? I'm totally new (again) to this exercise thing. Also, I might try what BioQueen suggested, and do it every second day.
  • mallyboo3533
    mallyboo3533 Posts: 41 Member
    I recommend the beginner shred. So much easier then 30DS but you still get a good workout in
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I was at 210lbs when I started that workout. It killed me but I kept at it until it was easy(way more than 30days, more like a year). Then I ran, then I went to boot camp classes, then I did insanity, set up a home gym etc. it has taken me 7years to lose 63lbs. A long time but I had to start somewhere right? Keep going! Listen to your body, but push yourself as well! You can do it!
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Suuzanne37 wrote: »
    One option is to try her Beginner Shred DVD, then move on from there to 30DS.

Ahh yes. This is where I am right now....Beginner Shred...and only on the 2nd workout. Such a process. Haha. I will make it to the regular 39DS...I hope.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    pilotsroo wrote: »
    Ok so I am wanting to know if there is anyone out there who has done 30DS who are/were seriously unfit or really overweight or both. I am really overweight and unfit too and I want to know that I'm not alone in this. I can only do about 9 minutes of it before I'm completely puffed. Anyone else like this? I want to keep going and work up to finishing the video! I have found a lot of really positive stories but they seem to be more from skinny-fat people than the seriously overweight!
    TIA

Beginner Shred is doable. I'm only on the 2nd workout of it. I am very out of shape but it works me and I need rest days but it's a good place to start.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Ok, so it maybe worth continuing. I think I will take it easy and try to do the best I can. I am not expecting to be fit in 30 days. I'm sure it will take longer, I don't mind the work out but one of those 1 star ratings mentioned above kind of freaked me out. I don't want to damage my perfectly good knees lol. But I guess if I go easy on myself I should do any damage right? I'm totally new (again) to this exercise thing. Also, I might try what BioQueen suggested, and do it every second day.

I did take a rest day each week, where I took a break from the DVD and just took a good walk at a decent pace. I spent 10 work out days on each level, so roughly 2 weeks each.

If you feel any strain on your knees, or any other joints, modify the moves. For example, on any of the squat moves, she says keep your feet at hip width, and set back, tracking knees over rows. I have to spread my feet wider or I get pain in the knees and groin. You know your body best, so work hard, but if you feel pain beyond muscle soreness (and you will be sore at the start of each level), modify as needed.
  • emilypink573
    emilypink573 Posts: 132 Member
    I was about 220 and extremely out of shape when i started my weight loss journey and i did 30 day shred that was posted on youtube. I think its a great beginner workout but you obviously have to pace yourself and not try to catch up. You will see an improvement.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    When I first tried it at 300+ lb I could not do more than a few minutes past the warm up either. You are not alone in this. Start with something less demanding . Beginner shred has been suggested and "Jillian Michaels Body Revolution" has a difficulty level somewhere between beginner shred and 30d shred.

If you find yourself unable to complete a set it's okay to stop with the intention of trying to push harder next training session and get at least one extra movement.