Barely breaking 1,200 calories per day- not hungry at all. Am I ok?

Options
So I have heard that the absolute minimum amount of calories I should have per day is 1,200 or my body may go into "starvation mode" and retain calories. Based on my current weight, my goal weight and how rapidly I should/shouldn't lose weight... I should be eating no more than 1,600 calories per day
I started today and it went really great. I ate 5 meals about 2 hrs apart each time, never felt overly hungry, didn't snack.... felt great! At the end of the day, after feeling like I have eaten non stop, I just barely broken 1,200 calories. I am not hungry... don't feel "starved" --- should I force more calories? How important is it that I MEET 1,600 every day?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    starvation mode is a myth and without seeing your diary, I will say what i always say... you are LIKELY eating more than you think you are, especially if you are not weighing your food on a food scale....
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Today is just one day. Don't force yourself to eat more. You might find that some days you are naturally more hungry than other days. It's ok to eat more when you are hungry and eat less when you are not hungry. The problems usually arise when we eat for other reasons than being hungry, or we are eating lots of very calorie-dense food. You're fine.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Common newbie problem.
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you just started out recently, its common to eat way under the calories the first few days. It shows your dedication and motivation. Just remember that when you need to eat all your calories and measure your food. Good luck.
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ry9sjuxgtc2y.gif
  • NicoleBerkley
    NicoleBerkley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have weighed everything I ate today.... and yes, I am a "newbie" -- we all start somewhere! Better than staying fat just cause I have no idea what I am doing lol!
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    As long as you're actually breaking the 1200 count and you don't feel hungry, you're probably fine. If every day is under 1200, and if you start adding exercise to the mix, you're likely to burn out pretty quick.
    I did three months at 1200 + half my exercise cals and was fine, but man, if I had calories left at the end of the day, I ate them! They're mine, those calories. ALL MINE! BWAHAHAHAAAAAA~! *that was my evil laugh, in case you couldn't tell*

Also, make sure your macros are lining up. It's really easy to eat 1200 calories of fruit and veg, but in the meantime, your body is starving for protein.
  • Damienriven
    Damienriven Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth, your metabolism will stay around the same and if it does lower it's only a tiny amount. Go into a third world country and find people gaining weight from no food. Don't be scared by going around 1000 calories some days.
  • NicoleBerkley
    NicoleBerkley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As long as you're actually breaking the 1200 count and you don't feel hungry, you're probably fine. If every day is under 1200, and if you start adding exercise to the mix, you're likely to burn out pretty quick.
    I did three months at 1200 + half my exercise cals and was fine, but man, if I had calories left at the end of the day, I ate them! They're mine, those calories. ALL MINE! BWAHAHAHAAAAAA~! *that was my evil laugh, in case you couldn't tell*

Also, make sure your macros are lining up. It's really easy to eat 1200 calories of fruit and veg, but in the meantime, your body is starving for protein.

Thanks so much! I did go over in protein and sodium.... I feel like I didn't get enough carbs so I think I am gonna eat some yogurt to finish off my day :)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you are making sure you eat some protein with every meal and some healthy fats and not feeling like you are starving yourself, you are doing fine. Don't stress over every little thing. Just try to eat a balanced, healthy diet in proper portion sizes and you will do fine. As you go through this you will get better at making sure you are not getting too much sodium, sugar, etc and enough protein. Remember you don't have to give up everything you ate before, you need to be able to maintain your eating plan long term so you don't want to feel cheated. The most important thing is to weigh/measure everything you eat and make that commitment to yourself to log every bite every day. Good luck on your journey to a new healthier you!
  • jakeziskin1
    jakeziskin1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Are you hungry now