hard gainer

spaintress84
spaintress84 Posts: 2 Member
I'm what you would call a "hard gainer". In order to gain weight I have to take in quite a bit more calories than I'm used to, which I tried before but seldom hit my target of 2400 a day and spent a great deal stressing about it so I stopped. Anyhow, this week I bought a bunch of Boost Plus to, well, boost my caloric intake without having to stress or force things down. I've been drinking two @ 360 cals each a day in addition to regular meals. It's really been a relief to hit my calorie targets without feeling overwhelmed. I don't have a scale so I'm not sure if I've gained anything yet, and it's only been four days, but I'm finally optimistic. Going to start strength training to build muscle tonight, hopefully the exercise will help me put the weight on as muscle which apparently is harder to lose than fat so if my calories drop temporarily I won't waste away back to a string bean immediately, like what happened post partum with both my pregnancies. Wish me luck!!

Replies

• spaintress84
    spaintress84 Posts: 2 Member
    Also, has anyone else had success with drinking Boost or Ensure? I'm a single mom and have little time or money to shop and make fancy shakes and the like.
  • kachedada
    kachedada Posts: 17 Member
    I try getting my protein and calories from regular meals, that's where I've had the most success. What foods do you like to eat and what do you typically eat?
  • chil1in
    chil1in Posts: 2 Member
    I have a fast metabolism as well and I have to constantly eat to gain. To save money I honestly go with whatever protein shakes are the cheapest and has what I need as far as calories, sat. fats, etc.. I figure as long as I'm meeting my daily goal I'm good! Also I'm not too sure how fond you are of raw eggs. But I'll throw one of those in a shake, I'll even eat 1 or 2 raw, that's 78 calories and they add up. They aren't that expensive where I am either. If you're anything like me you're fortunate enough to eat whatever you want and it just never gets stored, it's instantly burned. Anyway, I'm rambling! Best of luck! :wink:
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    No hardgainers, only undereaters. If shakes give you macros which you need then okey:) good luck
  • I use to drink the VHC Boost that was around 500 calories and bought it from Amazon, which helped me a great deal in gaining weight last year. I stopped for several reasons, one being I wasn't quite sure how healthy it was for me, two I simply didn't have much time to continue on my daily gain weight regime. Now that I am retuning back to my regimen, I will definitely do more research on it, if it turns out it's good for me, then I'll def buy it again. I hope that helps someone.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Hardgainer? Peanut butter and fluff sammich washed down with a cup of milk. 500 calories right there.
  • legacybush
    legacybush Posts: 78 Member
    Get a scale and 2400 isn't much at all
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You could just drink full fat milk?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I'm what you would call a "hard gainer". In order to gain weight I have to take in quite a bit more calories than I'm used to, which I tried before but seldom hit my target of 2400 a day and spent a great deal stressing about it so I stopped. Anyhow, this week I bought a bunch of Boost Plus to, well, boost my caloric intake without having to stress or force things down. I've been drinking two @ 360 cals each a day in addition to regular meals. It's really been a relief to hit my calorie targets without feeling overwhelmed. I don't have a scale so I'm not sure if I've gained anything yet, and it's only been four days, but I'm finally optimistic. Going to start strength training to build muscle tonight, hopefully the exercise will help me put the weight on as muscle which apparently is harder to lose than fat so if my calories drop temporarily I won't waste away back to a string bean immediately, like what happened post partum with both my pregnancies. Wish me luck!!

you need to get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts or all pro beginner routine.

where did you get 2400 calories from?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    oh and no such thing as a hard gainer…that just means you are not eating enough...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    oh and no such thing as a hard gainer…that just means you are not eating enough...

I wouldn't say there is no such thing, but it's limited to like 1% of people, and those people generally have hyperthyrodism.

There was one person I knew who maintain at 6000 calories or something crazy like that.

OP, just concentrate on high calorie foods: avocado, nuts, peanut butter, ice cream, full fat diary, red meats, bagels, pancakes, oils, marinades on everything, high calorie protein bars, high calorie protein shakes, drink some milk (even better would be strawberry or chocolate).
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member

First, make sure to increase your workout intensity. Muscles grow by adapting to stress. Challenge yourself in the gym by training near or all the way to your maximum capacity. Examine your training intensity and be honest with yourself.

Secondly, put your focus on getting stronger. The law of progressive overload is at the very heart of your entire workout plan, and if you aren't adding weight to the bar over time, you won't be gaining any reasonable muscle either. Focus on getting stronger and the size gains will follow with it.

Thirdly, increase your calorie intake. Without a daily calorie surplus, your muscles simply won't have the raw materials needed to facilitate growth. People ask me "why can't I gain weight" all the time, and the simple truth is that they aren't eating enough, period. If you can't gain weight, it means your calorie level is too low. This is especially important for the naturally skinny hardgainer. If you're an ectomorph with a fast metabolism, this is something to pay extra close attention to.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    No such thing as a "hardgainer" or "fast metabolism"

Eat more.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member

Eat more.

I must disagree to your statement.. Metabolisms constantly change based on your eating patterns. Two people can weigh the same weight and eat the same calories in a day, but one could gain weight while the other does not.

My metabolism is faster than what it was previously, because I manipulated it. Previously at 73kg I was eating 2200 calories to cut, currently at 73kg I'm eating 2400 calories and cutting.
  • psuLemon
    Snow3y wrote: »

Eat more.

I must disagree to your statement.. Metabolisms constantly change based on your eating patterns. Two people can weigh the same weight and eat the same calories in a day, but one could gain weight while the other does not.

My metabolism is faster than what it was previously, because I manipulated it. Previously at 73kg I was eating 2200 calories to cut, currently at 73kg I'm eating 2400 calories and cutting.

While there are some that can be considered hard gainers, it would be rare. There are various things that can cause a person to increase their calories: an increase in muscle mass (actually increase to your metabolic rate), different foods effect TEF, increase in Non Exercise Adaptive Thermogenesis (you just move more outside of exercise) and increase in exercise and/or intensity. The fist is really the only thing that effects metabolism, the rest effect you total daily energy expended.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

Eat more.

While there are some that can be considered hard gainers, it would be rare. There are various things that can cause a person to increase their calories: an increase in muscle mass (actually increase to your metabolic rate), different foods effect TEF, increase in Non Exercise Adaptive Thermogenesis (you just move more outside of exercise) and increase in exercise and/or intensity. The fist is really the only thing that effects metabolism, the rest effect you total daily energy expended.

Just a small correction, NEAT is Non-Exercise Activity Thermogensis, Adaptive Thermogeneis is a slight lowering of BMR which is related to wieght loss.
  • psuLemon

Eat more.

Just a small correction, NEAT is Non-Exercise Activity Thermogensis, Adaptive Thermogeneis is a slight lowering of BMR which is related to wieght loss.

Correct. That was a typo.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

Eat more.

Correct. That was a typo.

Autocorrect strikes again!
  • sarahi_jesus
    sarahi_jesus Posts: 10 Member
    Elite_nal I am currently going to the gym or work out at home.just started a few weeks, and doing strength training maybe 3-4 days a week. I am also taking Serious Mass protein shake ,that gives u about 1200 calories. This is how I manage to keep up with my daily calorie needs,which the app tells me I need about 2100 a day. I haven't seen any results though what am I doing wrong??
  • psuLemon
    Elite_nal I am currently going to the gym or work out at home.just started a few weeks, and doing strength training maybe 3-4 days a week. I am also taking Serious Mass protein shake ,that gives u about 1200 calories. This is how I manage to keep up with my daily calorie needs,which the app tells me I need about 2100 a day. I haven't seen any results though what am I doing wrong??

What are you trying to achieve? Also, two weeks may not be long enough to determine if things are working. Generally 4 weeks is more advisable. But if you are eating 2100 calories and not gaining, eat more. It really is that simple.