Making working out a routine

I just downloaded the app. I've been making some heathy life changes since November but I'm ready to kick it into high gear! Looking for some tips on working out daily and how to make it routine. Definitely set a goal for 10x a week. Going for 2x daily 4 times a week. Any tips??

Replies

• gbasra95
    gbasra95 Posts: 8 Member
    bkinsell wrote: »
    I just downloaded the app. I've been making some heathy life changes since November but I'm ready to kick it into high gear! Looking for some tips on working out daily and how to make it routine. Definitely set a goal for 10x a week. Going for 2x daily 4 times a week. Any tips??

What are your goals?
  • JQuinnLife
    JQuinnLife Posts: 102 Member
    bkinsell wrote: »
    Looking for some tips on working out daily and how to make it routine. Definitely set a goal for 10x a week. Going for 2x daily 4 times a week. Any tips??

My suggestion: progress slowly.

2x daily is a massive drain on energy and will power, so work it up slow.

Add just 2x a week at the same time. For me it's after work at 5:30pm, I get off work and head straight to gym. I can't not go if I do it at the same time everyday.

Then ramp up the amount of times you go, from 2x a week to 4x a week. But do it after a couple weeks, let your body and mind adjust to the effort and routine.

Then after another month add 2x a week 2x a day workout. Then another month 2x a day 4x a week.

This slow progression is essential to developing the will power and routine building in the mind. Too quickly and you will become overwhelmed and give up. Think of squatting: you don't go under the bar the first week of working out and try to lift 500 lbs, no you build 5 lbs a week til you get there.

Honestly though, 8x a week, 2x a day is excessive.... If you're working out right you only need 3 lifting days, 2 cardio days.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Start 2 or 3 times a week with a decent progressive plan

Build in rest days

Do a combination of some kind of cardio...heart rate elevation for 2x20-30 minutes per week and progressive resistance

Your current plan is unsustainable, risks injury, and will lead to crash and burning

What are your goals?
  • bkinsell
    bkinsell Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks for the tips! Trying to lose 15-20 lbs. but really more so trying to get my endurance back. I'm running in the morning 1 - 1.25 in the mornings. And then resistance training or free weights in the evening.
    Just trying not to kill my legs or lose energy.
  • tazzle29
    tazzle29 Posts: 11 Member
    Have you seen Any weight changes running the 1-1.25 miles?
  • Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    I am a fan of the twice a day work-outs. I do my cardio during the day and lifting in the evening. mostly because of time and also because it gives you a good rest. My rest period is my 8 hour job that always cuts short my workouts, darn it!!