3 weeks without alcohol

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Good job! I know that there is a lot of talk here about "what toxins" when people mention doing food detoxes, but there are a lot of toxins in things we eat and drink and one of the most toxic is alcohol. That's why it dehydrates us, our body takes a lot of water to flush out the toxins. And why too much can land you in the hospital or puking or laid up the next day. So any sort of removal or lessening or break from toxins in our diet is good. Yes, our liver and kidneys remove it but why burn the candle at both ends? They also get damaged from too much over time.
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Good job! I know that there is a lot of talk here about "what toxins" when people mention doing food detoxes, but there are a lot of toxins in things we eat and drink and one of the most toxic is alcohol. That's why it dehydrates us, our body takes a lot of water to flush out the toxins. And why too much can land you in the hospital or puking or laid up the next day. So any sort of removal or lessening or break from toxins in our diet is good. Yes, our liver and kidneys remove it but why burn the candle at both ends? They also get damaged from too much over time.

Sigh, no. Alcohol affects the amount of ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) produced, which in turn leads to more water leaving the body (as urine) than would otherwise. It has nothing to do with "toxins".
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    I know for a lot of people, 3 weeks without a drink isn't a big deal. And I am not writing this saying that it is a big deal. I just wanted to put my thoughts into written word.
    I was drinking 1 or 2 drinks a night and then Friday/Saturday I'd have 3 or 4. So I wasn't getting hammered regularly or anything like that. And when I say drinks, I mean 1 drink = 1 shot and a mixer (usually Jack and Coke).
    I am 22+ days since my last drink (including no soda over that time), and I definitely feel some changes.

Overall it seems to be making a significant impact for me. I told myself I'd give it 3 weeks and see what I thought...there are my thoughts. I'm going to keep going with it.

Well when you have been drinking that much, I think 3 weeks without is DEFINITELY a big deal! Awesome job! I might have 1 or 2 drinks every few months. Just not an important part of my life, and hasn't been for many many years. I'd rather spend my calories on FOOD! :)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member

Sigh, no. Alcohol affects the amount of ADH (anti-diuretic hormone) produced, which in turn leads to more water leaving the body (as urine) than would otherwise. It has nothing to do with "toxins".

You're right. And no need to sigh, professor. ;) But toxins in the breakdown of alcohol are what damage liver and brain cells.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Congratulations! I'm giving up drinking for a bit. I'm only on day 4 of no drinking and I still don't feel more awake in the mornings so I hope that day comes soon.

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Burger2066 wrote: »
    I know for a lot of people, 3 weeks without a drink isn't a big deal. And I am not writing this saying that it is a big deal. I just wanted to put my thoughts into written word.
    I was drinking 1 or 2 drinks a night and then Friday/Saturday I'd have 3 or 4. So I wasn't getting hammered regularly or anything like that. And when I say drinks, I mean 1 drink = 1 shot and a mixer (usually Jack and Coke).
    I am 22+ days since my last drink (including no soda over that time), and I definitely feel some changes. My energy levels in the mornings are better, most likely because I am sleeping better. My belly fat has dropped (the abs pic in my profile is from the day of my last drink, so things look better now). I used to get headaches with ringing in my ears. My doctors said it was from a few concussions I had playing hockey, and since there was no other signs of long-term damage, it was just something I was going to have to live with. I haven't had a headache like that in over 2 weeks. The longest I went prior to that was 48 hours. It could be a coincidence, but that is something I am keeping an eye on as I go forward. I always drink a lot of water when I am at work, but now I am drinking even more water per day, usually hitting the 1.5 gallon mark.
    Overall it seems to be making a significant impact for me. I told myself I'd give it 3 weeks and see what I thought...there are my thoughts. I'm going to keep going with it.

Congrats! I dunno how you do it! I'm not a heavy drinker, but man oh man do I look forward to having a drink over the weekend. I never even log them because I know how terrible and calorie-filled they must be. I think you just inspired me to stop!
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    I did the dry January thing as well and giving thought to how I will drink in the future. I have not drank so far in February.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    My drinking habit was almost identical to yours and I've done the same thing for the most part. Biggest difference I see is that my abs are now much more visible and I'm finding that I need to eat an extra 400-500 calories in carbs/day just to keep my energy levels up.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks everyone. Still haven't had a drink, 25+ days. And it is still paying off. I feel a lot better than I did a month ago. And I'm seeing a big difference in the mirror too (1 year progress pic in my profile from this week).
    I've been able to have fun with friends and family without drinking too...imagine that. Hahaha.
  • Burger2066
    Congrats! I dunno how you do it! I'm not a heavy drinker, but man oh man do I look forward to having a drink over the weekend. I never even log them because I know how terrible and calorie-filled they must be. I think you just inspired me to stop!
    That's awesome, I wasn't thinking I would inspire anyone else with this post, but this is great!
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    nice work.

I am at 108 days today. I spent the last few years drinking something, every night.

• MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Good for you! I did dry January because I was drinking every week day and getting drunk on the weekends. It was taking up my calories, plus I get snacky and out of control around food (cheese and bread!) when I'm drinking, and going out was getting really expensive. After taking a few weeks off, my husband and I split a bottle of wine and I got pretty tipsy...it was nice.

I'm cutting back to 2-3 times a week max, and so far it's working. I feel better, I'm losing weight, I'm sleeping better, and we're saving so much money. It's good!
  • heidio2
    heidio2 Posts: 110 Member
    It is a big deal! I gave it up for lent last year and when I tried to drink after that, I realized how bad it made me feel. Now I just can't really handle alcohol nearly like I could before and that's awesome. Congrats on the effort.
  • sliesel
    sliesel Posts: 3 Member
    This is awesome and just what I needed to see! Doc wants me to give up alcohol for three months. Have always enjoyed a few ciders a week and maybe harder stuff once a month, so this has been pretty tough. Happy knowing others are dealing with this as well
  • Burger2066
    Well, I went out last night with a group of friends (to the bar that I had my last drink at) and didn't have a single drink...and had a good time. The super bowl party is at my house tonight, so not drinking will be simple.
    The streak is alive. 28+ days. Haha.
  • deremith88
    deremith88 Posts: 2 Member
    Stick to it! I'm at 7.5 months. The health & fitness benefits are so worth it!!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Congratulations!. I quit alcohol over 30 years ago. Life if much more simple this way.
  • Burger2066
    I have reached 31 days without alcohol. The next test is my work trip next week where everyone drinks pretty heavy. But I'm going to make it through it without a drop and keep this thing going! I'm feeling great.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    @Burger2066 great job!! Keep it up. I used to drink a similar amount to what you did, and I quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago. I have felt so many positive changes in my health (physical and mental) and attitude.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Good job! Alcohol is VERY fattening.

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20670897,00.html