Dogs "sabotaging" weight loss.

Replies

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    shandy4487 wrote: »
    I love this thread! My dog thinks it's fascinating when I do yoga, sometimes he even does the "down dog" pose with me, haha

My big old dog does yoga! He does his poses after I do mine, before I take the mat up. He has about 2 or 3 poses, lol. His favorite is honest-to-God called 'Old Dog' (aka Thread the Needle). I didn't teach it to him. It was clearly named for what old dogs do to stretch :grin:

But he figured out from watching me that you do your stretches on a mat, one after the other. He also doesn't do 'his yoga' unless I do mine or have the mat out.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    Coley88 wrote: »
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
    My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

I know it's not your question, but a couple of times per week? Dogs should be walked a few times per day for getting rid of waste, getting rid of energy and staying in contact with other dogs in the neighbourhood. And honestly, if your dogs don't listen to you then they need better training, both for staying in their place while you work out and when you go for a walk. Poor beasts.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited February 2016
    Diva goes everywhere with me (she's an Assistance Dog) so gets plenty of exercise, but I think she'd go bonkers if she didn't go to the park everyday to check her peemail.

cjvtod4szifr.jpg
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Diva goes everywhere with me (she's an Assistance Dog) so gets plenty of exercise, but I think she'd go bonkers if she didn't go to the park everyday to check her peemail.

Haahaa, I've never heard anyone but my dad say that! Always makes me smile :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member

I love the peemail. That put a smile on my face this morning!
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Absolutely adorable pictures!!!
  • jfrye85
    jfrye85 Posts: 37 Member
    d2mj8ar7253r.jpeg

This little guy and his black lab brother think it's play time every time I start my yoga. They even try to jump on my treadmill with me, which I'm hoping stays unsuccessful.
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    shandy4487 wrote: »
    I love this thread! My dog thinks it's fascinating when I do yoga, sometimes he even does the "down dog" pose with me, haha

My big old dog does yoga! He does his poses after I do mine, before I take the mat up. He has about 2 or 3 poses, lol. His favorite is honest-to-God called 'Old Dog' (aka Thread the Needle). I didn't teach it to him. It was clearly named for what old dogs do to stretch :grin:

But he figured out from watching me that you do your stretches on a mat, one after the other. He also doesn't do 'his yoga' unless I do mine or have the mat out.

OMG that is so adorable! :)
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    your dogs would probably appreciate going on a walk or run with you.

my dogs get excited when they see me put my shoes on.....
    My husband and I take them on walks a couple times a week, I can't handle both by myself or I would take them right now. The boy loves it and I always have his leash, my husband has to take the girl because she is easily distracted and tends to pull.

I know it's not your question, but a couple of times per week? Dogs should be walked a few times per day for getting rid of waste, getting rid of energy and staying in contact with other dogs in the neighbourhood. And honestly, if your dogs don't listen to you then they need better training, both for staying in their place while you work out and when you go for a walk. Poor beasts.

The OP has said that she has a big back yard where the dogs go a lot each day and play and do their business. We personally do not take our two doggies on ANY walks. They are much more content to run free and play in the fenced back yard. Plus they are nervous nellies on walks and won't do their business anyway.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Dogs require more than a couple walks a week to be happy. I don't blame them for bugging you. Look at bicycle attachments and run each of them around the block once a day. Or take up skijoring. Whatever. As for the pulling, that is a training issue, and it's your responsibility as a pet owner to train your dog.

My dog is probably one of my biggest fitness assets, because even when I'm feeling lazy, I have to walk him, because he deserves it.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    edited February 2016
    We have 5 dogs, (golden, lab, Aussie, shepherd mix, jack/chi) we walk the 4 large ones in pairs, then the little guy gets his own. We're fortunate to have the "short walk" as a loop of 1.5 miles (the long loop is 2.5). The little guy does almost a mile round trip, and makes me jog. Takes about an hour and 15 to walk the 5. They get this 2-3 times a week in addition to having an acre to play in, free play is not the same to them as a walk, where they have to think. They get this in addition to any other workouts we do (cycling, or weights) . We have one old lab we adopted late in his life (9.5 years) and still very energetic. Completely untrained to the leash, but training and easing him into a correctly fitted Gentle Leader solved his pulling problems. The Aussie too was not trained to a leash at age 6. Also a halter style walking device solved his issues, he can go with just his regular collar now. Repetition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Walk Your Dog – Even If You Have A Big Yard.

A nice big, fenced yard can be a great place for a dog to play or hang out with you. But getting out on the town is also essential to your dog’s physical and mental well-being. Here are some of the reasons taking your dog for a walk is so important.

Most people underestimate the amount of exercise their dogs need. Lack of sufficient physical exercise can cause a dog to be frustrated and antsy, which often leads to behavior problems. Many owners think that their yard provides sufficient opportunity for their dogs to burn off steam. In reality, most dogs left out in yards on their own for hours spend most of that time lying around. Those who don’t often get into trouble and develop bad habits: They bark at dogs and people through the fence and come to believe that this is their responsibility; they dig, either through gardens or under fences; they eat poop or even potentially more harmful things.

Physical exercise isn’t your dog’s only need. Dogs need mental stimulation as well; and a backyard can quickly become boring. In order to provide the mental stimulation your dog needs, you need give him access to new sights, smells and experiences. Going for walks with your dog gives him a bit of physical exercise and gives you the opportunity to take him to new places, to smell new smells, and to meet new friends. On top of that, walks are a great time to get in some training, which makes them a great time to strengthen your bond with your dog. If your schedule does not allow for daily walks, there are likely a few high school students in your neighborhood who’d be more than happy to walk your dog for a very reasonable price.

So get out there and make your dog’s day: Take him for a walk!

- See more at: http://www.dogcollarsboutique.com/dog-collars-blog/dog-training-3/walk-your-dog-even-if-you-have-big-yard/#sthash.vMo7ftR0.dpuf
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Thank you so much for this thread and all the photos. It reminded me my little office assistant used to crawl on top of me when I did crunches. She added a little extra resistance. Very helpful. And the kisses in pushups. She is dearly missed! RIP.
    mofbz593rb1p.jpg
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The deal breaker for my fiance and me is that he firmly believes dogs should be outdoor pets and I firmly believe that they are pack animals who should be inside with their pack :(

duk22d4k9yu3.jpg

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Walking them separately isn't really option. Honestly this was meant more as joke thread because they're goofy and just love attention.

My cat likes to do yoga with me. Well, more like she likes to lay and roll around on my mat while I'm in a pose.
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    0mmbxu8gcebm.jpg
    5znxw3wfpj8y.jpg
    hx84cibdizgb.jpg
    ve9wbt8om36x.jpg
    3e8a4eiai0yn.jpg
    @Coley88 I need to see a photo of your dogs I'm order to give you advice

They are adorable!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Take them for a walk one at a time.

Yep! Excuses are easy to find when you look for them.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I have a cat that does the same thing, always gets underneath me when I'm working out. I don't even give my dog the chances, I shut the basement door and leave him upstairs. He would be all over me.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    "Mama, it's warm in the sun. Oh wait, were you trying to do yoga? Yeah, my bad. Rub my belly."

waw8o4h7acrn.jpg
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Very cute story.

But as others have said two walks a week is not enough. I have a 110 lbs rottweiler who pulls and pulls. And would jump over logs and pull me right over. I worked with her until she walked like a charm. Having a huge yard is not the same as a walk.
    When my dog was younger she went multiple times a day. Does my dog go for walks now? No. She's 110 lbs 10 yo. Rottweiler with bad arthritis. She goes once a month at a snails pace. Because even though she can keep up she will suffer the next day.
    Train them and go more often. They will be happier.