Love Your Health: Feb Challenge-Week 2 (2/8-2/14)

Replies

• clblewis
    clblewis Posts: 34 Member
    I am almost 50 year old female, 5'5" living in Michigan, started low carb in July 2015 at my highest weight (200)
    without being pregnant. I have lost weight but I have not exercised due to chronic back pain and depression although now I'm starting to feel better . I take medication that makes most food tastes terrible and my appetite low. Believe me this is not as good as it sounds especially when it affects your skin hair and nails. I absolutely have to stay on this medication because it is helping me with my depression.
    I need a kick in the butt to start exercising and toning up. My BMI is embarrassingly high. I just heard about this app and so far I really like it. I have been looking around at the different forums and the people on this thread seem to be very nice. I have seen a lot of snarkiness on several threads which has really turned me off.
    I need help to stay motivated, need food ideas I need accountability I need a kick in the butt to start exercising. I need good solid helpful advice. I don't have any friends yet and I'm not really sure how that works.
    Sorry this long.
    SW: 200 started LC on July 2nd 2016
    SW: 151.2 2/1/16 for the challenge
    CW: 149.8 2/8/16
    GW for February: 144
    Calories under 1200:
    Carbs Under
    Thanks for reading! - - - Candace
  • clblewis
    MoonKat7 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I just saw this challenge and planning to join, my current situation is stress, I have a coming practical exam that has 3 sub exams so my carbs have been high the last 2 days, so my focus in this challenge would be following my low carb meal plan. Good luck everyone!

I wish you the best on those exams!
  • wrknonmedaily
    wrknonmedaily Posts: 203 Member
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I know I posted a .1 pound loss yesterday, but wanted to post my scale reading this morning! Yesterday's total was 186 pounds, and today's is........(drum roll please, ..............) 181.7!! Really?!?!?! It happens when we least expect it! I have been sick the past few days, and expect a rebound, but can't help but be excited over it! My original goal weight was 180. So, I'm so close I can smell it, lol! I did reset my goal to the 160s a few weeks ago, but can you say, "Happy Dance?" I've been dancing around, on cloud nine all morning!

NICE! Way to go!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Holy Smokes @Karlottap- that's freakin fantastic!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    glossbones wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    @glossbones Could your hubby's electrolytes be off? That can cause nausea sometimes.

His sodium at least, I'm sure. He takes a daily chelated magnesium glyconate, but he keeps turning his nose up at foods with proper levels of sodium and fat. And he drinks a lot of water.

Keto without high fat would be tough. Would he watch Peter attia? Maybe a fit doctor eating fat would change his thinking a bit. I don't know... Good luck!
    I know I posted a .1 pound loss yesterday, but wanted to post my scale reading this morning! Yesterday's total was 186 pounds, and today's is........(drum roll please, ..............) 181.7!! Really?!?!?! It happens when we least expect it! I have been sick the past few days, and expect a rebound, but can't help but be excited over it! My original goal weight was 180. So, I'm so close I can smell it, lol! I did reset my goal to the 160s a few weeks ago, but can you say, "Happy Dance?" I've been dancing around, on cloud nine all morning!

Carry on! :smiley:

Woohoo! That is awesome! :)

@Mami1976D moving is moving! Congrats!

My scale is going through a nice whoosh right now too. In the last few days it has dropped from 153.2 to 150.2 yesterday, and then 148.8 today. :) My guess is part of it is water from cutting carbs again but coconut carnivore is agreeing with me.

Today's scale dip was especially fun because I did not eat well yesterday. I had a few BPC then had pepperoni at 3pm, two hot dog wieners and some chicken for dinner (was a rushed day LOL), 3 fat bombs, and then an entire bag of pork rinds with 3 heaping tablespoons of sour cream (probably closer to 6-7 real Tbs measures).

It was not a day to brag about nutritionally (or even admit to without some embarrassment :blush: ) but it was fun to see a drop with all that junk food.

I am sure it will bounce up again. Probably after this weekend; I am staying with family during a butchering-bee. I'll pack my extra foods and try to avoid carbs. I am lucky in being a celiac because they already know I eat "weird". LOL ;) I can pass on people's baking without offending anyone.
  • nvmomketo
    edited February 2016
    clblewis wrote: »
    I am almost 50 year old female, 5'5" living in Michigan, started low carb in July 2015 at my highest weight (200)
    without being pregnant. I have lost weight but I have not exercised due to chronic back pain and depression although now I'm starting to feel better . I take medication that makes most food tastes terrible and my appetite low. Believe me this is not as good as it sounds especially when it affects your skin hair and nails. I absolutely have to stay on this medication because it is helping me with my depression.
    I need a kick in the butt to start exercising and toning up. My BMI is embarrassingly high. I just heard about this app and so far I really like it. I have been looking around at the different forums and the people on this thread seem to be very nice. I have seen a lot of snarkiness on several threads which has really turned me off.
    I need help to stay motivated, need food ideas I need accountability I need a kick in the butt to start exercising. I need good solid helpful advice. I don't have any friends yet and I'm not really sure how that works.
    Sorry this long.
    SW: 200 started LC on July 2nd 2016
    SW: 151.2 2/1/16 for the challenge
    CW: 149.8 2/8/16
    GW for February: 144
    Calories under 1200:
    Carbs Under
    Thanks for reading! - - - Candace

Welcome to the group. :)

If you are just starting LCHF make sure you increase your sodium. Depending on your circumstances, you may need as much as 3000-5000mg of sodium per day or you will experience extra fatigue, sore muscles, headache or nausea. A cup of boullion, extra salt on food, salt tablets, or even a teaspoon of salt in water will help avoid unbalanced electrolytes. Extra potassium and magnesium will help too but be careful of magnesium because too much too fast can cause loose bowels.

What are you planning for exercise? Walking? I have a bad back too so know it can be tough.
  • clblewis
    Thank you for your advice. I think I will have some soup for lunch. Hopefully I'll feel better. I've been doing this since July of 2015.
    I would like to start walking when the weather breaks we are expecting a foot of snow in the next two days. I have an elliptical downstairs. My goal is to make it down there and get on it for at least 10 minutes. I think that would be a good starting point. It's lame but it's a start.
    I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. I think I may have posted my introduction into the wrong place. I was able to join the other LCHF for over /50 group but I see that it has closed. :smile:
  • ShootingStar72
    ShootingStar72 Posts: 183 Member
    Last week I worked hard to make choices that kept me below 40g carbs/day. I lost 4 lbs (of water), and felt really good. Unfortunately the weekend happened, and 2 days of bad choices have left me tired and hangry… but I am back on track this week.

So for the rest of February my healthy choices are to reduce stress and start logging again. I typically hate logging (after years of logging only CICO and getting no where), but I can’t seem to keep carbs accountable without looking at the whole picture. I am logging on the Atkins carb counter app now which has been going really good. I can reduce stress by being more focused and productive at work, and by not worrying so much about the household finances.
  • nvmomketo
    edited February 2016
    clblewis wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice. I think I will have some soup for lunch. Hopefully I'll feel better. I've been doing this since July of 2015.
    I would like to start walking when the weather breaks we are expecting a foot of snow in the next two days. I have an elliptical downstairs. My goal is to make it down there and get on it for at least 10 minutes. I think that would be a good starting point. It's lame but it's a start.
    I appreciate you taking the time to read my story. I think I may have posted my introduction into the wrong place. I was able to join the other LCHF for over /50 group but I see that it has closed. :smile:

There is a very active thread for Ladies Over Fifty in our group. They are a fantastic bunch... I've been tempted to join but at only 42, I would be pushing it.LOL ;) perhaps drop in there? http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10089227/over-50s-ladies-our-special-needs/p1

ETA I think that is a great start! That is 10 minutes more than I do on most days. Good for you!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Keto without high fat would be tough. Would he watch Peter attia? Maybe a fit doctor eating fat would change his thinking a bit. I don't know... Good luck!

If he found him on his own, it would. But if I suggest it, he's in the mental state of mind right now where he's not looking for my input, yanno?
  • nvmomketo
    glossbones wrote: »

If he found him on his own, it would. But if I suggest it, he's in the mental state of mind right now where he's not looking for my input, yanno?

Ah. Gotcha.
  • glossbones
    At least he still seems to prefer Fathead pizza to traditional, and his stomach taught him a hard lesson about two cheat meals in one day. That's kinda actually progress. It just pains me to see him eating ~150g carbs per day and hating every minute of it, when I really believe he'd find more comfort in far less.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    2.9.16 Checking In
    SW 187
    CW: 147.0 - still..
    1st GW: 142.5 (on 3.1.2016) Probably won't make it. Maybe 145..
    Carbs- Great.
    Exercise - No.
    Calories - Great.

I just realized I didn't eat lunch today. I lasted until 3:41pm on coffee and tea. An unintentional IF. I am so stressed about going on vacation and getting everything done in time.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Wow @nvmomketo! What an amazing drop on the scale!! Even with a bounce back up you're in a good place! Congratulations! Btw! What is coconut carnivore? It's obviously agreeing with you, as carnivore is with me!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    @nvmomketo, wow, nice to see that much progress on the scale! Glad coconut carnivore seems to be agreeing with you. :)

2/9 summary
    SW: 153.4/150.6 for keto
    CW: 133
    GW: 133; now 128ish

Cals: 100 over
    Carbs: 25 net (29 total)
    Exercise: Brisk 15-min walk and some cleaning. Back is getting better! Hope to be back to HIIT and strength soon.
    Sleep: Stayed up about 1/2 hr too late.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Had a few days this week of flubbing my food plans and goals. Think it might be emotional - and fear based due to attracting a little more opposite sex attention than I'm used to, and the dreaded, upcoming singles valentines day experience, and also taking a risk in a relationship where I let a little more of myself be known.
    Instant binge. So predictable and yet so far unpreventable. Currently trying to regroup. All of the above experiences are part of the oveall plan of having the life I want for myself - scary or not - and I am not hiding from the feelings anymore. Even if I'm messing up, I'm staying in the game til I get it figured out.
    New February Goal: Stop the binge. Survive Valentines Day. Send a Valentine. Live with it. It's only feelings.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    For the last 3+ weeks I have been o a 4 lb. roller coaster, since I believe in KCKO, I changed nothing but my magnesium dosage (which did not change my bathroom routine in any way). Yesterday, I lost 11.6 pounds. I don't know if it's real or if my scale is broken. Cannot imagine that loss overnight, but here are the figures ... hope they stay that way.

FEB 9

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 219.8 (Feb 1)
    CW: 204.4
    GW for February: 215
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 30: yes
  • nvmomketo
    Wow @nvmomketo! What an amazing drop on the scale!! Even with a bounce back up you're in a good place! Congratulations! Btw! What is coconut carnivore? It's obviously agreeing with you, as carnivore is with me!

Thanks. :) I'm still eating coconut oil and coconut cream on occasion, otherwise it is meats, cheese and full fat dairy, and eggs. I had a bit of peanut butter in a fat bomb too. Fats from plants like coconuts seems to agree with me so I'm including them. Plus I really like the taste. :)

And thanks @macchiatto :) I hit about 148 a couple of months back and then bounced just above 150 for quite a while. We'll see. I don't mind a bounce. I feel very confident with this woe that my weight will go where it is supposed to,... It's quite freeing. Love it!
    reblazed wrote: »
    For the last 3+ weeks I have been o a 4 lb. roller coaster, since I believe in KCKO, I changed nothing but my magnesium dosage (which did not change my bathroom routine in any way). Yesterday, I lost 11.6 pounds. I don't know if it's real or if my scale is broken. Cannot imagine that loss overnight, but here are the figures ... hope they stay that way.

FEB 9

SW: 247 (12/12, started keto)
    SW: 219.8 (Feb 1)
    CW: 204.4
    GW for February: 215
    GW for 12/31: 180
    Calories under 1200: yes
    Carbs Under 30: yes

11.6? Wow! Let us know if it stays!
  • glossbones
    Yesterday by the end of the work day the inflammation I had in my gut seemed to have faded after a day of flushing a lot of water. Not sure what caused it in the first place, either the dehydration from the day before, the asparagus, or both. Last night we made fathead pizza, and I did not eat half the pie like my mouth wanted me to (I had one slice from each pizza). But at the end of the night I felt bloated again. Cheese? Almond flour? Shallot? Cream in my goat cheese sauce? Xylitol in the BBQ sauce on the pie my husband made? (I doubt it's the last, since inflammation went down during the day and that sauce was in my lunch).

I will be finishing the pizza over the next two or three days as my lunch, though. It tasted incredible and my budget is stretched until I get paid Friday. I can ditch the inflammation this weekend if it's the pizza causing it. ^_^'
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2016
    2.10.16 Checking In
    SW 187
    CW: 146.8 - down .2
    1st GW: 142.5 (on 3.1.2016) Probably won't make it. Maybe 145..
    Carbs- Great.
    Exercise - YES - 1 hour gym
    Calories - Great.

@nvmomketo I was playing with the 148-150 game between Dec. 1st and January 30th. I tend to plateau at that range for some reason. Seemed like forever ARG!! Good news, is I finally broke through last week. It works.
    I wish I had your height. I'm only 5'1" (in a loose size 12 tight 10). Ug. We're getting there.