Females only - lifting/weight training results?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    bump...going to watch this thread grow...need the inspiration!

I tried New Rules for women and got through the first bit fine but moving on to step two was almost twice the time in the gym and not do-able on my lunch hour.

Have done SL 5X5 (for a short time) and have considered going back, mainly because the lifts are easy to remember. But I can't possibly see results like these with just those compound lifts...

Would love to know the type of lifts/exercises you ladies are doing.

Im actually seeing really great results from the SL 5x5 :)

SL 5x5 is one of the best beginner lifting programs around. You can definitely get great results from it.
  • katiejo2011
    katiejo2011 Posts: 180 Member
    Bump
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    This is probably going to sound stupid, but are these results also possible with nothing except body weight exercises?
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member

Fantastic results!!

Thanks!!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    edited February 2016
    @xcalygrl @jessiefrancine @nordlead2005 thanks for the advice! I feel like as I didn't even get my squat and deadlift up to my bodyweight (135) that I probably wasn't done with the program. I will look into purchasing fractional plates and the other programs as well for the future.
  • nettasaura
    nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
    What you need is progressive training of the muscles, increasing the difficulty as you go (so not just increasing repetitions, for example). It can be done (so instead of adding five more pushups, you might start increasing the difficulty by elevating your feet). So it is possible, but many say more difficult, to increase the progressive load on the muscle without weights.

Is there some reason that you're not interested in weight training?

I'm interested in both, but still exploring options. :) Honestly, progressive bodyweight training I find absolutely fascinating, but with my medical limitations, I might be better off with the lifting. Certain angles and positions are out for me (mainly anything laying less than 15 degrees from horizontal or past horizontal with the head lower than everything else). How many lifting exercises require lying down? I'm just trying to figure out what I can do for me. All the women in this thread look amazing!

• Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    Can you do heavy lifting without a gym membership! These photos are so inspiring!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,080 Member
    Can you do heavy lifting without a gym membership! These photos are so inspiring!

A lot of us lift at home. Check out this group-
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member

Yep. I have everything I need in my garage. It does require some upfront investment, but it can be done.
  • sara1882000
    sara1882000 Posts: 14 Member
    ash_law wrote: »
    Since my profile picture is so small, I am going to repost it in this comment. It covers the span of six years - overweight (180lbs), then weak and skinny fat by only using cardio to lose weight (~145lbs), and then now currently way stronger and more muscular from powerlifting (155lbs).

qxn7jds2mnrw.jpg

Can I ask how tall you are? I have been lifting for about 6 months and have gone from 171 to 170. LOL. I am 5'9". I was really hoping to get down to 160 but the weight is just not moving and I'm eating almost completely Paleo.
  • ash_law
    ash_law Posts: 70 Member
    ash_law wrote: »
    Since my profile picture is so small, I am going to repost it in this comment. It covers the span of six years - overweight (180lbs), then weak and skinny fat by only using cardio to lose weight (~145lbs), and then now currently way stronger and more muscular from powerlifting (155lbs).

qxn7jds2mnrw.jpg

Can I ask how tall you are? I have been lifting for about 6 months and have gone from 171 to 170. LOL. I am 5'9". I was really hoping to get down to 160 but the weight is just not moving and I'm eating almost completely Paleo.

@sara1882000 I am 5'5" :)
  • joykidmama
    joykidmama Posts: 21 Member
    You gals are incredible. Thanks for being so motivating when I can hear the donuts calling.
  • jennalennafur
    jennalennafur Posts: 80 Member
    Yep yep yep! You ladies are so pretty! I can't weight to show off my results!
  • JodesP93
    JodesP93 Posts: 24 Member
    I've just been looking through this thread again and came across your post, you look amazing hun!

Im loosing weight and im just about to start with weights again as well as cardio and was wondering weather to do 5x5s or 3x15 but your progress photos have answered my questions! do you have different days for different muscle groups if you dont mind me asking? x

I don't if I've posted in this thread before, or not. Still a work in progress, but six weeks of 5X5s...

uabm5ib4dgvo.jpg
    odvdmztjl306.jpg
    pwh1nnpki29q.jpg
    I don't if I've posted in this thread before, or not. Still a work in progress, but six weeks of 5X5s...

uabm5ib4dgvo.jpg
    odvdmztjl306.jpg
    pwh1nnpki29q.jpg

uabm5ib4dgvo.jpg
    odvdmztjl306.jpg
    pwh1nnpki29q.jpg

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    JodesP93 wrote: »
    I've just been looking through this thread again and came across your post, you look amazing hun!

Im loosing weight and im just about to start with weights again as well as cardio and was wondering weather to do 5x5s or 3x15 but your progress photos have answered my questions! do you have different days for different muscle groups if you dont mind me asking? x

uabm5ib4dgvo.jpg
    odvdmztjl306.jpg
    pwh1nnpki29q.jpg

@jodesP93 - Stronglifts 5x5 has set workouts for you to do every other day. It revolves around the big 3 lifts: squats, bench, deadlift. It also includes rows for upper back and overhead press for shoulders. For more info, including the workouts: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • rowe973
    rowe973 Posts: 1 Member
    Looking for advice on a new weight training program. I've tried many but haven't seen any results. Would love to know the workouts that have lead to such great results. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    rowe973 wrote: »
    Looking for advice on a new weight training program. I've tried many but haven't seen any results. Would love to know the workouts that have lead to such great results. Thanks for any suggestions!

Some of the programs I've seen are:
    StrongLifts 5x5
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Wendler's 5/3/1
    Ice Cream Fitness

The women here have had great results. What have you tried in the past? What are your goals? No matter what, the key is patience and consistency.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    rowe973 wrote: »

What kind of results are you looking for? Pick a goal, then eat and train to achieve that goal. If you have fat to lose-lift heavy using any program above and eat in a deficit, getting adequate protein. If you want to change your physique without gaining much fat, try a body recomp by eating at maintenance. If you really want to gain some muscle, eat in a surplus. You can use any of the programs above for any of the goals, what changes is your "diet". No matter what, there should always be a progressive overload. You need to be consistently adding/lifting more weight.