how many calories a day to lose 50 pounds

Hey peeps.
I'm 5" 7 inches tall and 236 pound in weight.
I'd like to lose 50 pounds so how many calories a day can I have to lose weight safely but also to lose the weight fastest.
Thanks

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Plug your info into MFP. Set for about 1.5 lb per week. You will get the answer you seek.
  • Mattwhosfat
    Mattwhosfat Posts: 44 Member
    Thanks chap. I will do that .
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 159 Member
    or....you can google scoobysworkshop bmr calculator. In ways i prefer scoobys calculations
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    edited February 2016
    *General recommendations for weekly weight loss goals should be based on a number of factors, the main one of which is how much weight you have to lose. The more weight that you have to lose the less severe the negative impact of being at a calorie deficit will have generally (see below for examples).

As a rule of thumb, we would recommend that most people set their target weight loss somewhere between .5 and 1% change in body-weight per week. So for a 200lb person, losing about 1 to 2lbs/week would be reasonable. Consider that this is not going to cover all scenarios. This is just a general guideline for "most" people. Weight may come off faster initially due to water losses.

Obviously, the deficit that is right for you will depend on your personal circumstances and how well you deal with the deficit. For example, for someone who is morbidly obese, the health benefits of getting the weight off quickly will often outweigh the possible negative impact and, as such, a higher than 2 lb a week deficit may well be appropriate.

The link below is very useful for setting up your macros optimally, also has links for calorie allotment calculators. The group is also extremely helpful.

*http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

• CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    *General recommendations for weekly weight loss goals should be based on a number of factors, the main one of which is how much weight you have to lose. The more weight that you have to lose the less severe the negative impact of being at a calorie deficit will have generally (see below for examples).

As a rule of thumb, we would recommend that most people set their target weight loss somewhere between .5 and 1% change in body-weight per week. So for a 200lb person, losing about 1 to 2lbs/week would be reasonable. Consider that this is not going to cover all scenarios. This is just a general guideline for "most" people. Weight may come off faster initially due to water losses.

Obviously, the deficit that is right for you will depend on your personal circumstances and how well you deal with the deficit. For example, for someone who is morbidly obese, the health benefits of getting the weight off quickly will often outweigh the possible negative impact and, as such, a higher than 2 lb a week deficit may well be appropriate.

The link below is very useful for setting up your macros optimally, also has links for calorie allotment calculators. The group is also extremely helpful.

*http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Awesome! Joined! Great info