Fat girl problems :-)

So I am on week one of this new journey. And let me tell you I am in a snow storm of emotions and physical pains. Don't get me wrong I am embracing this journey, but it's very hard to wrap my mind around all of the things you are supposed to do and things that are major "No No's!" Has anyone else felt this sense of omg is it just easier to stay fat, or is it just me? Lol! I will just keep on keeping on. One foot in front of the next, right?

Replies

• LLT38
    LLT38 Posts: 170 Member
    Once you get going, no, you will never say it is easier to be fat. When your clothes are looser, your mobility increases, you have more energy, you feel more alive....no, it is not easier to be fat. It is awesome that you are doing this - keep going and look for new opportunities with your lifestyle so you don't feel deprived.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    There are no major "No No's". Do not let the diet industry, fitness magazines and everyone else make you think that being in shape requires strict rules. Aim for improvements. Find a sustainable method. Do exercise you enjoy. Making the process less painful and more enjoyable will keep you moving in the right direction.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 518 Member
    Don't frame it as fat vs not fat. Instead, look at it as a health continuum. You have uber gold star healthy on one side, and you have binge watching Mr. Robot with a side of deep-fried butter on the other. Some days you choose more healthy, some less, but on the whole, they work out more healthy than you were. Look at small, realistic milestones.
  • markizamkd
    markizamkd Posts: 3 Member
    So I am on week one of this new journey. And let me tell you I am in a snow storm of emotions and physical pains. Don't get me wrong I am embracing this journey, but it's very hard to wrap my mind around all of the things you are supposed to do and things that are major "No No's!" Has anyone else felt this sense of omg is it just easier to stay fat, or is it just me? Lol! I will just keep on keeping on. One foot in front of the next, right?

I usually stop when i think of th extra skin hanging :( But hey im on a day 28 and 5kg less though i need to loose 40kg at least :(
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    markizamkd wrote: »

I usually stop when i think of th extra skin hanging :( But hey im on a day 28 and 5kg less though i need to loose 40kg at least :(

I have lots of extra skin. I am lucky that I can tuck it into my underwear or swimming suit, but the way it feels to be healthier makes you forget all about "flaws" that are there as a testimony to how far you have come.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    No, its very easy to lose weight , the instructions are specific , just follow the instructions and don't over think anything.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Take your time. Like a lot of people, I have started this journey more then once, but I have found success. The first couple of weeks focus on logging and buying the right food... maybe you don't incorporate exercise for the first 2 weeks, or just do light stuff. You don't have to do everything at once to be successful. Just be patient, and it will start to come off.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    The first few weeks might be hard -- but it is actually easier to eat to a food plan using MFP. I save so much time just sticking too the food that fits into my calories and macro goals. And I feel 100% better when I eat this way that I do a lot more fun things. Also, by losing weight my clothes fit so much better, that I don't really have to worry about them so much. Feel better and save time! Definitely worth it!
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    As usmcmp said, there are no major "no nos". Just weigh and log your food and try to create a calorie deficit every day, even if it is only a small one. And by the way, logging becomes MUCH easier in a few weeks, as you will be able to select the foods that you have already logged in prior days and don't have to find them in the huge database again. You can do this -- we are all with you.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 818 Member
    I'll be honest not changing is easy; requiring no thought or effort, not always the best decision but easy. Choosing to be healthier is just a different path but you have to find the real motivation that works for you in order to stay on that path and not regress. You have it right one step at time. don't change everything at once. You didn't get to your current fitness/fatness level in a week, you won't recover in a week.
  • KittyInBoots
    KittyInBoots Posts: 226 Member
    I will honestly admit sometimes I think that it is 'easier to be fat'. You eat whenever and whatever... but believe me, once you start losing, and it doesn't take much, you will notice a difference! Not just looks but health wise... think of the stress reduced on your organs and body. Think of how lucky you are to be able to take control of your mind and body. You can do this!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Has anyone else felt this sense of omg is it just easier to stay fat, or is it just me? Lol! I will just keep on keeping on. One foot in front of the next, right?

I decided not to over-complicate it, so I ignored most of the "do this, don't do this" stuff. For example, if I tried to eat a bunch of minimeals or stop eating by a particular time (when I get home around 9 pm many evenings) or never eat pasta again I'd be miserable.

I decided to prioritize eating normal food I enjoy (within the context of a healthy diet, of course) on a schedule I like and learning how to do so within my calorie budget. That turned out to be not too hard -- I think most people can probably log a few typical days and figure out how to cut some calories painlessly.

Beyond that, I focused on making small changes rather than doing everything at once. Getting active again was important to me (as it's about fitness, not just weight loss), so I started by deciding to walk as much as possible (everywhere I could vs. driving). After I was walking a lot I added in some easy exercise that I knew I could and would do consistently (30 min on a stationary bike 3x/week) and gone consistent at that. Then I started adding in things that interested me -- getting back into running, weights, so on. Focusing on process goals like these (and stuff like meeting my calories, logging everything, cooking lunches for the week, etc.) also helped take the focus on the scale and helped me feel successful and like I had changed my lifestyle way before the scale was down all that much (I lost consistently but had a lot to lose).

Anyway, sounds like you have a good attitude and will get there. I just wanted to say it doesn't have to be hard or complicated!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016
    The first few weeks are the hardest, then it becomes a bit easier diet wise. You'll know what you can/can't eat or how much you can eat out of habit after awhile.

It was not just about looser clothes or better fitting clothes for me. My back became so sore I could barely roll out of bed. I was winded just going up the stairs. I had to take breaks walking up a slight incline hill. I tried to get on a roller coaster and had to get off because I didn't fit in the seat. There's major things that have happened to me to snap me out of it and get to eating better.
  • VigilantPuma
    VigilantPuma Posts: 3 Member
    Well let me just say, I have the same thoughts but they seem to be slowly going away the more I keep doing this. Even jogging s becoming addictive. Something I thought impossible.
  • Dajinkya
    Dajinkya Posts: 2 Member
    Consistency is the key!, keep doing it for 3 months, with bare minimum of 30 mins workout and slight change in diet reducing carbs. Will motivate yourself as u see progress in yourself..
  • kryssu
    kryssu Posts: 26 Member
    I am in the same position as you, only one week is over. Is very hard for me to keep going on, and I need to loose 55kg. Is hard because at my word everyone is eating from catering or is ordering food, and I need to eat chicken breat with salad, and it's frustrating. Not saying that, 3 people had birthday last week... I hope I can continue....
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    I will chime in. It definitely is not easier to be or stay fat. I lost 80 lbs and I am still "fat", even though I don't refer to myself as that. I get a little discouraged when I think of how much more weight I have to lose, but either way I have to keep living and if I go back to eating the way I did before I will be where I was before (or worse).
    I get up every morning and walk 3 miles. By the end of the day, my body is in pain from various parts of my body and I think I am so grateful that I can get up and walk.
    Overall, I would not change anything for my journey thus far. As others have mentioned, just take it day by day. Meal by meal if you have to. Pretty soon you will not even notice that you have changed your whole life style and how much better you feel.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Ohhh, you'll get it!! Remember not to start with too much ambition. Being motivated is wonderful, but whatever changes you are making need to be things you can stick to, pretty much forever. For that reason, lots of people here will tell you to not worry about exercise in the beginning, or just track and see where you are at in terms of calories each day, and then find a place to eliminate some.

Baby steps. No, it won't be fast, but if you make these changes so that they're not turning your life upside down, you will find in a month, three months, six months, a year from today, that you're doing great and you can keep it up! :heart
  • shrinkinmom1
    shrinkinmom1 Posts: 17 Member
    I have gained and lost 100 lbs 3 times. This last time I have kept it off for over 6 years. For many years, I was an all or nothing "Dieter". I could gain weight and I could lose it but I could never maintain a weight. The first thing I had to get over was that I did not have to be perfect. The last time I approached it differently. I refused to diet but started to make small changes over time. The first two things I did were...1. I got rid of my scale. I was one of those weigh 4 times a day people and if that scale didn't say what I wanted I used it as an excuse to abuse myself. Any weigh in could lead to weeks of bingeing on horrible food, which lead to years of yoyo dieting. Once I convinced myself that the number on the scale wasn't important I freed myself. It also made me much more in tune with my body because I had to pay attention to gauge how I was doing. The second thing I did was forced myself to eat slowly. I ate anything I wanted but I trained myself to do it really slow. I started by putting my fork down between every single bite and not eating while holding a conversation and chewing my food really well. What I found was I really started to taste my food and could walk away from food that didn't taste good. I taught myself to be picky. Also, try to take a bite of a Big Mac and chew it until it is liquid...its really gross and it is so much work to chew it I only would eat half. I was able to get my portion size under control. Then I was ready to focus on making better food choices and incorporating movement into my life.

I also recommend buying the book, The Food Rules by Michael Pollan. It is a really easy read and it makes so much sense. I still leave it on my desk at work and read a couple of the rules each day.
  • guslandrum
    guslandrum Posts: 27 Member
    I lost 70 lbs in the last year. It gets easier. Find your motivation. At first, for me it was to, just once, not be considered obese by all the weight charts. Now I'm considered fit by all measurements. The complements you get are great, but you have to do it for yourself. Do it because you love your body, not because you hate it.