My new best friend

My new best friend is my slow cooker. I put it on in the morning, and don't have to cook in the evening, so I can exercise instead right before I eat!

Does anyone have any good slow cooker recipes to share?

:smile:

Replies

• My new best friend is my slow cooker. I put it on in the morning, and don't have to cook in the evening, so I can exercise instead right before I eat!

Does anyone have any good slow cooker recipes to share?

:smile:
  • I don't know of any however, you might want to take a look here...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1187-slow-cooker-garlic-tomato-chicken
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    I love the crockpot too! Try this recipe- it's really good! Go to http://www.recipezaar.com you can search for slow cooker recipes and even choose to show just low-fat or light recipes as well. They have tons of stuff on there!

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore: Makes 8 servings

6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
    1 cup tomato sauce
    1/2 lb mushrooms, Sliced
    2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
    1 bell pepper, Chopped
    1 small onion, Diced
    salt & pepper
    1 cup fat free mozzarella cheese, shredded

Put the chicken in a crock pot.
    Season with salt & pepper: top with remaining ingredients.
    Cook on LOW 7-8 hours.
    During the last 30 minutes put crock pot on High, sprinkle on the Mozzarella Cheese to melt

Per Serving:
    Calories 162
    Total Fat 3.9g
    Saturated Fat 0.9g 4%
    Polyunsat. Fat 1.1g
    Monounsat. Fat 1.2g
    Cholesterol 60mg
    Sodium 403mg
    Potassium 519mg
    Total Carbohydrate 9.6g
    Dietary Fiber 1.4g
    Sugars 5.6g
    Protein 22 g
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I have had this here before but :bigsmile: Salsa meat is wonderful.

A jar of salsa then a roast or whatever you choose to make and let it cook. Wonderful spicy meal with not much work.

It is my families favorite.
  • Thank y'all! I am going to try all of these. :smile:
  • 3 carrots - chopped
    2 medium potatoes - chopped
    1 large onion - chopped
    2 stalks celery - chopped
    1 can diced tomatoes
    3 cups water
    3 beef bouillon cubes
    1 lb. lean beef - cut into 1 inch cubes
    **1 small bag frozen veggies

Put all these (except the frozen veggies) into crock pot on high for 6 hours. Add frozen veggies and cook an additional 2 hours or until meat is cooked and all veggies are tender.

I also added some celery salt and ground pepper, but you could leave them out....
  • I love my crock pot and I will try to write some of my recipes down with the nutr. calculations for y'all. This week I made red beans and rice. I want to make black beans tomorrow. I also enjoy making a Pot Roast with LOTS of vegies. Then my favorite is stewing a whole chicken to make either Tortilla Soup or Chicken Enchiladas. The last time I did this my kids were all gone so I split the meat between the enchiladas and the tortilla soup for a whole week of meals just the two of us. I reserve some of the great chicken stock and make other soups with it too. I want to give you the recipes and also the calculations so it might take me a few days. If this topic is not easily visible I will start a new topic.

I love to cook and someone from this site gave me the www.recipecalc.com website for a place to do free calculations for my own recipes. It has been a blessing to keep on track with my calories when I cook.

Stacy
  • I have the Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore cooking right now!
  • I used the crock pot today. I put it all together then went out to ride my bike. Today I made Black Bean Soup and the other day Red Beans and Rice. Here is the recipe for my Black Bean Soup.

1 package of dry black beans
    6 cups of water
    2 cups chicken broth
    2 cups of onions
    1 jalapeno
    1 cup of celery
    1 tbs garlic
    1 tsp pepper
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp coriander
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1-2 tbl worcestershire sauce
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can (small) tomatoe paste
    3 grilled chicken

I did the quick soak method for the beans. Put the 6 cups of water in a pan with the washed beans turn on high to boil for 2 minutes then let soak for 1 hour. Add the soaked beans to the crock pot with all the other ingredients except the chicken. Let this cook in the crock pot on medium high for about 3 hours. Check the beans for tenderness with a fork or taste. When they are almost done add the grilled chicken cut up in cubes for about 30 minutes. If you like it spicy leave the seeds from the jalapenos in otherwise when cutting up the jalapeno remove seeds for a milder soup. This will make about 8 servings with each being 1.5 cups each.

Calories 158
    Total Fat 1.8
    Sat Fat .4
    Polyunsat Fat .5
    Mono Fat .7
    Cholest. 16.1
    Sodium 694
    Potassium 685
    Total Carb 22.5
    Fiber 7.3
    Sugar 4.2
    Protein 14.9
    Vitamin A 13.1
    Vitamin C 22.1
    Calcium 6.6
    Iron 14.7

The Red Beans and Rice great but I will have to remember what I put into it. I have a tendency to add items until I am happy. Sometimes everything but the kitchen sink. If it is a vegie or spice without sodium I am all over it.

Enjoy!

Stacy
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    mmm those all sound so good! I have to say, I do have a crockpot which I got as a gift last year and have not used it yet...I think its time to break that bad boy out!

thanks for the great ideas!!!!:flowerforyou:
    Ali
  • realsimple.com has some great ones too.
  • I to say how old mine is maybe 20-25 years old. That is dating me now. Ali happy slow cooking!!! I wish I had a new one. I bought one for my son and his wife at Christmas time but not sure they have used it yet either. My oldest daughter uses hers like I use mine.

www.allrecipes.com is another great place to search for recipes and they normally have the nutrition content with the recipes.

I will add recipes when I return from my trip to DC.

Stacy
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    cool thanks Stacy! I'll look forward to it LOL....have a good trip to DC!
    :wink:
    Ali