Your (guilty) food addictions

Replies

• piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't crave them - just can't resist them if they are in front of me. Cannot refuse! One of the things I've learned since getting on the healthy train is the difference between emotional vs real hunger. When we are truly really hungry any number of foods will do because there is a gnawing in your stomach and you just need anything. When we crave a particular, specific food (that nothing else will do, it just has to be THAT) its classic emotional hunger so knowing that, I've stopped each time to try and identify why it's happening. Stress? Sadness? Reward? And remind myself that I'm not really hungry and don't really NEED to have whatever the craving is. I still give in sometimes but I'm so much better now days after practicing this.
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Sourdough toast with large amounts of butter and vegemite
  • WishfulThinking0
    WishfulThinking0 Posts: 54 Member
    @zira91 @piggysmalls333 very good advice here thanks you two, just starting to get in the habit of moderation now :)
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Nothing is 'good, 'bad, 'naughty', 'nice' or 'guilty'. It's all yummy :) The best thing I did was to decide that I was only ever going to eat food that I really liked, and if you get in the habit of pre-logging you can make a bit of pretty much anything work!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    Guilty and pleasure... those two words do not go well for me. It is 100% guilty or 100% pleasure.

I have a couple of things in my go to comfy foods or foods that I would considered I am addicted to, but was it guilty or a pleasure? depends if I messed up may calories for the day or my attitude when eating it with or without a smile on my face??
  • import69
    import69 Posts: 15 Member
    Mine is bread, specially crusty rolls and baguettes, im not eating them at the moment but it's killing me just thinking about it lol
  • MissxAsh
    MissxAsh Posts: 83 Member
    Hot Cheetos. Every time I drive past a corner store I have to turn up the music because they call my name :p
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Guilt = moral judgment.

Moral judgment is deeply unhelpful when attached to eating. Abandon that line of thinking.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Right now I am finding that I can pretty much stay within my calories for the day....once in a while I di over indulge with a few pints or a bottle of wine...and then a bag of chips....but so far that has been maybe once a month
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Guilt = moral judgment.

Moral judgment is deeply unhelpful when attached to eating. Abandon that line of thinking.

that.

anyways, the only food i have a really hard time resisting is peanut butter cups.

i buy them, but not often.

and... no guilt when i do eat them. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't feel guilty about it, but take me to an Indian restaurant and I will likely over-indulge. I enjoy it, too, so work it into my overall week every once in a while so I can.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I have no guilt at all eating whatever I like as long as it fits in my calories.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I'm not into food guilt and confessing about eating. I eat food I like even when I'm losing weight, so cravings are manageable. Some foods I've concluded aren't worth the calories, so I keep them out of sight, and I don't really miss them.

Seems like you are making a lot of problems for yourself, for no good reason?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    No guilty pleasures for me. Just pleasures. I make sure to make food choices in such a way that I leave room for the things I enjoy most. That's not to say I eat a bag of Oreos every week but if I'm wanting Oreos, I just stick to lower calorie options throughout the day so that I have enough calories left at the end of the day to have some before bed.
    I'll do the same thing with pizza or whatever other high calorie food I like. No need to cut everything out. Just adjust to make room for treats while understanding that moderation means not eating all the treats all the time, but still allowing some treats. It's a matter of deciding "what treat do I want to have today?" and "how do I need to eat today to allow for that?"

That said, I enjoy the way I eat. If I don't like it, I don't eat it. Also, very few days go by that I don't enjoy something delicious that most people would say is a "guilty pleasure" even though there's no guilt for me because I make it fit.
  • AlanahBeez
    AlanahBeez Posts: 60 Member
    One word....pizza. I can easily finish a whole frozen one by myself. There's just something about the bread, tomato sauce and cheese combo that's hard to resist ☺️
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    Guilt = moral judgment.

Meh, I sometimes feel guilty if I overeat. I think a little guilt is healthy for me. If I felt good about it I'd probably do it much too often.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I think chips would be the only thing that came close to the description in the OP. I don't consider myself addicted to them but I do like to eat all the chips. And I mean ALL the chips, especially if there is dip. I haven't given them up but I don't have them very often.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Nope. Other times I lost weight, I did, and I found that just created self-perpuating cycles. I wanted to have the things that I couldn't have because they were the things I couldn't have. Then once I had them, I figured everything was ruined, so why not have more and more, then stop having the stuff until the next time.

Now if I really wanted to have something, I'd just figure out how to fit it into my calorie goals as an appropriate amount. No feeling that "I have to eatz all teh thingz 'cause this haz to be teh last time". I honestly have far less interest in any particular food items since reaching that place.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    Sigh. I watched my mother in horror eating this when she was pregnant with my younger brothers. Melted vanilla ice cream with those cheese peanut butter crackers broken up in the ice cream. Heaven. Heaven. Heaven. Don't knock it! Funny. I have had no success convincing my friends to even try it :p

are youre friends crazy. that sounds amazing. Melty ice cream is the best! and those crackers nom nom nom. i cant imagine them mixed together being anything but delicious.

my guilty pleasure is cookies and chocolate milk.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    no bad foods, only bad feelings. I was having trouble with alcohol, in the sense that if I had a drink, I'd have more, and then eat whatever I wanted- but I took a month + off without alcohol and really focused on CICO, IIFYM, and starting eating chocolate and enjoying it nearly every day, and now that I don't restrict foods/food groups, I find I am able to have one drink and do just fine. It's like my whole life changed! yaaaaay all food is good food.