60lbs to lose by August 20th 2016

Replies

• CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    edited January 2016
    Oh my goodness how awesome that you enjoy spinach, mushrooms and peppers! Those three are dislikes for me. Good on you.

I've only recently started eating spinach, my fella is very good with his food, there's not much he won't eat and he encourages me all he can to try and eat healthily. I've had this issue with veg since I was little and he's very good at trying to get me to try different things, unfortunately I just don't like most of it, whether it's the texture or the taste, or a combination of the two, most of it just repulses me.
  • bbeaukay
    bbeaukay Posts: 15 Member
    I have the same goal! I want to lose 30+ by august as well. I have the same mindset " well its OK,I'm fat already " and its such a poisonous mindset to have..hopefully having this community board, I can keep myself on track this time..
  • zzefiro
    zzefiro Posts: 6 Member
    My girlfriend sets up broccoli in a bowl with a little water and covered with saran wrap. I zap in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. A lil butter, salt and pepper and its great. I have little patience for veggie prep and this helps me a lot. Made the gym twice this week and stacking firewood today. Been logging everything the past week. Looking forward to dropping down a pants size soon. Have a good weekend.
  • Sexedee10
    Sexedee10 Posts: 62 Member

Hi there. My name is Diane and I am looking to lose about 50 to 60 pounds this year. Preferably by August. I've been up and down with a lot of weight loss trends and diets in the past and I really want to do this now and keep it off for the rest of my life. I'm in my mid 30's and I'm tired of seeing the woman looking back at me in the mirror because I've lost weight before and I know I can do it again. Looking for ideas and support and just some friendly conversation about weight loss ideas and weight loss goals and of course what has worked for you. Please friend me or follow me and help me out. By the way I'm doing low carb high protein right now.
  • How often is everyone weighing in? Once a week? I feel like the less I weigh in the more I am tempted to cheat but at the same time if I weigh too much I get defeated by the lack of results. Any suggestions?
  • KKisner4
    KKisner4 Posts: 3 Member
    I definitely want in on this group of folks!

I was almost 300lbs & decided I needed a big change. After different avenues & lots of different diets I was down to 175lbs! My husband of 5 years left & I was crushed. A year later, at 185lbs, I met a wonderful man! Of course, as so many do, I got comfortable and started gaining. I got up to 249lbs & that was a huge wake up call!

I am now down to 238lbs & feelin better about things. Still have 63lbs to get to where I was, but I am determined to do it the right & healthy way this time!

I would love accountability partners along the way! My sister is on MFP & we support each other on our journey! But the more people to push me the better. & I am a great supporter myself!

You are all awesome! Send me a request & let's keep going on this journey together!
  • pippinc
    pippinc Posts: 3 Member
    I would like to go along this journey with you. I gained weight in high school and then lost weight for my wedding. That was 23 years ago and now I have gain 75 pounds since then. I feel so unhealthy. I'd like to join this great community of those trying to get healthy and fit. One day at a time.
    Cheryl
    Portland, OR
  • vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    How often is everyone weighing in? Once a week? I feel like the less I weigh in the more I am tempted to cheat but at the same time if I weigh too much I get defeated by the lack of results. Any suggestions?

I would suggest weighing in a couple times a week (2-3 times). I personally weigh in daily because fluctuations occur, depending on whether I was dehydrated, carb loaded that day, was just not feeling right or anything else. also weighing yourself at the same time following the same routine, for example, I wake up, drink two cups of water and my cofee with my fiber one bar and at the same time everyday 8:30am I weigh in. I've been doing this for several weeks now and I can see the trend of which days I lose and which days I gain but overall there is a trending down. After my big lift days, I tend to be 1 sometimes even 2 lbs heavier but overall i see the downward trend from 180 - currently 171.2. follow me and check out my daily tracking to view how realistic weight loss works.

I'm in a caloric deficit and don't eat back 100% of my workout calories, only max it at 50%. maintenance is 2300 for me but i've set it at 1940 and generally eat between 1900 - 2000, or 2000 - 2200 if its a workout day when i've burned close to 400-700 calories.

Hi all!

I've always been a big girl and my weight has always fluctuated. Unfortunately in the last 4 years... Since meeting my wonderful fiance, I've let it go. I got comfy and fat. But I'm no longer comfortable with my size, or who I see in the mirror. I'm wonderfully supported by my man who loves me at any size (thank god) but I'm ready to make a serious change. August 20th 2016 is my wedding day, and I am making it my goal to lose 60lbs by that date.

I'd love to make some friends and some accountabili-buddies along the way because I know I can't do it alone! Thanks all :)

To the OP, I respect your goals but depending on how much you currently weigh, height and how active you are as well as how well you track your food. 60lbs can be somewhat unreasonable by August, I'm not saying you can't but I would aim for 20-30lb my March, then set another goal from there for July. This way you have certain goals along the way. also don't be discouraged if you happen to be off by 5lbs my March as if you lost anywhere from 15-25 then you are making the best progress you can with what you were working with!

Overall, set smaller milestones along the way to keep it within reach. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • thisisntabagel
    thisisntabagel Posts: 11 Member
    How often is everyone weighing in? Once a week? I feel like the less I weigh in the more I am tempted to cheat but at the same time if I weigh too much I get defeated by the lack of results. Any suggestions?

I'm trying to stick to once a week, but I'm tempted too to do it more. If you need to do it more often, I still wouldn't do it more than two or three times a week. I did twice last week (and actually had crazy success both times.. But that was a fluke tbh) and I couldn't imagine checking it more. I know I said I'm tempted to do it more so that sounds like an oxymoron but really you would just see it fluctuate and get annoyed.
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I think it would be stressful for me to weigh daily, so I decided to do it just once a week. It's bad enough that every time I step on my Wii Fit my weight is different, either up or down. "Whaddya mean I put on 1.9kg overnight?!?!" ;) I'd rather trust my scale.

I'm curious about measuring, though... I plan to measure and take photos on the 1st of each month so I can see progress, but I'm wondering if I should measure weekly instead - thoughts? It seems like so much more hassle - at least hopping on the scale is easy!
  • vvento
    vvento Posts: 28 Member
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    I think it would be stressful for me to weigh daily, so I decided to do it just once a week. It's bad enough that every time I step on my Wii Fit my weight is different, either up or down. "Whaddya mean I put on 1.9kg overnight?!?!" ;) I'd rather trust my scale.

I'm curious about measuring, though... I plan to measure and take photos on the 1st of each month so I can see progress, but I'm wondering if I should measure weekly instead - thoughts? It seems like so much more hassle - at least hopping on the scale is easy!

The fluctuations are good, you want to see what days you go up and down depending on your weekly routine. Like I mentioned I know that I go up after days I lift heavy, so I expect it. The more data I have to look at trends, the better I can see what works for my body.

Tracking once a week is okay, but you will only have 52 entries by the end of the year, whereas if you weighed in at least 2-3 times a week (hence having 104-156 entries which means that you'll see a more accurate graph of how you're doing), you would see the fluctuation AND the trending down. yes you will go up 1.9kg overnight, it depends on what you did the day before.

Think about studies on anything, would you trust a research study that only tested 52 times/subjects or one that was plenty more. apply this to the vitamins and medicine we take, more data would be more accurate (at least to me).

The fluctuations are also your body recompositioning itself. instead of carrying bodyfat weight in your mid section, after about a month of excercise (lets say just running) you will lose weight and then gain some because while you're losing bodyfat on your midsection/legs you are also building the muscle on your legs. You might go back up to starting weight but your leg definition will show more and your pants will fit nicer.
  • ruscoe1982
    ruscoe1982 Posts: 3 Member
    I would also like to lose 60lbs this year. I struggled after having my first child 7 years ago. I then had my daughter in 2015 and fell pregnant again straight after. I am now at my heaviest and determined to get rid of this weight x
  • SueSueDio
    ruscoe1982 wrote: »
    I would also like to lose 60lbs this year. I struggled after having my first child 7 years ago. I then had my daughter in 2015 and fell pregnant again straight after. I am now at my heaviest and determined to get rid of this weight x

Are you pregnant right now? I would think you might need the guidance of your doctor if you want to try and lose weight during pregnancy, but there may be pregnant women on these boards who are doing so and could make suggestions.

Either way, welcome and I wish you luck! I'm sure you'll find this site useful. :)
  • SueSueDio
    vvento wrote: »
    Think about studies on anything, would you trust a research study that only tested 52 times/subjects or one that was plenty more. apply this to the vitamins and medicine we take, more data would be more accurate (at least to me).

That's a good way of looking at it - thank you! Maybe I'll reevaluate when I can get a new scale that's easier to read... right now, strange as it may seem, I have to get my husband to tell me what mine says because even with my glasses on I can't see the dial clearly enough to tell exactly where it's pointing. I want a digital one with big numbers! :)
    The fluctuations are also your body recompositioning itself. instead of carrying bodyfat weight in your mid section, after about a month of excercise (lets say just running) you will lose weight and then gain some because while you're losing bodyfat on your midsection/legs you are also building the muscle on your legs. You might go back up to starting weight but your leg definition will show more and your pants will fit nicer.

Thank you - that's one reason I want to take measurements and photos as well, in case the weight doesn't shift as much as I'd like. Although I do really want to lose pounds as well, I'm more concerned about feeling happier with my shape than what the number on the scale is. :)
  • zzefiro
    zzefiro Posts: 6 Member
    I'll only weigh in once a week for the next 15 weeks as part of my wellness group. I agree with vvento, It's hard to ascertain what could be fat loss, water loss or muscle gain via the scale. I fluctuate too much. I like to measure progress by holes on my belt and eventually wardrobe changes.
  • JillPoverud
    JillPoverud Posts: 27 Member
    I'm keeping to my allotted calories from mfp and exercising regularly. Have only lost 6 pounds since Jan 1. I was hoping to lose more like 2 or 3 pounds a week.

To try to lose faster, I stopped eating back all of my exercise calories and aim for eating back about 50% of them.

I took some body measurements and will see if those are going down, but I want to wait a few more days to measure again.

Any other suggestions? I am worried I'm going to give up if I don't see more movement on the scale.
  • SueSueDio
    How much do you need to lose in total? Aiming for 2-3lbs a week is probably much too aggressive - 1lb a week (or a little more) is probably a better goal for most people, as losing it slowly and learning new habits along the way will help to keep it off in the long term. (And being able to eat more calories will stop you feeling deprived and hungry, which might contribute to giving up.) If you only have a few pounds to lose then apparently that's much harder to do, and you may have to aim for just half a pound instead.

I can understand the impatience - believe me, I'd love my excess weight to be gone overnight! But unless I want to chop off a leg, that ain't happening. :wink:

6lbs in a month is great going - it's more than 1lb per week. :smile: Please don't give up yet, just because the scale isn't moving as fast as you'd like. Taking your measurements is an excellent idea, as is checking how your clothes fit and things like that. Check out some of the success stories on these forums, and also browse through this thread - there are a ton of other things that are indicative of success, not just the number on the scale:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv

I wish you success - we're a supportive little group here, so feel free to send a few friend requests if you'd like!
  • wiedemann1982
    wiedemann1982 Posts: 5 Member
    Hi, I'm also overweight, so I have to lose 60 lbs like you.
    I hope we are in constant contact so we can motivate each other

• Amya2998
    Amya2998 Posts: 14 Member
    I'd love to join the group too! I have about 80 pounds to lose, but my first goal is to lose 50lbs pounds by my 40th birthday in July. After my first month, I'm down about 16 pounds! Off to a good start!!
  • How is everyone doing? I'm finding the calorie counting not too hard but finding social life to be difficult, and due to cold weather not really wanting to go to the gym. Anyone finding motivation to work out?