Which lifting program is the best for you?

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Thanks for this!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Updated.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Some very good powerlifting specific programs can be found here http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/. He even has a video series on many of the top lifting programs as they relate specifically to powerlifting.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Just an idea...there's always a number of people asking about lifting programs over at the Fitness Forum...
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    I think I'd get sick of very standard routines. Right now I'm doing jay cutler 8 weeks to mass that I found on bodybuilding.com. I'm really enjoying it 2 weeks in. And each week changes some of the lifts so it keeps me entertained.
  • psuLemon
    I think I'd get sick of very standard routines. Right now I'm doing jay cutler 8 weeks to mass that I found on bodybuilding.com. I'm really enjoying it 2 weeks in. And each week changes some of the lifts so it keeps me entertained.

You would probably enjoy the new rules of lifting series. Routines change every 4-8 weeks and even within that period the volume changes.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    I love the Body Sculpting Bible.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    psulemon wrote: »

You would probably enjoy the new rules of lifting series. Routines change every 4-8 weeks and even within that period the volume changes.

Hm maybe I'll look into it. I don't really want to buy a book though lol.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Strong Curves is my go to nowadays, but quite surprised to see it listed as beginners. Surely that all depends on the weight that's being lifted compared to body weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Strong Curves is my go to nowadays, but quite surprised to see it listed as beginners. Surely that all depends on the weight that's being lifted compared to body weight.

That can be said of any program. After a while you lift heavy (heavier than strong curves) with strong lifts. I would classify the advanced strong curves as advanced beginner. I find intermediate programs more challenging. They are basically what you move on to once you stall out on beginner programs.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    When to switch from Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/when-to-switch-from-stronglifts-5x5-to-other-programs/

The stronglifts app takes care of everything for you, it will tell you when to deload, when to switch to 3x5, etc... just do the program.
  • psuLemon

It's kind of a progressive program, just like NROL where it addressed the basics and moves on from there. So it was merely a limitation of categorization. In general, when it comes to newbie recommendations, SC is at the top, especially for woman.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    eeejer wrote: »
    When to switch from Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/when-to-switch-from-stronglifts-5x5-to-other-programs/

The stronglifts app takes care of everything for you, it will tell you when to deload, when to switch to 3x5, etc... just do the program.

Cool. It hasn't told me anything like that yet, so I must be good. ;)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    edited February 2016
    Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs Routine

Fierce 5
  • psuLemon
    Coolcicada's Push/Pull/Legs Routine

Fierce 5

Thank you. I added these to the list.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I'm doing a version of 5/3/1 (for PL) from Beyond 5/3/1. I don't know if it needs to be added to the list specifically; but I like this version, b/c I can work at my 1RM more often.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited February 2016
    I bastardized Wendler's after running it for about a year.

I basically do bench, ohp, squats, and deads 2x each every eight days. I never take rest days for the most part and do squats/deads every day but in the 50-70% of my 1rm. I do a deload of every main lift every 12 days.

I throw in 3-4 accessory lifts and finish with yoga.

I've ran this bastardized version for 2+ years and love the flexibility of tailoring it to my bodies issues and needs.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    you may want to add this site which helps you pick a program based on goals etc http://rohitnair.net/pp/
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    psulemon wrote: »
    All,

Since it's a very common question when it comes to bulking, I wanted to create a running list of programs that can provide a solid foundation for members, whether they are in the beginning stages of bulking, going back to a cut or looking to maintain their gains.

Since the majority of our advanced lifters tend to gravitate in this section, I plan on placing this here, unless it's deemed more appropriate for another section. Please keep in mind, this is intended to be a comprehensive list, and I encourage all members to provide additional programs for me to add to the list (might as well use my mod powers for some good >:) ).

Beginner Lifting Programs

Intermediate Lifting Programs

Advanced Lifting Programs

Power Lifting
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Powerlifting/advanced

Sheiko

Smolov