Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    edited January 2016
    Eidian wrote: »
    Name: Sean
    Weight: 358 lbs (down from 370)
    Height: 6'3"
    OMAD time: Around 5pm, though this can vary a bit based on college schedule, but generally "dinnertime" is what I go for.
    OMAD start date: 1/29/16

Hello everyone.

So, I've been aware of OMAD and intermittent fasting for many years now (Warrior Diet), but I've never really had the willpower to truly stick to a diet of any kind. I've gotten down to around 290 lbs in the past through a serious round of OMAD, but life got in the way and I ballooned up to my all-time high of 370 lbs. Since the New Years I've done a bit of a half-hearted diet and managed to lose 15 lbs, down to 355, but after seeing that success I got rather lax with my diet again and gained a few pounds back. Now I've decided to start a journal here to try to keep me on point because I've gotten very tired of the struggles I have with being overweight.

My goals overall are to change my lifestyle to that of having OMAD for the rest of my life, get a six pack (eventually), and to start lifting weights to strengthen my body as much as I can. I feel that losing weight will help boost my confidence and increase my ability to improve all aspects of my life. I'm also interested in solving some out-of-shape issues I've got like tight hamstrings, hips, etc. from sitting at the computer all the time.

Hi, Sean.

Welcome!

-Joe
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    welcome Sean! =)
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Welcome, Sean!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Hi everyone I'm Carla and im currently at 355.6lbs, and believe it or not that's not the heaviest I've ever been. I have lost 11lbs as of today which keeps fluctuating up and down so I figure I need to do something drastic to stop this nasty cycle. I have been on MFP calorie counting for the last 6 months. I stand at 5ft4inches do my BMi says if I don't change today, im going to die so my motivation is to be around for my three year old to grow up, and for me to meet my grandchildren. I am a binge eater, but I go through periods of not eating anything at all. The reason I have chosen start OMAD is because I'm really not hungry during the day but when I put my son to bed is when the cravings come. I survive on coffee with one tsp of sugar and some low calorie whitener during the day (I hope I can continue that?) and then my OMAD window is 6pm-10pm. I have no hard and fast weigh range I'd like to be, I just want to be healthy. I officially started OMAD yesterday.

You sound like an ideal candidate for OMAD (those who can go for times without eating usually are). First, follow my plan as I've laid it out, only making changes out of necessity. Later on, you can relax and sort of "lifestyle design" your way around some preferences. Second, just remember the no-snacking/one-meal rule. That is what will ultimately be your breakthrough--or undoing should you choose to ignore it. It's the snacking that releases insulin and gets us fatter. Third, expect and accept some hunger. It's a normal part of the life cycle. You have to become comfortable a little hungry. That's how the predators hunt and how we should be productive some of the time. But it won't be like that forever. There is a difference between hunger and starving, as I've said before, and in time, the new you will have a different set-point for both. It's hard up front, but gets easier. And there will come a time when you will work your way into better eating and a more active lifestyle demanding higher calories than when you are losing. You are literally saving your life here. So glad to have you--and the more you have to lose, the bigger your success story will be!
    First week update. Down about 4 lbs and amazed at ease of eating OMAD! Have some headaches and cold feet but getting easier everyday. Stomach seems to be in shrinking mode because my meals are getting smaller and better balanced. On to week 2! How did my fellow beginners do?

I was about the same as you. Good job, keep it up, the stomach does shrink!
  • blambo61
    Eidian wrote: »
    Name: Sean
    Weight: 358 lbs (down from 370)
    Height: 6'3"
    OMAD time: Around 5pm, though this can vary a bit based on college schedule, but generally "dinnertime" is what I go for.
    OMAD start date: 1/29/16

Hello everyone.

So, I've been aware of OMAD and intermittent fasting for many years now (Warrior Diet), but I've never really had the willpower to truly stick to a diet of any kind. I've gotten down to around 290 lbs in the past through a serious round of OMAD, but life got in the way and I ballooned up to my all-time high of 370 lbs. Since the New Years I've done a bit of a half-hearted diet and managed to lose 15 lbs, down to 355, but after seeing that success I got rather lax with my diet again and gained a few pounds back. Now I've decided to start a journal here to try to keep me on point because I've gotten very tired of the struggles I have with being overweight.

My goals overall are to change my lifestyle to that of having OMAD for the rest of my life, get a six pack (eventually), and to start lifting weights to strengthen my body as much as I can. I feel that losing weight will help boost my confidence and increase my ability to improve all aspects of my life. I'm also interested in solving some out-of-shape issues I've got like tight hamstrings, hips, etc. from sitting at the computer all the time.

Welcome!
  • nmidwood13
    nmidwood13 Posts: 12 Member
    Hi Everyone
    Just an update. I was down 4 pounds for my first week and that's without exercise. It wasn't terribly hard. I picked 7 to 8 to have my meal as that's when the family usually eats dinner. I really look forward to it and I know my snack with the meal is much smaller then it would be if I was trying something else. I'm usually full when I finish my dinner. I drink water or green tea all day and it just seems to really be working for me. I added exercise this week so we'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to my Super Bowl meal.
  • blambo61
    Great job, the 1st week you get rid of a lot of food weight / water weight. Exercise might make you gain muscle and hold onto water, so don't be surprised if you don't lose weight as fast as expected although your bf% should be improving. Also notice how the clothes fit. Good luck!
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Good job!
  • arguablysamson
    Good job!
  • angenscott
    angenscott Posts: 4 Member
    edited February 2016
    Angela
    5'6"
    Goal 140
    I have been using Mfp since 2012. I have lost 40 pounds, but definitely fluctuated a bit over that time. I can get down to 181 and then back up I go.
    The eating healthy I feel as though that is easy. However doing 6 small meals a day kept me constantly thinking about food. There were so many things I felt like I needed to cut out. Sugar being number one. Then portion control had control of me. When I was younger this is how I ate. I was healthy. Though back then I did not drink enough water. I started this Wednesday 02-03-16. Water is my meal replacement, I also like Bengal spice tea. If I am starving at 3:00am I eat Raw meal replacement it taste horrible, but whoa is it healthy.
    My big question is caloric intake? I walk my treadmill every morning for one hour. After I am done logging could still have between 900-1100 calories. Recommendations???
  • arguablysamson
    angenscott wrote: »
    Angela
    5'6"
    Goal 140
    I have been using Mfp since 2012. I have lost 40 pounds, but definitely fluctuated a bit over that time. I can get down to 181 and then back up I go.
    The eating healthy I feel as though that is easy. However doing 6 small meals a day kept me constantly thinking about food. There were so many things I felt like I needed to cut out. Sugar being number one. Then portion control had control of me. When I was younger this is how I ate. I was healthy. Though back then I did not drink enough water. I started this Wednesday 02-03-16. Water is my meal replacement, I also like Bengal spice tea. If I am starving at 3:00am I eat Raw meal replacement it taste horrible, but whoa is it healthy.
    My big question is caloric intake? I walk my treadmill every morning for one hour. After I am done logging could still have between 900-1100 calories. Recommendations???

Hi, Angela. Welcome!

Sounds like you just need to get creative with your beverages to succeed. There will be times of hunger, but you'll learn to work past them with the right frame of mind. It will be tough at times, but keep your fast and have a nicely define routine and you'll have the tools to do super-well.

On calories, you can track or follow the one-plate rule as I laid it out. It all depends on how you manage your life.

Feel free to start your own thread to update and track your progress!

:-)

-Joe
  • My name is Jen
    ...your weight 165lbs current
    ...your height 5'0
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing Menopause
    ...your goal weight range 120-130
    ...the time of your OMAD Dinner
    ...and your OMAD start date A few weeks ago

I have lost 5 lbs with OMAD, so far it is pretty easy except for weekends. Funny thing is this is how I used to eat normally years ago when I was thin.
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Jen. Welcome aboard the OMAD train. We're happy to have you!
  • PowerBlackout77
    PowerBlackout77 Posts: 43 Member
    Hello everyone! I am new here. :) Here is my intro:
    Jayme
    Weight: 242.6 pounds
    Height: 4 ft 10 inches
    Struggles: I have hypothyroidism (has anyone had this work with thyroid issues?)
    Goal weight range: 90-110 pounds
    Time of OMAD: 4pm
    OMAD start date: 02/08 - tomorrow! :D
  • arguablysamson
    Hi, Jayme!

Our own Kitty Gonzales has your condition. She'd love to help you out, I'm sure.

Feel free to start your own thread and post progress reports.

Regards,

-Joe
  • PowerBlackout77
    Hi, Jayme!

Our own Kitty Gonzales has your condition. She'd love to help you out, I'm sure.

Feel free to start your own thread and post progress reports.

Regards,

-Joe

Thank you Joe! I will be reading through her thread shortly. MFP tells me I should eat 1200 calories, is that too much or too little? I will start my thread tomorrow. :D

• Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    Welcome, Jayme. I look forward to your thread!
  • blambo61
    edited February 2016
    Welcome all. Look forwards to reading posts.
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi Jayme, welcome!! Sorry to hear about your hypothyroidism, I suffer the same. What has worked for me is cutting my calories serverly. It seems to be the only way to jolt the thyroid issue body into weightloss mode, otherwise it just dwardles along with tiny gram losses a week.

Im currently eating 750 cals a week (except Fridays - Friday is my day off, or treat day and Saturdays are around 850 cals) but this way has seen me drop a kilo a week without fail, since I changed my cal intake 2 weeks ago.
    Before that my weight loss was like a snail.....

I've now lost 7kg since December 19th from using OMAD, it can be done =)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me on my thread, I don't mind. =)
  • PowerBlackout77
    Hi Jayme, welcome!! Sorry to hear about your hypothyroidism, I suffer the same. What has worked for me is cutting my calories serverly. It seems to be the only way to jolt the thyroid issue body into weightloss mode, otherwise it just dwardles along with tiny gram losses a week.

Im currently eating 750 cals a week (except Fridays - Friday is my day off, or treat day and Saturdays are around 850 cals) but this way has seen me drop a kilo a week without fail, since I changed my cal intake 2 weeks ago.
    Before that my weight loss was like a snail.....

I've now lost 7kg since December 19th from using OMAD, it can be done =)

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me on my thread, I don't mind. =)

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry you have it too. It's not fun. I think I will do as you do and cut my calories. MFP told me 1200 but I thought that was too much. I'll start at 900 and see how it goes from there. I do plan on exercise as well. Congrats on the 7kg, that's fantastic! :D If I have any questions I will be sure to ask you. <3