In your 30's ...

Options
2»

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    im 38 and lost 70 something pounds last year.

all i did in my 20s was gain so...... yeah. much easier to lose now than then ;) lolol

and oh i count every calorie and workout 7 days week (5 at gym and i jog every day)
  • SkinnyBitchMode19
    SkinnyBitchMode19 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone, all your comments are super helpful and I'm going to take a sharper look at cals in vs cals out. I just got a Fitbit hr so I'm looking forward to that extra push as well.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've tried numerous times in my late teens/early twenties, but never succeeded. When I started on MFP a year ago (age 31), I was the heaviest I've ever been. I'm now down to the weight I was 9 years ago and it's been easy peasy. 70 pounds down, 40 to go.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm starting to wonder if I'm not eating enough (I currently eat between 1200-1300 a day). I lost 40lbs in my later 20's (gained 30 of it back) and it's just not coming off as easily this time around. I refuse to give up though! Thanks again everyone :)

I found that I could never successfully lose weight the same way twice because I started out knowing the "cheats" and having bad habits

At 47 I lost 53lbs throwing everything I thought I knew away and just focusing on the umbrella of calories in vs calories out and then gradually learning from the source science about macros and nutrients and what works for me. After 30 years of yo yo dieting it is refreshing to be in maintenance with a lifestyle that won't "end"cos I'm at a goal weight
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and losing weight. I only have a few lbs to go now so it's taking a bit longer, but the last bit always does. I'm losing after having my 3rd baby, so I think having had 3 children relatively close together has made it a bit harder, and the fact that my 20 month old doesn't sleep all night has made a difference, but not my age.

I was 33 when I had my 2nd baby and I lost 66lbs after her.

I'm a lot healthier now than when I was in my 20s. Back then I did loads of cardio, and ate under 1200 calories. So no wonder I was thin! Now I eat 1600 and do weight training. Plus having 3 kids, and working as a teacher, means I'm naturally more active. I suppose if you don't have kids and you do a desk job you might be less active in your 30s.

Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 and I lost my weight over the last year. It was much easier than it was in my 20s or earlier 30s because I finally understood how to do it and (more importantly) how to maintain it.

Did it take longer than it would have if I had done the same things in my 20s? I honestly don't know. What I know is that I saw consistent losses and I'm finding it easy to maintain.
  • NealNH
    NealNH Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    So I'm in my 30s for the second time (64) and I think the important thing is that harder refers to the fact that a persons metabolism slows with age, they tend to be more sedentary and have probably had their bad habits longer. I'm one of those who has been fat all my life and have lost lots of weight on many occasions. I can tell you that for me when I was younger all I had to do was cut back on my eating and I could generally drop 10 pounds a month. Now I have to restrict my calories and set aside time to exercise. I put into MFP that I am sedentary (office worker) and wanted to lose 1.5 pounds per week. I struggle to average 1 pound even though I logged everything every day, exercised 5 days a week and never ate back any exercise calories. I realize that everyone is different but this is my experience. I believe that it only gets harder with age so sooner is better than later.