A1c

shinycrazy
shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
I got my A1c back today and drumroll please.... its 5.4. I am over the moon! All my hard work is paying off finally. (started at 8.7 in July) I really needed this too because I've been sick and using that as an excuse to eat what I want. Between getting to go off my water pill for high blood pressure (yay) and eating out too much I'm up significantly. But it's ok. I know that I get results if I follow my plans.

Replies

• DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Congrats! What is your method?
  • shinycrazy
    I count carbs! 15g to 30g for breakfast and snacks. 45g for lunch and 60g for dinner. I've also lost over 70 lbs so that has helped too.
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Thats awesome!!!! NSV are the best sometimes
  • aztec707
    aztec707 Posts: 21 Member
    that's great :)
  • judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    That's great! When I started this journey my A1C was 14 and my fasting BS was 29. I'm trying to get to 30-45 each meal period and have lost a little.
    How much protein do you eat, or do you care?
  • shinycrazy
    I don't really pay much attention to protein at the moment. I have in the past, but I changed the macros I track to include potassium (i'm low/deficient" so protein had to go. I get pretty close to it usually. Here are my goals. I just looked at my reports and I have hit my protein in 17 of the last 30 days. So mostly I get it. :)
    Calories 1400
    Carbohydrates 123 g 35 %
    Fat 70 g 45 %
    Protein 70 g 20 %
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    shinycrazy wrote: »
    I don't really pay much attention to protein at the moment. I have in the past, but I changed the macros I track to include potassium (i'm low/deficient" so protein had to go. I get pretty close to it usually. Here are my goals. I just looked at my reports and I have hit my protein in 17 of the last 30 days. So mostly I get it. :)
    Calories 1400
    Carbohydrates 123 g 35 %
    Fat 70 g 45 %
    Protein 70 g 20 %
    CONGRATS!!! Awesome A1C!!! I have lost 63.9 and have pretty close ratios to you but eat a few more carbs..will let it go to 45%. You are a super star!! ⭐️

• shinycrazy
    edited February 2016
    CONGRATS!!! Awesome A1C!!! I have lost 63.9 and have pretty close ratios to you but eat a few more carbs..will let it go to 45%. You are a super star!!

Thanks Jane! I rather like being called a super star. :wink: :blush:

I've been slowly raising my carbs. It's nice to have a hamburger bun once in a while! I found I can have 60g at dinner where before it was barely 45g and still be in the green zone.
  • shippan
    shippan Posts: 46 Member
    you are an inspiration. just started here and I think MFP is the answer to getting my A1C down.
  • shinycrazy
    halemary46 wrote: »
    you are an inspiration. just started here and I think MFP is the answer to getting my A1C down.

Yes! I whole heartedly agree! It make simple something that can be so daunting. Good luck! Friend me if you like. My diary is open and I comment daily.
  • Luizam25
    Luizam25 Posts: 87 Member
    Lost 70 pounds from July to now?
  • shinycrazy
    Yes, it's actually 85lbs now. I was holding onto a lot of water weight from an illness.
  • JaneKnoll1
    JaneKnoll1 Posts: 406 Member
    Yes, it's actually 85lbs now. I was holding onto a lot of water weight from an illness.
    Awesome job!!!!!! I bet you feel fantastic!!
  • shinycrazy
    JaneKnoll1 wrote: »
    Awesome job!!!!!! I bet you feel fantastic!!

It feels pretty good, thank you!
  • eileen1934
    eileen1934 Posts: 21 Member
    You are an inspiration I am also trying to get my numbers down currently my A1c is 7.3 and I am trying without medication as Metformin is upsetting my stomach. Will try to follow your breakdown of carbs etc. and see if I can win this battle.
  • shinycrazy
    eileen1934 wrote: »
    You are an inspiration I am also trying to get my numbers down currently my A1c is 7.3 and I am trying without medication as Metformin is upsetting my stomach. Will try to follow your breakdown of carbs etc. and see if I can win this battle.

Good luck! I do take meds, so that helps me I'm sure. I'm hoping to be done with the Tanzeum (weekly injection that helps me make more of my own insulin) in August. I will likely be on Metformin forever since i also have PCOS. Best of luck! I feel like a moderated approach to carbs is much more sustainable than low carb for me personally.
  • Anita4Fitness
    Anita4Fitness Posts: 5 Member
    Very well done shinycrazy! I am new here and inspired by your success story.

A1C was 7.1 Nov. 24/15 and down to 6.0 Feb. 2/16 - however, I am on 2000 mg Metformin a day - eating <100 g carbs a day - dr told me no grains, no dried fruit - down 37 lbs from Spring 2015 - goal is to lose another 30 lb and be less dependent on Metformin.
  • shinycrazy
    Very well done shinycrazy! I am new here and inspired by your success story.

A1C was 7.1 Nov. 24/15 and down to 6.0 Feb. 2/16 - however, I am on 2000 mg Metformin a day - eating <100 g carbs a day - dr told me no grains, no dried fruit - down 37 lbs from Spring 2015 - goal is to lose another 30 lb and be less dependent on Metformin.

Sounds like you are really making strides! I have slowly been able to increase my carb intake. It's nice to have a hamburger bun once in a while! I've only been able to tolerate 1000mg of metformin, I'm in the bathroom all day otherwise :neutral: I bet you will be able to decrease it as you get your a1c down.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    A1C tested March 3 was 7.0. Yay. I'm doing my Snoopy dance. It was over 12 last Fall.
    In fact doc lowered my insulin a little bit. Hopefully not too far. I'd love to end up near 6 before too much longer with some more weight loss.
  • shinycrazy
    wdnisbet wrote: »
    A1C tested March 3 was 7.0. Yay. I'm doing my Snoopy dance. It was over 12 last Fall.
    In fact doc lowered my insulin a little bit. Hopefully not too far. I'd love to end up near 6 before too much longer with some more weight loss.

That is soo exciting @wdnisbet ! You really made a dent in that A1C! I love the numbers! They make me feel like I'm getting somewhere. Congratulations!