Golf

bhandzel31
bhandzel31 Posts: 27 Member
Does anyone here play golf? What are good exercises to improve the golf game. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I played my best golf while I was just doing general strength training and playing full court basketball 2-3 times a week.

• IndianaGolfer
    IndianaGolfer Posts: 16,220 Member
    I golf, and since I started MFP right before thanksgiving of 15', I've lost 30 lbs. I've had back surgery in the past, so walking and carrying isn't gonna happen, but I do walk a lot when playing. As far as exercises for just golf, I lift some weights, some cardio, about 30 min each day, and every day I do core and back exercises. A lot of stretching and trying to increase flexibity. I am a decent golfer, 4~6 hdcp and play 3-5 times a week during the summer. I am down from 210 lbs to 180 lbs currently and really just focusing on fitness now rather than losing.
  • Maryselina
    Maryselina Posts: 22 Member
    Pilates helps alround strength.
  • Br3ntG
    Br3ntG Posts: 29 Member
    I don't play but I would think flexibility, a strong core and upper body strength would all help.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Golf plays me. That said, I found my game to improve as I did a whole body exercise routine. Walking, running, lifting (not REAL heavy but increasing weight) stretching and balance exercises. The better general shape I got into the better my game became. Now a 10-12 handicap. ;-)

You walk the course, right?
  • IndianaGolfer
    I ride in cart, except when watching kids play, but youngest is a senior this year. But, I will walk as much as possible carrying a few clubs and finishing out holes with a lot of walking still. I've gotten a cpl rounds of winter golf in and have noticed some much easier swings have produced some very positive results. If I was able to carry my bag, I'd walk, but long term maintaining my back, I won't push it to the limit when giving up golf was the first thing the Dr. Recommended.
  • pondee629
    tfrasur wrote: »
    I ride in cart, except when watching kids play, but youngest is a senior this year. But, I will walk as much as possible carrying a few clubs and finishing out holes with a lot of walking still. I've gotten a cpl rounds of winter golf in and have noticed some much easier swings have produced some very positive results. If I was able to carry my bag, I'd walk, but long term maintaining my back, I won't push it to the limit when giving up golf was the first thing the Dr. Recommended.

I don't carry, I have a hand push cart. Walking the course IS golf, but I'll be dammed if I'll carry my bag any more. Turns golf into, at a minimum, a five mile walk.
  • kchuskey
    kchuskey Posts: 882 Member
    I play once or twice a week. I usually take the cart, but this year I'm dusting the cob webs off of the pull cart.
  • pondee629
    kchuskey wrote: »
    I play once or twice a week. I usually take the cart, but this year I'm dusting the cob webs off of the pull cart.

Makes for a great walk in the park. Don't let a ball ruin it.
  • IndianaGolfer
    Nothing wrong with riding in a cart, there is still a lot of walking involved, specifically when it's cart path only. Half the holes at my local course I walk from my approach shot in. Taking a few clubs with me. If I could carry my bag all the time I would, I'm not a fan of the push/ pull carts. I am ready for golf season right now tho.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Am I the only one who still plays with a caddy?

I am just starting out but really enjoying it. Need to find the motivation to play alone though. When my friends cancel I never go alone... I should though.
  • IndianaGolfer
    No caddies at my course, lol, if so I'd use them. I do play alone quite often, I prefer a group who gambles. I don't often play for an actual score, the game played dictates aggressive play, need to make birdies or you will lose money. I'm a 4-6 hdcp from always attacking the pin. It leads to birdies and or bogies an dbls. Also it leads to the very high risk reward shots. The few times a year we play and we play for score, the whole group is generally 2-4 shots a round better.
  • pondee629
    edited February 2016
    Like the others have said, general fitness and flexibility. Contrary to some of the other guys, I think lifting heavy is just fine for golf, as there is certainly a link between strength and speed, to a point. Credentials: 2 handicap that never practices, play once a week tops. Go ahead and hate me. :laugh:

I walk with a push cart most of the time. Find it helps me stay loose.

You maintain a 2 handicap playing once a week with NO practice? Yep, consider yourself hated ;-) I can't get below a 12 under similar conditions.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Before marriage/dating and the "golf or fishing" ultimatum, I was a 3 while playing a couple rounds a week. My home course was a links style that didn't punish bad drives though...I'm good for one across 2 fairways at least once a round.
  • kchuskey
    I'm around a 12 also. My goal is to break 80 this year.
  • pondee629
    I'm around a 12 also. My goal is to break 80 this year.

I've broken 80 twice. Looking back on those rounds, the easiest golf I've ever played. Nothing about my game was great on those days, BUT nothing sucked. Fairways and greens, and when I missed a green I was able to chip it up close. When I missed a fairway, it was salvageable or I was able to one put. It's amazing how easy the game is, hit the fairway, get to the green in regulation, two put for a par, move on. Piece of cake. Why I can't do that consistently, I don't know. It is what brings me back ;-)
  • kchuskey
    Yeah.. I've had the round where I'm going along smooth. Par, Par, Par, Birdie, then 8! WTF? Triple bogey or Quad will kill a round fast.
  • pondee629
    Yeah.. I've had the round where I'm going along smooth. Par, Par, Par, Birdie, then 8! WTF? Triple bogey or Quad will kill a round fast.

Gotta avoid those snowmen. There are times when you just have to play to save bogey. (double at worse). Size up your position, and if par is not realistic, punch it out safe and save bogey. You can recover from bogey ( that's a round of 90) 8 is a completely different story.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    If you are looking for more distance try exercises where you fire the hips. Seriously, I started a boxing (shadow or against a real bag) with that in mind and the improvement was quite dramatic. Won't fix fundamental flexibility but it won't hurt either.