Corned beef recipes anyone?

ifyouonlyknew1492
ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
Looking for a crock pot recipe for corned beef. All of a sudden I have a taste for it and thought a crock pot would be easy.
Can anyone recommend one that they've tried and liked?

Replies

• rachelrae74
    rachelrae74 Posts: 8 Member
    You can't go wrong with a traditional corned beef hash but I also love this one...

Tin corned beef
    2 tins chopped tomatoes
    frozen peas
    small chopped potatoes
    mixed herbs

Just bang it in the slow cooker and serve with fresh greens.
    also is delicious with a baguette!
  • UPOLegend
    UPOLegend Posts: 5 Member
    Something we love is tin of corned beef, potato slices, sliced mushrooms, peas, sliced onions, slice carrots, all layered in a ovenproof dish just covered with beef stock - so comforting!
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    What is tinned corned beef?
    You're looking to buy a whole corned beef roast and cook it, right?
    The classic recipe is very easy: dump in the roast with the juices from the package, add 1TBS pickling spice (dry spice aisle), and add water to just cover. Cook 5 hours on high or all day on low. Long cooking time is key to break down the tough meat of that cut. Do not salt: the meat is cured with salt peter, so you shouldn't need any extra.
    Potatoes and carrots can be tossed in halfway through cooking, cabbage during the last hour on low. My crock pot is small, so I don't have room for veggies. For that authentic taste I drain the cooked roast and use that liquid to boil the potatoes/carrots/cabbage. Quartered potatoes in the boil for 15 minutes, then add carrots and boil for 10 minutes, then cabbage on top of that for 5-10 minutes.
    When carving, slice the corned beef against the grain.
    All you need to make a hash with the leftovers is a little onion and rosemary! Use the leftover veggies, too.
    Also tasty sliced thin and put on a sandwich with swiss cheese and sauerkraut or coleslaw.
  • jmgarneau
    jmgarneau Posts: 1 Member
    UPOLegend wrote: »
    Something we love is tin of corned beef, potato slices, sliced mushrooms, peas, sliced onions, slice carrots, all layered in a ovenproof dish just covered with beef stock - so comforting!

How many carbs, calories? What was the serving size..1 cup or so?
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Throw the brisket, spice packet, two or three bottles of Guinness and 1/2 c. of brown sugar in the crock. Cook 10 hours on low. Boom.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    Corned Beef and Cabbage is pretty much what my mom did growing up (although she didn't use the crockpot). I think it's way easier :)

Corned Beef and Cabbage with Horseradish Cream Sauce looks really good, though!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited April 2016
    @jmgarneau when you make a recipe, you can weigh each raw ingredient and add it to the recipe builder. When you put in your number of servings, it will calculate for you. Another option is to weigh each raw ingredient and add it to the recipe builder, then weigh the finished product - minus the weight of the dish - and set that as your number of servings (ex 1000g = 1000 servings). When you ladle it into your bowl, you can log the weight as your number of servings.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Just an FYI, British corned beef is not the same as US corned beef.
    http://wearenotfoodies.com/corned-beef-far-more-then-the-atlantic-ocean-separates-the-difference/
  • ifyouonlyknew1492
    ifyouonlyknew1492 Posts: 64 Member
    Yum! Thanks everyone.