Losing fat while gaining muscle

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Good luck. Tried for 6 months. Gained strength ish and definition will little mass.
  • William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    yeah no..better off just going through cut/bulking cycles. Possible to gain strength while losing fat yes but muscle..no unless they're noobie gains.
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    In most cases it’s just not realistic that you’re going to build a significant amount of muscle and lose a significant amount of fat at the same time. It can be done in some cases (due to extremely good genetics or “extracurricular” supplementation), but it’s rare.

Better to choose a primary goal, whether it’s to bulk up and build muscle or to lean down and lose fat. Once you’ve reached a level in either direction that you’re happy with, you can change goals if desired.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    What they said. If you want to be effective, you have to pick a direction (gain weight or lose weight), and gain muscle or preserve muscle accordingly. There are examples of muscle gain during fat loss, but this only ever happens to those who start out obese, or to those using steroids. If you don't fall into those categories, it's not going to happen.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I think body recomp is a good choice for some. At one point, I thought it was for me. Definitely not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Not at all surprising - a group of young men starting out not in great shape and taking on a novel training regime have huge advantages in terms of muscle building potential whether in a deficit or not. And it's only a month - the big calorie deficit would have caught up with them I assume with a longer period.

No really any different to many other studies that have shown same kind of results.
  • romero_hector
    romero_hector Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone I am new here.
    If your goal is to gain muscle and strength but keeping your body fat low then you need to bulk up. First by lifting heavy and low reps. When you get to a desired point then you need to start cutting it by lifting lighter and higher reps. I believe its easier to chisel down the muscle mass than to start from nothing and try to build muscles and loose fat at the same time. Everyone's body is different and results will be too you need to find what will work for you. you will loose some strength and bulk but at the end you will still have gained it and still be bigger and stronger than when you started.-

Good Luck
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Actually higher reps with moderate weight have shown to result in greater muscular hypertrophy than with high weight low reps, when switching to cutting. It's better to preserve strength with lower reps and high weight.
    Hello everyone I am new here.
    If your goal is to gain muscle and strength but keeping your body fat low then you need to bulk up. First by lifting heavy and low reps. When you get to a desired point then you need to start cutting it by lifting lighter and higher reps. I believe its easier to chisel down the muscle mass than to start from nothing and try to build muscles and loose fat at the same time. Everyone's body is different and results will be too you need to find what will work for you. you will loose some strength and bulk but at the end you will still have gained it and still be bigger and stronger than when you started.-

Good Luck