Low carb... Is it a diet fad?

Low carb is it fact or fiction? Fad or good? What do you guys think? Pro's or con's?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    It's not for me. I wouldn't want to live that way the rest of my life, and needed to learn to moderate the things that I do like, and learn to live within what are now my maintenance calories eating what I like.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......
  • jsa_mason
    jsa_mason Posts: 17 Member
    I've done low carb for 7 months. Calorie counting is way better and way easier to sustain.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Idk I think it's a way of eating, but it's not for everyone. Everyone needs to find that which makes this journey easier to them.

Personally I won't, and can't, do low carb. I have blood sugar problems (it just drops without warning), so I have to have carbs frequently through the day to keep it balanced.
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    Low carb is it fact or fiction? Fad or good? What do you guys think? Pro's or con's?

What you're looking for is called "Ketogenics", low-carb high-fat. It's a lifestyle and a complete change to mainstream eating misconceptions.

Carbohydrates are just sugars, sugars which need insulin to be processed, insulin which spikes when you eat carbs and stops the fat burning process.

Do the research, learn about the benefits of eliminating sugar from your diet, eliminating carbs from your diet, and adding filling and delicious fats and proteins to it.

Is it fact? Yes, Ketogenics is studied pretty extensively, with many scientific books written about it. The studies done around low-carb diets are incredibly telling.

Is it long-term sustainable? Absolutely, becoming "Keto-adapted" transforms how your body processes carbs and fats, and changes your metabolism significantly for the better.

Is it a fad? Nope, the traction Ketogenics is gaining for weight loss, as well as athletic performance, is tremendous. I think it will be the dominant eating diet in the next 10 years, and low-fat high-sugar high-carb will be considered one of the most harmful in human diet eating history.

What do I think? Everyone should give Ketogenics at least a legitimate 3 month shot. No carbs for 3 months. It's a challenge a lot of people can't accomplish. Why? It separates those who are dedicated to changing their body, and those who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend long.

Some of the cons: Bread is gone, that's tragic for a bread lover like myself. Lettuce is a poor sandwich substitute for real bread. Another con is how obsessed with carb counting you become, and even things with moderate amounts of carbs (20g) becomes entirely too much i.e. Fruit, yogurt, rice cakes

If you can overcome the first month of hurdles, change your mindset and outlook on what food is and what it means in your life, Ketogenics will absolutely lead to weight loss, fitness love, and eventually massive physical athletic benefits.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Just be warned, you'll get the usual Keto fans posting all sorts of fantastical claims for low carb if you start a low carb thread.

The average person here loses weight fine by just counting calories and without all the restrictions of keeping in ketosis. They don't bother posting about a cult diet fad.
  • ActionAnnieJXN
    ActionAnnieJXN Posts: 116 Member
    Separate, schmeperate. Lots of people lose weight and improve their health eating pancakes and burgers too. They just eat less of them.
    Nage3000 wrote: »
    What do I think? Everyone should give Ketogenics at least a legitimate 3 month shot. No carbs for 3 months. It's a challenge a lot of people can't accomplish. Why? It separates those who are dedicated to changing their body, and those who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend .

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Fact or fiction? It's a real way to eat. I am not sure what you mean with that.

I don't think it is a fad. That would imply it is short lived and it was not an uncommon way to eat up into the 50s. Atkins has been around a few decades.

It can be good for those who need to reduce carbs for health reasons or enjoy eating that way.

Pros and cons are going to vary between people. I eat low carb and have for some months now. For me the pros are:
    • Improved blood glucose
    • Improved autoimmune issues (pain reduction)
    • Improved cognitive functions
    • Improved energy
    • Fewer headaches
    • No more reactive hypoglycaemia
    • Better skin
    • Reduced appetite and cravings
    • Easy to eat at a slight deficit and lose weight
    • More regular
    • Excellent food
    • Improved blood lipids

The cons would be:
    • Inconvenience
    • Ummmm......

Cons would be no yummy carbs
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Fact. Good for some. I think some people legitimately feel more energetic, have less cravings/hunger, and are able to maintain or improve body composition on low carb diets. Even ketogenic (ultra low-carb) diets have legitimate benefits over other diets for certain populations.

I believe that the majority of the sedentary population could benefit from at least reducing carbs. One of the best pro's of a low-carb diet is that it can improve insulin sensitivity in ppl who are resistant.

Personally, I feel best on a moderate amount of carbs. The more active I am, the more carbs I eat.
  • JQuinnLife
    Orphia wrote: »
    Just be warned, you'll get the usual Keto fans posting all sorts of fantastical claims for low carb if you start a low carb thread.

The average person here loses weight fine by just counting calories and without all the restrictions of keeping in ketosis. They don't bother posting about a cult diet fad.

Truth, I'm guilty of promoting the eating style that I believe in, study extensively, and follow currently.

And while CICO is great for weight loss, it does nothing to address the real reason anybody wants to lose weight, health.

Can you lose weight and become healthier with CICO?
    Yes

Can you lose weight and become healthier with Ketogenics?
    Yes

Then why do Ketogenics?
    Because for a fat person who has no idea what portions or dieting is, telling them to go low-calorie and low-fat usually means to go high-carb high-sugar. Which wrecks havoc on the body's hormone system and fat burning ability. Low-fat leads to hunger, which leads to going over your calorie restriction, which leads to just giving up. Not to mention how wrong most people are at counting calories or estimating weight or portion sizes of food.

Telling people not to eat carbs is simple and effective, without any of the usual pitfalls most people fall into. Many Ketoers suggest not even counting calories, to focus strictly on counting carbs, and that the calories, and the weight, will take care of itself.

Yes, you can lose weight just fine by counting calories and being strict to that. But I think there's a better way that leaves you feeling better and not completely deprived of good food.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,359 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

Low carb isn't necessarily keto. Keto is usually 25gm carbs or below. Low carb can be anywhere below 100gms.
    It's hardly a cult fad diet its been around for a long time.

OP low carb may or not work for you and your current circumstances. Find a way of eating that helps you adhere to whatever program you do, whether that is calorie counting, WW, lchf, smaller portions, IF. primal, paleo etc. Whatever it is, it needs to be sustainable for you.

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    It's a legitimate way of eating that some people need for medical reasons and others choose.

Me, I love my carbs, so not for me. And I'm still losing weight, and eating the things I love.
  • I wouldn't call it a fad, just another means to lose weight via CICO. It's not for me but it works for a lot of people.
  • Separate, schmeperate. Lots of people lose weight and improve their health eating pancakes and burgers too. They just eat less of them.
    What do I think? Everyone should give Ketogenics at least a legitimate 3 month shot. No carbs for 3 months. It's a challenge a lot of people can't accomplish. Why? It separates those who are dedicated to changing their body, and those who buy Fitbits then eat pancakes, burgers, and drink beer all weekend .

I'd wondered when you'd enlighten us with your knowledge.

There's another thread going on right now by a woman who lost 275lbs. An MFP friend of mine has lost 350lbs. There's plenty of people on MFP who have lost significant weight via various methods. They must not be dedicated because they didn't do it with Ketosis.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,789 Member
    2013 NSCA Personal Trainers Conference: Looking Back at my Debate with Dr. Jeff Volek

by Alan Aragon

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2013/03/13/2013-nsca-personal-trainers-conference-looking-back-at-my-debate-with-dr-jeff-volek/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Why would I cut carbs and try keto for 3 months when I've lost over 53 lbs and been in maintenance almost a year eating 250-350g carbs daily?

It's all very well enjoying your way of eating but when you attribute magical properties to it or say everyone should do it you're simply wrong ...nobody likes evangelists

I did actually keto for a few months in my yo-yo years ..,crashed and burned
  • JQuinnLife
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    2013 NSCA Personal Trainers Conference: Looking Back at my Debate with Dr. Jeff Volek

by Alan Aragon

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2013/03/13/2013-nsca-personal-trainers-conference-looking-back-at-my-debate-with-dr-jeff-volek/

I went on to examine the common methodological limitation of low-carb versus low-fat comparisons failing to match protein intake. As such, the advantage of greater thermic effect, satiety, and lean mass retention will strongly favor the groups whose protein is optimized, or at least adequate. Low-fat/high-carb treatments often fall short of adequate protein intake, and the disadvantages are inherent.

The argument Alan Aragon makes against low-carb is that low-carb has the unfair advantage of being also higher-protein..... Hmmm.... Interesting argument
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

by Alan Aragon

I went on to examine the common methodological limitation of low-carb versus low-fat comparisons failing to match protein intake. As such, the advantage of greater thermic effect, satiety, and lean mass retention will strongly favor the groups whose protein is optimized, or at least adequate. Low-fat/high-carb treatments often fall short of adequate protein intake, and the disadvantages are inherent.

The argument Alan Aragon makes against low-carb is that low-carb has the unfair advantage of being also higher-protein..... Hmmm.... Interesting argument

You don't read well huh?

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    If you can't sustain a low carb diet the rest of your life and you're just doing it to lose weight, then yes it's a fad diet.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    edited January 2016

Is it a fad? Nope, the traction Ketogenics is gaining for weight loss, as well as athletic performance, is tremendous. I think it will be the dominant eating diet in the next 10 years, and low-fat high-sugar high-carb will be considered one of the most harmful in human diet eating history.
    Ketogenic diets aren't very good when it comes to adding muscle. mTOR pathway is disrupted. And many athletes rely on trying to put on some muscle mass for elite level sports.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png