Carnivore to vegetarian transition & vice-versa

what's was your experience transition from a meat eating diet into a vegetarian/ vegan based diet and vice versa? Not talking weight loss experience, but more so internal feelings, health, energy levels, thoughts, mood. And more of the people who went from a healthy meat included diet towards a vegetarian based diet. I say this, cause if you eat like crap and transition to be vegetarian with a goal to be healthy, your obviously going to feel better even if their is meat included. So my point is, how did you feel transitioning from a nutrient rich omnivore diet to a nutrient rich vegetarian diet and vice versa! I'm just curious

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Well I have a friend who decided he wants to be vegan from one day to the next.. The idiot had to go to a doctor for internal bleeding

Literally has to force feed himself in order to reach his daily macros.

I'm not a fan of vegans, just because the types of people they all seem to prove they are.
  • finneyjason218
    finneyjason218 Posts: 166 Member
    I didn't eat meat for a while until my teeth grew in. Then I ate all the meats and now oxen come to me for health tips. One day I didn't eat meat, and I shrunk 5 inches and my beard fell out. True story
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Vegan? Been there, done that, ain't going back! ;)
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    For me it is more about the reduction of fat when I eat less meat (there have been many periods where I don't eat meat...or at most fish once a week). Without the fat, I find that I am more hungry at night and therefore don't sleep and grumpier.
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Snow3y wrote: »
    Well I have a friend who decided he wants to be vegan from one day to the next.. The idiot had to go to a doctor for internal bleeding

I'm not a fan of vegans, just because the types of people they all seem to prove they are.

Wtf, that doesn't sound like a diet related issue. How do you get internal bleeding from going vegan?
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Melmo1988 wrote: »

Wtf, that doesn't sound like a diet related issue. How do you get internal bleeding from going vegan?

Lol I was wondering the same thing. The veggies stabbed him maybe...;p
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    I've been vegan for over a decade. My transition wasn't hard, but it took some education to ensure proper nutrition. I can easily meet macros (2800kcal 40/30/30) on a reasonable amount of food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I've been vegan for about ten years. Transitioned from non-vegan to vegan pretty much overnight. My health, energy, and mood all felt about the same. The only thing that changed was that I emotionally felt better transitioning my actions towards animals to be in keeping with my ethics. "Vegan for Life" by Jack Norris and Virginia Messina is a great (science-based) book on vegan nutrition. I have found meeting my goals very simple as a vegan, but for those who are curious or having issues, I highly recommend it.

For those who think all vegans are the same type of person, I would say that there are all types of vegans -- just as there are all types of non-vegans. I suggest that you get to know someone as a person before you write them off. You may like or dislike me, but it has little to do with my veganism. I have many of the same friends I had before I went vegan. It didn't change my personality.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I am pretty close to being a carnivore now. I find the fewer plants i eat the better I feel although my biggest improvement came when I stopped eating grasses (their grains).

I do have some autoimmune issues that act up with more carbs, and I was prediabetic so eating a low carb high fat diet based on mainly animal products helps me be and feel much healthier. It won't be the same for everyone.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Batman villians?

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member

Batman villians?

Hey, I resemble that remark. ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    A lot of these responses are dumb and not helpful.

Would you walk up to a group of people having a conversation IRL and say something like that? Seems kinda hostile.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I've never been a carnivore nor a vegan. But, I do go through periods where I eat no animal flesh, but still consume modest amounts of dairy and eggs. Then when I feel like some fish or a hamburger or whatever, I eat it. And I may do that daily for quite a while. Or not. I notice no difference.

However, although my preferences change, my nutrition profile remains relatively similar. I still eat gobs of plants, meet my macros and nail the fiber, and ensure my micronutrients are well balanced, regardless of whether I'm consuming meat or not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member

How many other vegans do you know IRL? I know far more non-annoying ones than annoying ones. In fact, I don't know any annoying ones well and for the ones that annoy me it's probably more about me than them.