Cheat Day Or No Treat Day?

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    I don't really do cheat days. I just work whatever I want to eat into my calorie goal. It keeps me from feeling deprived and also stops me from bingeing. I don't really feel like I'm dieting. I'm just watching my portions. I don't really worry about going over my goal on days like Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthdays etc. I try to get in an extra workout on those days, but I eat whatever I want. I do try to keep my portions sane, but I try not to stress about it.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    I try really hard to not have a cheat day, but rather a "cheat" meal, or something I wouldn't normally eat. Life happens. My friend wants to celebrate her bday with a night out with a beer and girl scout cookie pairing/tasting, and you bet I'm going to go! But I won't let the whole day fall apart and I will probably work out a little more than normal to prepare for it.
  • Sredster
    Sredster Posts: 22 Member
    When I first started exercising I wasn't going to have any but then I felt burned out and really craved a cheat meal. So after my first month or so I started to do a cheat meal every week. It wouldn't exceed 600 calories though. So I still haven't gotten fast food since July of 2015!
  • katiebean
    katiebean Posts: 110 Member
    I often have a day (or two) of the week where I eat or drink a lot and go hundreds over my calorie goal but I don't feel bad about it. I also usually have little treats throughout the week. Neither seem to have derailed my weight loss. We all need treats :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I think the "cheat" mentality is all wrong...to think you're going to be 100% bang on all of the time with your nutrition or your exercise is a hugely unrealistic expectation. Life happens...I don't consider that to be "cheating"..."cheating" inherently implies that I'm doing something wrong..."cheating" implies doing something shameful...personally, I don't put that kind of moral value on my diet.

I eat well most of the time...'cuz that's what's important...going out with my boys to the monster truck show and having some junk food on a Saturday night is pretty friggin' irrelevant to the way I live my life as a whole...I don't think of it as "cheating"....I don't plan a day of *kitten*...I just roll with life. So long as I'm kicking *kitten* 80-90% of the time, what difference would it make? Big picture...logical thinking...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I sometimes plan ahead to have a higher calorie day or two on the weekend, like if I'm planning to go out to eat or want something that is harder to fit in (less of an issue since I've been at maintenance). I eat a little less on the other days to allow for this.

I don't really think of it as a cheat day (or even a treat day).
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,950 Member
    Sredster wrote: »
    When I first started exercising I wasn't going to have any but then I felt burned out and really craved a cheat meal. So after my first month or so I started to do a cheat meal every week. It wouldn't exceed 600 calories though. So I still haven't gotten fast food since July of 2015!

I wouldn't consider a meal under 600 calories to be a cheat meal.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    every day is a treat day! and I got nothin' to cheat on.
  • dearmrsowl
    dearmrsowl Posts: 151 Member
    I just work whatever I want into my daily calories or try to make a calorie-friendlier version of whatever it is that I'm craving. On holidays I usually don't care about the calories but try to not totally overeat and still log everything. I know that not everything is ruined by one 'bad' day since I didn't gain all the weight in just one day. However, I know that for me regular cheat days would probably ruin my week's progress.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    edited January 2016
    I do a cheat meal. I track and eat what I normally would for breakfast and lunch. For supper, I go out to eat and get what I want (within reason). Then, since I love to bake, I come home and bake a small batch of cookies for my family. Then it's right back to to careful tracking and calorie deficits the next morning.

I think a whole day of cheating would derail me fast!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    kimerfy wrote: »
    Do you have a treat day?? Or not? If So how often? Life's boring behaving all the time...

If your approach to this is so restrictive that you feel like you have to "behave all the time" then you are doing it wrong. Many people like the idea of a cheat day/cheat meal. I personally think that perpetuates this "bad food/good food" mentality, like it's all or nothing.

I prefer to continue to eat all the foods I love, in moderation. That means a glass of wine and some dark chocolate pretty much every single day. Pizza or a restaurant meal maybe once a week. If I know I'm going to have an event that is more indulgent, like tonight is my book club which will include lots of wine, appetizers, and desserts - then I will save up a few calories in the days leading up to it, but I still don't consider that cheating. Just a higher calorie day that I need to figure out how to work into my week.

• liliana8199
    liliana8199 Posts: 1 Member
    I do on the weekends.. but I don't go crazy eating everything on my way lol..
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I work in what I am craving- but I also try to keep portion sized down. If I really freaken want McD, then a home baked tender isn't going to cut it. But I get the kids meal instead of the adult meal. I find if I don't get what I am really craving I over eat on the substitute food which completely defeats the point. Luckily I also have an elliptical at home so if I am over I can run some extra minutes and burn off the surplus.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    I bank calories during the week so I feel better about eating treats when I want them.

My goal is 1400 per day. Fitbit/exercise usually gives me 100 to 300 on top of that during the week, depending on the day. And I will try to stay at 1300 or 1400 so I am "earning/banking" calories all week so that I can have an extra treat on the weekends.

Or, I will go for a long walk on Saturday morning so that I am able to "cheat" that night. It isn't really cheating, as I have the calories for it, but I am able to have more when I save some calories up. What's the point of being "good" all week and then ruining it on Saturday?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    My birthday I have myself a day of unlimited calories, butt that's about it. I usually try and work a 3000 calorie day into my week when I want it.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    I just try and work what I want in. Of course if it's thanksgiving or a holiday i just say *kitten* it. I tried to log on thanksgiving but, after 3 sam adams on an empty stomach I kinda just gave up
  • GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    I tried cheat days before, and it just didn't work. I would not recommend it. If you're interested in full story I posted it here : youtu.be/5zyz1kT7cxY?list=PLDcedYCe2jr79BRkJn7K7tjJPQx7P_gn6

I don't restrict my self from anything, I simply make it work in my food schedule and my calories.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    i am like many and i just work it into my day. my main focus is being more active and exercising regularly. i know that my food and drink will take care of itself once i am more active and exercise regularly.
  • happyscruffy
    happyscruffy Posts: 26 Member
    Never again :( over eaten about 1000+ ccalories (takeout) today and now feeling rubbish. In the future I will control my self better.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    My husband and I had been very good, working really hard, and each lost about five pounds. That's it! We deserve a treat! We went to our usual steak place, ordered our usual meals and were only able to eat about half of what was on our plates. Onion ring appetizer, 10 oz of prime rib, baked potato, steamed veggies and... I ate two onion rings, less than half my meat, half my baked potato, all of my veggies and I was so full that I didn't want any dessert after. I came in under my calorie count for my "splurge". Now, I don't worry about it. I go out, I eat what I want, and if I go over a bit, I don't stress about it.