I'm bulking, any advice?

I've been on a lean bulk from 142 lbs to 155 lbs. The the end goal is 200 lbs. I'm doing okay so far, any advice would be much appreciated!
(I know about macros, and I've got a good basis of foods to eat). I mainly struggle with meal prep...

Replies

• feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Can you be more specific about your meal prep woes?

Congratz on the gain so far. 200 though, wow, that's very ambitious.
  • solliedav
    solliedav Posts: 1 Member
    Are you going clean or dirty and are you keeping on your meal plan, and 200 is lofty from 155 @ 1lbs of good muscle every week!
  • Legomymago
    Legomymago Posts: 6 Member
    Can you be more specific about your meal prep woes?

Not sure what foods last a great amount of time cooked in the fridge.
    Not sure what foods are good/okay to eat every day.
    Also, not sure about what variety of meats/vegetables I should eat everyday, and or every other day..

For the most part I eat just about the same stuff everyday lol
  • Legomymago
    solliedav wrote: »
    Are you going clean or dirty and are you keeping on your meal plan, and 200 is lofty from 155 @ 1lbs of good muscle every week!

Clean, and so far I've been putting on lean mass.. I don't know when the lean mass will start to slow more dramatically. Also, I have a super fast metabolism. (I'm no longer going for a set time, I'm just going for the goal)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Legomymago wrote: »
    solliedav wrote: »

Clean, and so far I've been putting on lean mass.. I don't know when the lean mass will start to slow more dramatically. Also, I have a super fast metabolism. (I'm no longer going for a set time, I'm just going for the goal)

Well the human body has a lot of limitations in the ability to gain muscle. Most guys are limited to a few lbs per month and depending on genetics, roughly 20 lbs per year.

Most likely, your metabolism falls in the typical realm that we all deal with. It's the types of foods, amount of cardio or how active your job is, that is increasing your calorie levels. But to start simple, how many calories are you eating? What is your exercise routine? Do you have an active job?
  • dizzler1
    dizzler1 Posts: 48 Member
    200 is extreme given your current weight , remember they say you can only build 0.25 lbs of muscle a week if everything is optimal . Lower your expectations eat a healthy surplus and lift hard and remember to rest , don't become a gym rat 1 hour 3 or 4 times a week with the right programme will work
  • jonathantrush
    jonathantrush Posts: 12 Member
    200 will take years properly. Natural. Do a series of smaller bulks and cuts. Easier on you to gain 15 lbs then cut 7lbs fat and start gaining another 15 and drop 7 lbs fat. Till you reach your goal. Than gain 60 lbs and drop 40lbs of fat.
  • jessekuhel
    jessekuhel Posts: 15 Member
    Jus do a dirty bulk and don't worry to much on counting calories because when you start your cut its only an extra 5 weeks of dieting
  • jessekuhel
    jessekuhel Posts: 15 Member

I'm kinda curious about this can you possibly add me and give me more info
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Legomymago wrote: »
    I've been on a lean bulk from 142 lbs to 155 lbs. The the end goal is 200 lbs. I'm doing okay so far, any advice would be much appreciated!
    (I know about macros, and I've got a good basis of foods to eat). I mainly struggle with meal prep...

Others have noted this and I will alos.
    Going from 142 to 155 and now to 200....that's huge!!!

You should probably break it up over the course of years honestly.
    What is your height?

I am 6'1 and weigh in at 175 right now.
    I could (if my appetite were to hold) put on 25 lbs. to get to 200.
    But I would have to do it over the course of probably a year of sold calorie surplus.
    That would mean the goal being an average of 2 lbs / month.....I could probably shoot for about an 8 month time frame as well....that would be 3-4 lbs a month.

But in my case I think the longer time frame would be better for me....because you can only put on so much muscle. It is a very slow process.
    So chances are if I were to try the shorter time frame, I would probably put on 8 (maybe 10 lbs of muscle) while the remaining 17 lbs would be fat and water.....so let's say 4 lbs of water, the remaining 13 lbs would be fat.
    I would not be so comfortable with that personally.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Now to give you the scenario of a 12 month bulk period.
    Goal would be 2 lbs / month == 24 lbs. So end up around 200 lbs.

At the end of that, Let's say I still put on the ~10 lbs of muscle (maybe 12 if I am really lucky)....
    But if I put on 10 lbs of muscle, that leaves 14 lbs of fat and water.
    Again, we will say 4 lbs of water....leaving ~10 lbs of fat.
    I would be more comfortable with that.....
    10 lbs of muscle and 10 lbs of fat.....that ratio I like better....
    So hopefully when I cut down, I would be around 185 lbs at a ~7% BF
  • Legomymago
    I'm 6'3, and I might still be growing lol. I'm almost 21 years old but I've noticed I've grown a half an inch in height recently.. I figure 200 lbs isn't to bad for my frame. Also, I don't have a set period for this goal. I think if I do it right, however, I might hit a lean looking 200 lbs in 3 years.
  • Legomymago
    200 will take years properly. Natural. Do a series of smaller bulks and cuts. Easier on you to gain 15 lbs then cut 7lbs fat and start gaining another 15 and drop 7 lbs fat. Till you reach your goal. Than gain 60 lbs and drop 40lbs of fat.

My metabolism is really fast.. This is something I'm not worried about. It seems as if my body expelles excess fat, so the difference between me eating 70-150g of fat is like I'm eating only 70g. My body doesn't seem to use anymore than what it basically needs lol. The only times I've felt I've gained weight is when I've broken down muscle, and taken enough protein. *As for being sedentary, I don't gain weight easy.

I'm 158 now and still looking lean. If I end up looking fat at around 170 then maybe my body has a regular metabolism... So far though I believe it's really fast lol
  • Legomymago
    I'm also judging this by my strength, my strength has been going up at a good rate. I am natural btw, and I don't ever plan to exceed 200 lbs bodyweight unless I get any taller.

I might just hit 190 lbs, and stay there until I figure if gaining weight from then on could benefit me..