Taco Tuesday

Taco Tuesday in my house. Every week. Kids look forward to it. So for myself I take some ground turkey to make the taco meat and put it in a bed of greens. Add tomato and red onion. No dressing needed. Delish.

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Sounds great!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I make a taco out of just about any protein. Eggs, meat, fish, legumes. I use mostly corn tortillas and pile on the veggies. At least 3-4 meals a week of tacos. YUM!

Re: ground turkey - unless you are using ground turkey breast, regular ground turkey can have as much OR MORE fat and calories as lean ground beef. Read the labels!!
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I make a taco out of just about any protein. Eggs, meat, fish, legumes. I use mostly corn tortillas and pile on the veggies. At least 3-4 meals a week of tacos. YUM!

Re: ground turkey - unless you are using ground turkey breast, regular ground turkey can have as much OR MORE fat and calories as lean ground beef. Read the labels!!
    OH THANKS! I usually get lean .. I hope I'm reading the label correctly. Thanks
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    I make tacos with the shells, cheese, salsa and sour cream and only come out at 430 cals for two. I don't consider tacos a particularly calorie unfriendly meal.
  • verdebug
    verdebug Posts: 20 Member
    I love me some tacos - especially with homemade corn tortillas. Mix water and maseca and about five minutes later you have fresh shells, ready to fill with whatever goodness you have on hand.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Mmm...tacos <3 I make mine with toasted corn tortillas (basically dry frying them on the stove), pinto or black bleans, leftover shredded chicken breast with spices, and/or meatless meat or pork loin. Serve with lime wedges, lettuce, tomatoes, and fat free Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. You can have three tacos made this way for under 500 calories.
  • owlprincess1234
    owlprincess1234 Posts: 62 Member
    I make tacos with strips of pork.

750grams of pork
    1 green pepper cubed
    1 red onion cubed
    1 jalapeño chopped
    1 tomato chopped
    Reduced sodium mix
    A bunch of extra spices I add
    Garlic

Makes about 8 giant stand and stuff tacos, with a ton of salsa and some guacamole. It's about 500cals for 2. Super filling and great to eat as left overs.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Trader joes baked tortilla chips are amazing! Very macro friendly!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I make tacos with the shells, cheese, salsa and sour cream and only come out at 430 cals for two. I don't consider tacos a particularly calorie unfriendly meal.

Eh...I can eat a huge dinner for 430 calories. Two little tacos aren't going to satisfy me. This is why I was fat I guess.
  • owlprincess1234
    owlprincess1234 Posts: 62 Member
    Tacos do not need to be little.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    It's all about taco Sunday for me. Local mexi joint carves the El Pastor right off the spit into a hot tortilla that mamacita just hand pressed and grilled a moment before. A splash of freshly made tomitillo salsa and a pinch of salentro with some Caso crumpled on top. Viva Mexico !!!
  • scastor27
    scastor27 Posts: 204 Member
    Love tacos! I have some sort of variation at least once a week. Tonight we used lime seasoned tilapia for the protein with all the fixins and a slaw I whipped up too...all served on toasted corn tortillas. I had three over stuffed ones for right around 500cal. YUM!!!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    This week is taco Wednesday because I forgot to soak the beans :-/
    But I love tacos too. All kinds. Eat 'em up, yum!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    We did ours last night with whole wheat taco shells and spinach wraps..Came out great
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited February 2016
    I eat tacos I make at home often. The fast food type are never filling vs the calories.

For lunch today I made 2 soft tacos with reduced carb wheat tortillas from trader joes - I'm not low carb but these are pretty low calorie and actually taste good with good texture - and cod that I cooked on the foreman grill, made my homemade salsa, a little fat free plain yogurt and half an avacado chopped and a bit of fresh squeezed lime. Very filling and delicious. Macros pretty good too.

Eta the calories after peeking at my diary - 376 calories. If I were more hungry I could have added a serving of refried beans smeared on the tortillas for 120 calories more and all that fiber with some more protein.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Eh...I can eat a huge dinner for 430 calories. Two little tacos aren't going to satisfy me. This is why I was fat I guess.

Who said two little tacos, Alatariel makes these:
    loveless_tacos_by_thestickibear-d2zd1hl.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    senecarr wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Who said two little tacos, Alatariel makes these:
    loveless_tacos_by_thestickibear-d2zd1hl.jpg

Lol my size
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    we probably have tacos 2 times a week with left overe.. i gottaaa have a freshly fried shell for that crunch.. been lovin sproted corn tortillas but i also make homemade from blue corn masa. ok now i need tacos