Regarding Running And Asthma

Hello there. So, I have asthma and whenever I start to run I always suffocate a few moments later. And because of that whenever I run I will always slow down when I start to feel chest pain, then slowly gain my pace back after it's better. I know that I'm risking myself of asthma attack, but I'm trying to train my lungs.

My question is, is it okay to use this method? Running and slowing down when I feel chest pain, then gaining my pace back when I no longer feel the pain and/or feeling better? Or should I do it with another method? I don't run much, but I'm wiggling some time to my tight schedule for running. I really want to improve my lungs so that I won't be carrying my medicine around when I'm older. Should I continue this or do another "cheap" exercise that can help me also? Preferably those I can do at home without any extra equipment since I can't afford those with my current financial situation..

Thank you... And I apologize for any mistakes made in the post.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    No, this method will not help and puts your life at risk. Get an appointment with a pulmonologist and form a plan. If you are not on long term prevention medication, it sounds like you need to be, and if you are you probably need adjustment of your meds. Plus you will need a rescue inhaler and a plan on how to use it before exercising. Once you sort out your medication, then you can start running slowly. Make sure you can walk at a good pace for at least half an hour, and once you master this, then start adding SLOW running intervals to your walks. If you cannot talk while running, slow down some more.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    No, this method will not help and puts your life at risk. Get an appointment with a pulmonologist and form a plan. If you are not on long term prevention medication, it sounds like you need to be, and if you are you probably need adjustment of your meds. Plus you will need a rescue inhaler and a plan on how to use it before exercising. Once you sort out your medication, then you can start running slowly. Make sure you can walk at a good pace for at least half an hour, and once you master this, then start adding SLOW running intervals to your walks. If you cannot talk while running, slow down some more.

Thanks for the advice. I'll go to a pulmonologist as soon as possible. I can walk at a steady and quite good pace for at least fifteen minutes to get home from college, especially when the air are pretty clean.

So... Should I substitute running with some light walking for now, or just stop running for the time being? Or just change it with other exercise that's not cardio that I can do easily at home? Thank you, once again.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    I have exercise induced asthma. I have an inhaler that I take before working out and then I have no breathing issues. If I don't take it I have similar response tight chest and can't breathe. Definitely see your doctor to get some medicine.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Doctor for sure!

Did you know Paula Radcliffe has asthma?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    You cannot outrun asthma. Are you using an inhaler before exercising? Do you carry a rescue inhaler?

Maybe you should walk first until you can go 3 to 5 miles at a fast walk without pain or difficulty. Then intersperse some running into your walks.
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    I have exercise induced asthma. I have an inhaler that I take before working out and then I have no breathing issues. If I don't take it I have similar response tight chest and can't breathe. Definitely see your doctor to get some medicine.

This times two. I don't always have to use the rescue inhaler now, but I did in the beginning. It will get better, but no need to be miserable and risk hurting your lungs in the process.
  • VoiceWithNoValue
    VoiceWithNoValue Posts: 58 Member
    I don't use an inhaler before exercising, I'm going to do it next time and see the difference. Hopefully, it will work. Thanks for the advice!
    And also thank you for beemerphile1, I'll do it the next time I decide to "run".
    Basically thank you to those who responded to this thread and the advices said.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I have asthma and an inhaler and have similar issues. I also have exercise induced complications but the inhaler works all of that out for me.

Outside of that, talking to your Doctor is going to be the only and best advice anyone can give you.