Restaurants

13»

Replies

• Susiepoop345
    Susiepoop345 Posts: 43 Member
    Btw I eyeball the palm method. I don't stick the food in my hand when out! Lol
    I use my Palm method for meats being roughly 4 oz if it fits in your palm.

• dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    Wow great tips here, thanks everyone. I tend to have a very obsessive personality so now that I am going strong I struggle with deviation. I will get over it. My calories have been so low already I really will have nothing to "bank" but I will look at menu and plan ahead and make the best of the evening. Thanks all.
  • stachesquatch
    stachesquatch Posts: 18 Member
    tracefan wrote: »
    we went out the other night and I immediately asked the server for a take home box. It was only Longhorns. So I didn't feel silly doing so. If we were at a 5 star I may not have however.

One shouldn't feel silly politely asking for something to be boxed at a 5 star. We pay more at a 5 star for the service as much as the food. They are usually very helpful and very discrete about such things. Typically one does not box ones own food at a really fancy restaurant, but rather, asks for the leftovers to be boxed. I usually portion off what I don't want and slide it to the edge of the plate then once I've finished the part that I want, I'll either ask the waiter to kindly box the rest or I'll just leave it. Sometimes they'll even ask if I want it boxed. They should also be able to help navigate you through the menu. That is a major part of their job. A really good restaurant will have very knowledgeable staff. Ask them about the calorie counts, the portion sizes, what is particularly good today, how their day is going, etc...

Ok and this isnt aimed at anyone in particular but as an aside, I've seen a lot of people discussing date night issues on here. I'm curious, what ever happened to people pairing dinner with dancing as a date night plan? I'm probably the last person who should give relationship advice out, and I am biased towards dance because I teach it as a hobby, but it seems the perfect thing to match dining out with. You eat 900 calories then dance off 300 the same night. 600 net calories and it's a fairly inexpensive form of entertainment without feeling cheap.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    we went out the other night and I immediately asked the server for a take home box. It was only Longhorns. So I didn't feel silly doing so. If we were at a 5 star I may not have however.

One shouldn't feel silly politely asking for something to be boxed at a 5 star. We pay more at a 5 star for the service as much as the food. They are usually very helpful and very discrete about such things. Typically one does not box ones own food at a really fancy restaurant, but rather, asks for the leftovers to be boxed. I usually portion off what I don't want and slide it to the edge of the plate then once I've finished the part that I want, I'll either ask the waiter to kindly box the rest or I'll just leave it. Sometimes they'll even ask if I want it boxed. They should also be able to help navigate you through the menu. That is a major part of their job. A really good restaurant will have very knowledgeable staff. Ask them about the calorie counts, the portion sizes, what is particularly good today, how their day is going, etc...

Ok and this isnt aimed at anyone in particular but as an aside, I've seen a lot of people discussing date night issues on here. I'm curious, what ever happened to people pairing dinner with dancing as a date night plan? I'm probably the last person who should give relationship advice out, and I am biased towards dance because I teach it as a hobby, but it seems the perfect thing to match dining out with. You eat 900 calories then dance off 300 the same night. 600 net calories and it's a fairly inexpensive form of entertainment without feeling cheap.

Yes I guess anything could be boxed. True. And I do put pod to the side. As far as going dancing. Not that easy for my 50ish hubby or to find a place where dancing doesn't frequently have 20year olds We do the gym instead. We walk places. Etc. however we actually enjoy a nice dinner out. Alone or w friends. So unfortunately the calories disagree
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    The only dances here are high school and old folks' home, lol. My husband and I have danced once ever and that was at a wedding. Not our wedding, my brother's. We don't got skillz.
  • carrie1829
    carrie1829 Posts: 143 Member
    I was at a restaurant the other day and asked them the amounts of what was in my dish. They looked at me a little weird but went and asked. They told me no problem and I was able to ask them to lower the amount in the dish. I ordered a breakfast wrap. Typically they put 4 eggs in it, I asked to only have 2. It was easier than guessing. I personally would like to see restaurants become better about the calories in a dish.. They make McDonalds and other fast food restaurants be upfront with it... wouldn't it be nice if other places did it as well.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Many of us use our best guesses when eating out and then log that.

One meal isn't going to significantly set you back.

Depends how often that one meal comes up. I can maybe slip in once a week total until I start to rapidly gain and that's eating the most boring food on the menu. Go out of town for a weekend and have a beer? Forget about it! Progress is torpedoed!

Right there with you! I've already said everything I can think of to help OP through this tough situation.... if you would like to discuss things related to the tough realities of food in our respective lives by all means hit me up. :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited February 2016
    One shouldn't feel silly politely asking for something to be boxed at a 5 star. We pay more at a 5 star for the service as much as the food. They are usually very helpful and very discrete about such things. Typically one does not box ones own food at a really fancy restaurant, but rather, asks for the leftovers to be boxed.
    Why would they need to be discrete? It's not some shameful act. I worked in top tier restaurants long ago. I would usually ask people if they preferred me to box it or not because I personally prefer to box my own. I know what parts I want and don't. And it's really easy for a server to just drop the 'used' plates in the bus tub out of habit then go "OMG- they wanted that!", and be tempted to pull it back out quickly before any dirty dishes get shoved on top of it. And if they're honest and admit they did it instead of pulling it back out, you have to wait while they prepare you a new serving to take home. I rarely eat more than half a restaurant portion and I try not to eat out much so I nearly always take half home.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Don't you just hate it when a restaurant has no nutritional info available...rrhhgggg
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Do your best to give it an honest eyeball, then enjoy your dinner with your husband. One meal won't derail you, and it really won't if you eat a moderate amount of whatever you like. I would caution you to take your husband serious when he says you are no fun. When I began to lose weight, I went total flake and after a time I realized that in fact, I was no fun. Don't be that person. They are not mutually exclusive. I wish you well.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    MikeAV8s wrote: »
    Do your best to give it an honest eyeball, then enjoy your dinner with your husband. One meal won't derail you, and it really won't if you eat a moderate amount of whatever you like.

^^^^ This-itty, this-itty, this, This, THIS!
    I would caution you to take your husband serious when he says you are no fun. When I began to lose weight, I went total flake and after a time I realized that in fact, I was no fun. Don't be that person. They are not mutually exclusive. I wish you well.

Some of this, too, maybe. Our new-eating religions are pretty tedious for the people around us, especially if wrapped in regular out-loud angst-y commentary (don't know if that part applies in your case). Absolutely, you need & deserve his support. But he needs & deserves not to be pulled into the other-people's-diets vortex full time, too. Balance! :-)
  • dorener
    dorener Posts: 52 Member
    edited February 2016
    Well, I did it! We went out, I pre planned my meal from their website; I was able to enjoy a meal, have two alcoholic beverages, two bites of my husbands cheesecake dessert and still kept my total daily calories at 1200!!! Awesome evening out and didn't seem like I had to sacrifice much! Thanks all. Planning is everything.