Mom has Stage 4 kidney failure any Diet Plan Ideas?

Does anyone know of a good diet plan/recipes to help reverse it's stage 4 kidney disease? My mom was just diagnosed and doesn't want to do dialysis. The whole family is trying to get healthy and keep each other motivated to live a healthier lifestyle.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    All I know about kidney failure is that you need to limit your protein. Is there a chance your mother can see a registered dietitian experienced with renal diets?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    When my grandfather had kidney issues, he consulted with a registered dietitian in order to get a plan customized for his specific needs. Diet is important for people with kidney issues -- it's not something you really want to crowdsource on the internet. Talk to professionals! Good luck!
  • emcclain951
    emcclain951 Posts: 19 Member
    We have an appointment tomorrow which will definitely help educate us on everything.. She just found out last week that it progress as far as it did.. I'm going with her for support and to learn. We haven't shared the news with all of our family yet so it's kinda nice talking to you MFP people..
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Hey! I'm studying now to get my RD. Stage IV CKD means that her GFR is 15-30 mL/min (and therefore her kidneys aren't filtering out the waste products as they should, causing a condition known as uremia). Normal GFR is 90-120 mL/min. Since I don't know specifically all of her lab values and haven't talked to her doctors, I couldn't say what kind of diet she needs to eat. There are specific levels of potassium, phosphorus, and sodium she should be eating, and dialysis could help to ensure she isn't putting too much stress on her kidneys, transitioning her to end stage renal disease. There are only 5 stages and ESRD is the 5th. I would urge her to talk to her doctor, dialysis tech, or RD to figure out a plan. At this point, dialysis or kidney transplant will probably be necessary in the future. She may be a candidate for peritoneal dialysis, which allows people to live more normal lives, but she would have to listen to a doctor and ask questions to find out if that is the case. PLEASE talk to someone qualified to handle her CKD, not someone on My Fitness Pal.
  • emcclain951
    Feeling negativity from some MFP People on here please don't worry my mom is in good hands and she is getting professional care just thought I could get some recipes ideas maybe even some positive vibes.. Trust me I'm not seeking for any medical advice from the site or anybody on here.
  • singingflutelady
    I know you aren't asking for medical advice but most of us don't know much about renal disease so we are scared to make suggestions because some food can make the situation worse. I understand you though. I have a very restrictive (food wise not calorie wise)diet for medical reasons (Crohn's disease) and I asked about people's experiences and got the same answers. I have since learned that it is highly individualized so I went to a dietician to help me out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Feeling negativity from some MFP People on here please don't worry my mom is in good hands and she is getting professional care just thought I could get some recipes ideas maybe even some positive vibes.. Trust me I'm not seeking for any medical advice from the site or anybody on here.

I would say most MFPers are going to be pretty reluctant to provide dietary advice where there is a critical medical issue involved.

My dad had stage IV as well...I know he saw a dietitian, but I was far more informed on what he should be eating for his diabetes than his kidneys.

Good luck...and nobody is being negative at all...there are just certain realities at play here.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Talk to her doctor or a dietician referred by her doctor. There are special diets specifically for people with renal disease.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member

Sorry if you thought I was being negative. I saw you asked for a diet plan and were looking for reversal of the disease. I think it is great that you are trying to help and support your mom, so please don't take that the wrong way. So many people with CKD have comorbidities (like the dad of the above poster with diabetes) that it would be impossible for us to know whether she should be limiting carbohydrates or other things. I have had to make diet plans for people with renal problems, and it takes time to learn to balance things out. Nobody on here wants to tell you something or offer a recipe that could possibly hurt more than help. I'm sure your family will feel a little more comfortable knowing what to do after the Nephrologist/RD appts. There are some great recipes for renal disease on davita.com/recipes. Once they let you know how much protein, potassium, phosphorus, and sodium she needs, you can go on there and find some recipes for the family that fit into her plan. It is rough when family members are going through medical issues, and I hope you find some calm in the midst of this.
  • emcclain951
    Thanks I appreciate it @PlantBasedKnight
  • singingflutelady
    I would wait to see what the doctor/dietician says before starting any diet
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member

Sorry if you thought I was being negative. I saw you asked for a diet plan and were looking for reversal of the disease. I think it is great that you are trying to help and support your mom, so please don't take that the wrong way. So many people with CKD have comorbidities (like the dad of the above poster with diabetes) that it would be impossible for us to know whether she should be limiting carbohydrates or other things. I have had to make diet plans for people with renal problems, and it takes time to learn to balance things out. Nobody on here wants to tell you something or offer a recipe that could possibly hurt more than help. I'm sure your family will feel a little more comfortable knowing what to do after the Nephrologist/RD appts. There are some great recipes for renal disease on davita.com/recipes. Once they let you know how much protein, potassium, phosphorus, and sodium she needs, you can go on there and find some recipes for the family that fit into her plan. It is rough when family members are going through medical issues, and I hope you find some calm in the midst of this.

You didn't come across as negative to me. I thought you did a really good job explaining why the diet needs to come from the medical team.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    When you get the food plan information from the medical team, you and the rest of the family can help with with implementation.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    There are great recipes on the DaVita website.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Ask the Nephrologist about Kidney Smart classes. Food for stage 4 should follow labs. Think low phosphorus, especially inorganic added phosphates in processed food and dark sodas. She might also need a binder medicine with meals and snacks. She might need to limit potassium too. Tell her not to overdo protein or use protein powders. Low sodium is usually recommended. And don't dehydrate. She should avoid over the counter pain meds and laxatives and most otc drugs until she talks with the Nephrologist about the safer ones. A renal dietician would be a great resource.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    https://www.kidney.org/

Under "patients", there's a "nutrition" category, and the bottom left picture there is "recipes".
  • emcclain951
    Thank you! I'll be doing most of all her cooking... so just looking for some ideas.