Dear scale, I hate you.

I know, I know, don't pay attention to the scale. But seriously. I had one bad day....one. Where I likely ate just a tad over my maintenance calories. Not enough to make up for a great week of eating almost completely clean and losing 1.5lbs! But it's been 3 days now and the scale still says I'm up 4 pounds!!! I'm so frustrated!

And it's my time of the month so I'm sure that's not helping, but it's all SO discouraging. I am always motivated by results...this lack of is not helping. What do you do when you get stuck like this to kee from giving up?!

Replies

• xROME
    xROME Posts: 4 Member
    It's just a small blurb in the long-term. You look great, you don't wanna stop now!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Check your progress weekly instead of daily. Weight loss is not linear.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    on the 5th day of your period, the scale will drop significantly.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Measurements. I don't really care what the scale says if my measurements are still going down.
  • wiggnack
    wiggnack Posts: 2 Member
    I had my husband hide our scale, and I only weigh once a month now. I feel so much better now. The scale isn't always the best way to measure success anyway.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited February 2016
    It sounds like you know how weight loss works (minus the clean eating comment) so just stick with it and trust the process. The scale will catch up in the end.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Based on recommendations here, I use trendweight. I try not to focus on the day to day stuff. And even with trendweight, I focus on numbers only 2-3 weeks after I change something. So I just upped my calories last week. I'm not going to know what difference that is going to make until it gets enough data to average it out. So I'll review my plan after 2-3 weeks and make adjustments (either adding or subtracting calories).

Trying to remind myself that it will take time to find the right balance for me. If it takes me a few extra weeks to get to my goal weight, that's perfectly OK. In the meantime, I use my kitchen scale and try to log as accurately as possible.
  • alarcom
    alarcom Posts: 1 Member
    I'm such a scale *kitten*. I can't not look every morning and it totally changes my day if I'm up or down. I know I have to stop and will probably ask my husband to hide it and just do a weekly weigh in. I'm only 16 lbs from my goal so I'm extra sensitive and focused on numbers.

I did start exercise about 6 weeks ago and it's really made my weight fluctuate. I was very frustrated at first and gained about 5 lbs but it's finally come back off.

I don't have a solution for you, only to say I totally understand and TRY not to let it get to you!
  • Firstly you look amazing. Secondly, I hate the scales too. There are too many variables that we cannot pin point as to why the numbers go up or down. Even when I have been good and worked my butt off in the gym or whatever I can put 4lbs on. It CANNOT be fat I know that, but it still makes me feel rubbish. I just tell myself that what I am doing is good for me and regardless of what the scales say I'm eating well and exercising. And it's working- I can run further before having a break and I can lift more at the gym. Concentrate on those "non scale victories" as they are the things that illustrate your progress
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Scales can be your best friend and mortal enemy, sometimes at the same time! Just keep repeating to yourself that weight loss isn't linear. That can help. ^_^
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    This is on my profile page....

I am not defined by the number on the scale! I am defined by the fact that I can now: run 10 minute miles! Do real push-ups! Do 24 inch box jumps! Do 30 pound dumbbell curls! Run a half-marathon! Hold my yoga poses longer! Do the more difficult level of my yoga poses! SUCK IT, scale!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Find non-scale victories. Measurements, fitting into a dream dress, running times, running endurance, flexibility, ability to do a certain yoga pose, weight-lifted, whatever else!

If you need to weight daily, use an app like Happy Scale (free). It graphs your overall trend weight. So even if the scale goes up, overtime you can see it will go down and you'll be OK.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    It probably is because of your monthly.

I get it though. I gained 1.5 pounds over night, probably from the salt I put on my eggs.

I've been within my daily Calories every day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    lindsayh87 wrote: »
    I know, I know, don't pay attention to the scale. But seriously. I had one bad day....one. Where I likely ate just a tad over my maintenance calories. Not enough to make up for a great week of eating almost completely clean and losing 1.5lbs! But it's been 3 days now and the scale still says I'm up 4 pounds!!! I'm so frustrated!

And it's my time of the month so I'm sure that's not helping, but it's all SO discouraging. I am always motivated by results...this lack of is not helping. What do you do when you get stuck like this to kee from giving up?!

I do the math and then realize that I'm holding onto water weight...'cuz maths...

I also analyze trends, not the day to day.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Measurements. I don't really care what the scale says if my measurements are still going down.

Yeah, lbs are a crappy metric alone.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    5a3wzujhpty0.jpg
  • shrinkinmom1
    shrinkinmom1 Posts: 17 Member
    I smashed my scale and threw it out over 6 years ago. I am so much happier not being controlled by that damned thing. I use the clothes in my closet as a guide. I can tell when I have lost or gained a few. Every couple of months I will get on the scale at the gym and I am always mad at the result whether it is up or down.

BTW...I have lost over 100 lbs and kept it off over six years. I have decided to stop dieting and all the yo-yoing that went with it. The scale was my biggest enemy and always resulted in some sort of binge.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I'm sorry. Just remember weight loss is not linear and many different things effect that number on the scale. Many people become bloated around their period so don't be too hard on yourself.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Between one day to the next, I can fluctuate between 3 and 5 pounds.
    The day I weigh is Sunday morning and that's because I get the most sleep.
    So once a week I really get to see what I weigh. I've gained, but it's no big deal, cause I've lost inches in the right places. Gained in the right places. And my clothes keep getting baggy.
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    This is on my profile page....

I am not defined by the number on the scale! I am defined by the fact that I can now: run 10 minute miles! Do real push-ups! Do 24 inch box jumps! Do 30 pound dumbbell curls! Run a half-marathon! Hold my yoga poses longer! Do the more difficult level of my yoga poses! SUCK IT, scale!

I love it!!!!!!!