Protein Shakes

Replies

• boofmylumpia
    boofmylumpia Posts: 43 Member
    Mass gainers are a waste of money. Better off buying whey by itself and adding your own carb source to it. You can add oats or fruits such as bananas & berries. Better nutritional value and cheaper than a "super anabolic mass gainer".
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    The one I use is a super anabolic mass gainer, it has 850 calories. 60g protein and 134g carbs.

Though after I drink it I get this weird heavy feeling in my chest, do you guys think the problem is that I just need to drink more water afterwards ?

That's not a protein shake, do you need that many calories?

Yea.. I get full off of 1,000 calories a day. MFP set my goal calorie intake to 2,370 so I'm trying to add surplus some how haha
  • scottsteurer
    scottsteurer Posts: 20 Member
    Hey all :) just wondering what's your favorite protein shake and why ?

Gold Standard. Either the Vanilla Ice Cream or Cookies and Cream flavors. I like it because over the past 10+ years I've never found a protein shake that mixes so well just from a shaker and tastes so good!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    The one I use is a super anabolic mass gainer, it has 850 calories. 60g protein and 134g carbs.

Though after I drink it I get this weird heavy feeling in my chest, do you guys think the problem is that I just need to drink more water afterwards ?

That's not a protein shake, do you need that many calories?

Yea.. I get full off of 1,000 calories a day. MFP set my goal calorie intake to 2,370 so I'm trying to add surplus some how haha

Time to start eating higher calorie dense foods and forget the mass gainer. There are a lot of people who say they get full on 1000 cals or so but then when you look at their diet they are eating a lot of vegetables that have very few calories but a lot of volume. You should address that before you take mass gainers, which as someone else mentioned, are pretty worthless. Just eat more food. :)
  • Deweyeast1488
    Deweyeast1488 Posts: 35 Member
    I use muscle pharm
  • csman49
    csman49 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I have found a local PT who sells to his clients, and i'll pick up some of whatever he has that is short dated. Going through BSN True Mass vanilla milkshake at the moment. £10 for 2.6kg tub, instead of £35.
  • mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    hate shakes. waste of money.
  • seanm55
    seanm55 Posts: 140 Member
    Can't go wrong with ON gold standard...
  • jennahudson01
    seanm55 wrote: »

What's the calories and price of that ? I think I've heard of that before
  • seanm55
    seanm55 wrote: »

What's the calories and price of that ? I think I've heard of that before

Think around 120 cals per shake around 24 g of protein per scoop and around 74 servings per jug should find it anywhere from 45 to 59 bucks so pretty reasonable... Costco had a 90 serving bag for 60 bucks FYI
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    lol-11-things-that-are-true-about-big-families7.gif
    Shakeology!

Kidding... Premiere Protein, because it's easy and I get a case of 18 @ Costco for $20.
  • jennahudson01
    lol-11-things-that-are-true-about-big-families7.gif
    Shakeology!

Kidding... Premiere Protein, because it's easy and I get a case of 18 @ Costco for $20.

Lmaoooo
  • seanm55
    Premier is good too but more geared as a meal replacement so don't drink to many in a day
  • jonathantrush
    jonathantrush Posts: 12 Member

Almax iso flex whey protein. Its pure 97% protein. Tastes good mixes without a shaker. Add almond milk or cashew milk. Unsweetened. I also add pb2. ( powered peanut butter) sooo good.
  • jennahudson01

Almax iso flex whey protein. Its pure 97% protein. Tastes good mixes without a shaker. Add almond milk or cashew milk. Unsweetened. I also add pb2. ( powered peanut butter) sooo good.

I actually have powdered peanut butter I think I'll try this (:
  • jennahudson01
    Another question I have tho ..

Why do people say to avoid mass gainers ?
    How are they different from protein shakes ?
  • bcherniwchan445
    bcherniwchan445 Posts: 8 Member
    Isalean shakes by isagenix ! Only protein I've found that tastes great mixed with water
  • elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member
    Another question I have tho ..

Why do people say to avoid mass gainers ?
    How are they different from protein shakes ?

Most standard commercial weight/mass gain powders are really nothing special and are typically made up of a simple combination of whey protein and simple sugar (usually matodextrin). They may be high calorie, but they really don’t provide much in the way of vitamins, minerals, fiber and other micronutrients.

If you find that you have a small appetite and/or the convenience of having a pre-made powder to take with you on the go is of particular benefit to you, then a weight gainer can be an acceptable option as long as it is treated as a supplemental source and only makes up a relatively small portion of your total calorie intake for the day.

However, if you have a few extra minutes on your hands and have access to a blender and a few basic ingredients, a homemade high-calorie shake is a far superior option.

By using whey as the protein source (egg or casein are acceptable as well) and blending it along with your own whole-food carbs (fruit, oats and yogurt are all great choices) and some healthy fats (such as natural nut butters or healthy oils), you can still get that high calorie shake you’re after but in a far more nutritious and better-tasting way.
  • drocksi317
    drocksi317 Posts: 39 Member
    Dymatize iso 100. Because it's lean and light.. works great for my diet and goals