Metabolic Syndrome and Fatty Liver

So, recently I was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome and fatty liver (??? - never having had a drink in my life....). Since weight loss is very difficult for me, I'm going to assume these two things may have something to do with it. If anyone has any experience in dealing with weight loss and these two issues, chime in!

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Cause and effect. The conditions are caused by not eating right or being overweight. Not the other way around.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure where your weight is now, but I associate those two conditions with being at least pre-diabetic. Lots of diabetes in my family, my mom and all 3 of her sisters, 2 of which have passed.

Did your physician speak to you about diabetes? Perhaps metformin?

ETA: other than medication you may benefit by moderating carbs, not necessarily low carb or keto, but at least moderate.
  • slb260
    slb260 Posts: 52 Member
    Thanks. I do not have diabetes, or even pre-diabetes at this point. No one has mentioned any drugs thus far. I eat quite healthy, as I cannot eat dairy, soy, gluten, nuts, eggs.....although I have a little bit of allergen free chocolate each day. I have been struggling to lose the same 20 pounds for years, and just can't budge it.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    My dr said if I have fat in other areas it isn't unusual for it to be in my liver (maybe i misunderstood), but she said if I lose weight it should correct itself. I do have diabetes.

I usually associate metabolic syndrome with high fasting blood sugar but I looked it up and that is only one possible factor:

Apparently, from the definition I read, I have metabolic syndrome, too, but it isn't a diagnosis.

I am just beginning to start over losing weight. If you want you can add me as a friend. We are different, because my biggest issue is the blood sugar. I have high lipids, too.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Open your diary and people will help you. You could be short on protein, fiber, or your intake of vegetables and fruits, even good fats. My diary is open.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    edited January 2016
    Cause and effect. The conditions are caused by not eating right or being overweight. Not the other way around.

Exactly. Don't overthink it. Get your weight down and do at least the minimum recommended exercise (150 minutes moderate cardio, 2/3 days strength).

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    The best thing you can do is get your weight down. Metabolic syndrome is generally brought on by poor diet and lack of physical activity...so turn those things around...eat better and get moving.

Most people who have metabolic syndrome are insulin resistant, even if they're not full blown diabetic...you would do well to follow a diabetics diet even if you're not diabetic at this point. This doesn't necessarily mean low carb, but you should probably moderate your carbs and make better choices as to what make up that particular macro...i.e. more veg and some fruit, whole grains, and whole food starches.

As I recall, you have to be diagnosed with 3 of 5 factors the be diagnosed with metabolic syndrome...which three for you?
  • slb260
    I think I have everything but the excess abdominal fat - obviously I need to lose weight, since I'm here, but I'm not apple shaped. However, I am only on minimal medication for high blood pressure - no medication for anything else, so I guess none of them are at a point where they need medical intervention.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Yep - You gotta cut carbs to burn that fat off that liver. Keep under 100 grams\day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease - NAFLD. Too much soda / fructose might be a factor. Elevated blood pressure is probably pointing to elevated blood insulin with diabetes on its way down the track.

Short sharp weight losses have been shown to beneficially reduce liver fat.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    slb260 wrote: »
    Thanks. I do not have diabetes, or even pre-diabetes at this point. No one has mentioned any drugs thus far. I eat quite healthy, as I cannot eat dairy, soy, gluten, nuts, eggs.....although I have a little bit of allergen free chocolate each day. I have been struggling to lose the same 20 pounds for years, and just can't budge it.

You likely do, the doctor just did not put it in those terms.

Do you know your fasting blood sugar and your A1C? If not, ask to have those tests done.

A lower-carb diet (not necessarily Adkins, just a more moderate approach to carbs) and lots of exercise are the key.
  • azulvioleta6
    In eating gluten-free, do you consume a lot of rice and/or corn?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    How are your triglyceride levels? Do you have a lot of belly fat? It's possible to have insulin resistance but not be diagnosed, that was my experience for about 10 years. Just an FYI.

The main things for you will be weight loss, so focus on getting good at tracking and hitting your calorie goals. You may find it helpful to moderate carbs (about 30g per meal of starchy/sugar foods, ignore carbs from fiber, non-starchy veggies, fruit), and include protein and healthy fat every time you have starchy/sugary carbs. However, the most important thing again will be the overall calories, so if you are hitting your calorie goals you are doing well.

Then I would say increasing your overall activity level, including walking and strength training will make a BIG difference for your health. Also, try to increase your sleep and follow a regular sleep schedule.
  • Haleycz496
    Haleycz496 Posts: 26 Member
    I actually did research on metabolic syndrome and what we found at the university is the only thing that can reverse metabolic syndrome (which is a cluster of specific risk factors including high blood pressure, high triglycerides, being overweight, high blood glucose, and low HDL cholesterol levels) is eating healthy and exercising. About 30 mins a day even is good enough. It isn't just about calories, but make sure you watch sugar, sodium, and fat content in what you eat. It's important to do adopt a healthy lifestyle because metabolic syndrome is a huge risk factor for cardiovascular disease and diabetes! If you have any more questions about it, PM me :)
  • slb260

I don't eat corn at all. Some rice, but not excessive amounts. My naturopath wants my carbs under 150g a day, and I find that easy to do.
  • slb260
    Haleycz496 wrote: »
    I actually did research on metabolic syndrome and what we found at the university is the only thing that can reverse metabolic syndrome (which is a cluster of specific risk factors including high blood pressure, high triglycerides, being overweight, high blood glucose, and low HDL cholesterol levels) is eating healthy and exercising. About 30 mins a day even is good enough. It isn't just about calories, but make sure you watch sugar, sodium, and fat content in what you eat. It's important to do adopt a healthy lifestyle because metabolic syndrome is a huge risk factor for cardiovascular disease and diabetes! If you have any more questions about it, PM me :)

thanks! I may just do that. :)
  • slb260
    Haleycz496 - I tried to send you a message, but it didn't go through. I'll have to try again later.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    NAFLD - non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. I would ask your doctor to explain it better so that you understand rather than listen to people on the internet. There may be some helpful credited websites for you to learn how the mechanisms work. Working on your healthy habits and weight loss will help though :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    How is your blood sugar doing? Talk to your doctor about what your blood sugar is like and what your lipids are like in relation to these problems you are having, and what treatment is recommended. Everyone I know with those two issues is having blood sugar and lipid problems. I'm on a statin as dietary control did not change my lipids. Working out does help make your blood sugar more stable along with eating lower glycemic foods. Some types of rice are lower (basmati) and some are higher (jasmine) for example. You may want to see a nutritionist or dietitian in addition to your regular doctor.
  • azulvioleta6
    slb260 wrote: »

I don't eat corn at all. Some rice, but not excessive amounts. My naturopath wants my carbs under 150g a day, and I find that easy to do.

Yes, that is a good goal to start with.

Track carefully, and you may see that going even a little lower (say 100G) works even better. It is possible to have a pretty complete and varied diet at that carb level.

Rice, especially white rice, tends to spike blood sugar more than other carbs for some people, so that is something to be careful about. I love, and continue to consume, brown rice, but I find that I need to limit myself to half a serving. Just something to watch out for and take note of as you track.