What do you miss after weight loss?

13»

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    I honestly can't think of a one thing that I miss. I guess I miss being able to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted but I don't miss the results of that. I'm fine with saving for one big meal a week.

I guess my only real complaint is that my boobs have NOT gotten smaller as I expected. So now I wear a very odd size bra and have to buy in a specialty store and I look a little out of proportion. They have always been a sort of embarrassment to me.

But oh well. Everything else is great. Overall I can't complain.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited January 2016
    Nothing
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I don't really miss anything, I felt awful when I was heavier and eating poorly (mostly just overeating, I don't believe in bad foods, just bad portions).
  • cthakkar1985
    cthakkar1985 Posts: 137 Member
    Getting to sit in the front seat of cars since I'd take up too much space in the back.
  • foiensoi
    foiensoi Posts: 49 Member
    Getting to sit in the front seat of cars since I'd take up too much space in the back.
    This is great!
  • jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm a little over half way to goal and half lost 42 pounds. I don't miss a thing. I love my energy and I love the compliments. I love running and my hip bones. I love having a space heater next to my desk because I don't miss sweating when everyone else was comfortable. I like looking at a plate of food and accurately knowing the calorie count because I've been counting for so long. I love knowing that I will live longer with my husband, children and new grandchild.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Nothing.
    I don't miss:
    -The crippling depression and anxiety that kept me housebound for the better part of a decade.
    -Dropping out of High School & losing those years of education because of aforementioned anxiety. I was an honour student. I'm now 22 and only just able to work on getting my diploma.
    -Having a miserable childhood because I was bullied all the time for my weight & missed out on so many milestones.
    -Only showering a couple of times a week because I couldn't handle the strain of standing that long & experiencing blood sugar issues that would make me extremely faint while in the shower.
    -Being hot ALL. THE. TIME. I'm talking, going outside barefoot in the (Canadian) winter and being fine. Winter was my favourite season.
    -Getting rashes on my neck and behind my ears from sweating so much in my sleep.
    -Having Acanthosis Nigricans due to being so overweight. Even when I could go out, I always had to wear a scarf to cover my neck. That has now completely cleared up.
    -Eating so much that I thought I would vomit.
    -Being so dehydrated that even after 7-10 stabs with the needle in various places, no one could draw my blood. (I go now & I'm in and out of there in 5 minutes, first try)
    -Eating with complete disregard for the quantity and quality of food I was putting in my body.
    -Sitting in my bedroom at 4am eating 3,500-4,500 calories of fast food in one sitting.
    -Having no sleep schedule. I would go from sleeping 20 hours one day, to not sleeping for 3 days.
    -Losing over 60%-70% of my hair's volume; Most likely due to untreated hypothyroidism and PCOS (male pattern loss). I still have to live with that, it sucks, but I just have to hope it will grow back.

Mostly, I don't miss being a victim. I have control over my life and how I choose to live it. I'm accountable for my actions, and I'm accountable for how I react to the actions of others.
    I spent too long letting food, anxiety, depression & fear of other people rule my life.

My life is a complete 180 from where I was 120lbs ago... So I'm excited to see where I will be when I lose this next 100lbs and hit goal ^^

I will never go back to where I was, it felt like a death sentence.

Truly incredible post - thanks for the reality check. I was just on another thread where an OP is concerned about wrinkles and saggy skin as she loses weight, which is a truly trivial concern in the long run. Thank you and I hope that you achieve all your other goals now that your physical self is so free.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    I miss:

Sitting in plastic chairs comfortably (sits bones!)

People not staring at me because I lost weight in my face and my cheek bones and nose are so prominent now

Finding clothes in my size. Stores around me tend to cater to larger sizes.

My winter insulation!

People NOT bothering me about my weight. I'm 142 lbs at 5 ft 3 . I still have a little way to go, but I'm getting the "you're to thin talk" already :(
  • superlauren11
    superlauren11 Posts: 20 Member
    KateTii wrote: »
    The only thing I consistently miss is being able to have alcoholic drinks without thinking about the number of calories in the drink + the food i'm going to eat afterwards. I still do have the occasional night of unrestricted drinking/eating but knowing the calories in alcoholic drinks has stopped me from having a drink after work many times!

This! I now "plan" my alcohol intake and the food I eat for a night out. Also, when I have a night of unrestricted eating/drinking I feel incredibly guilty the day after but I log it and try to move on.
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    juleelee wrote: »
    Funny you mention missing your big boobs...I can't WAIT to have my little boobies back! ;)

Amen! My husband strongly disagrees with this though. :wink:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    I understand where folks are coming from, but I'm still going to risk being Debbie Downer here about the "missing your boobs" thing.

One risk of obesity? Breast cancer. Less common in thinner women, though of course not entirely non-existent.

I've been obese most of my adult life. I was obese when I was diagnosed with stage III breast cancer, and had bilateral mastectomies - there were 5 tumors in one breast, and 1 in the other. I don't particularly miss my boobs - the darn things turned on me, after all. But maybe shrinkage with lost weight isn't the worst that could happen.

One of my motivators to lose weight was that I want to minimize my risk of other cancers: Cancer treatment was the worst hobby I ever had. So, some things I don't miss are increased cancer risk, or increased cardiovascular disease risk (my cholesterol & triglycerides are now solidly in the normal range, after being high for years). And my knee pain (torn meniscus) is dramatically reduced - don't miss that, either.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    For everyone who has issues with being cold, I have three words for you: heated mattress pad

You're welcome! :)

(and some are even dual controlled if you share one mattress with another person)
    I have a heated water bed. It is amazing!

That said it doesn't do me any good in the office when the men turn the heater down to 68/69 F because "We're so hot".
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Nothing.
    I don't miss:
    -The crippling depression and anxiety that kept me housebound for the better part of a decade.
    -Dropping out of High School & losing those years of education because of aforementioned anxiety. I was an honour student. I'm now 22 and only just able to work on getting my diploma.
    -Having a miserable childhood because I was bullied all the time for my weight & missed out on so many milestones.
    -Only showering a couple of times a week because I couldn't handle the strain of standing that long & experiencing blood sugar issues that would make me extremely faint while in the shower.
    -Being hot ALL. THE. TIME. I'm talking, going outside barefoot in the (Canadian) winter and being fine. Winter was my favourite season.
    -Getting rashes on my neck and behind my ears from sweating so much in my sleep.
    -Having Acanthosis Nigricans due to being so overweight. Even when I could go out, I always had to wear a scarf to cover my neck. That has now completely cleared up.
    -Eating so much that I thought I would vomit.
    -Being so dehydrated that even after 7-10 stabs with the needle in various places, no one could draw my blood. (I go now & I'm in and out of there in 5 minutes, first try)
    -Eating with complete disregard for the quantity and quality of food I was putting in my body.
    -Sitting in my bedroom at 4am eating 3,500-4,500 calories of fast food in one sitting.
    -Having no sleep schedule. I would go from sleeping 20 hours one day, to not sleeping for 3 days.
    -Losing over 60%-70% of my hair's volume; Most likely due to untreated hypothyroidism and PCOS (male pattern loss). I still have to live with that, it sucks, but I just have to hope it will grow back.

Mostly, I don't miss being a victim. I have control over my life and how I choose to live it. I'm accountable for my actions, and I'm accountable for how I react to the actions of others.
    I spent too long letting food, anxiety, depression & fear of other people rule my life.

My life is a complete 180 from where I was 120lbs ago... So I'm excited to see where I will be when I lose this next 100lbs and hit goal ^^

I will never go back to where I was, it felt like a death sentence.

This is written so nicely! I really hope you flutter thought the next 100lbs and hit your goal.

What do I miss? Nothing, not a thing. Yes having a smaller chest might seem a pain, or loose skin, but I am taking them all. Like the poster above, I was never in a good place and spent way way to long being a victim to myself instead of trying, much longer than she did! Yes, now, something isn't right with my body, but I would not trade it for being overweight/obese ever again.