What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• weezieweeks
    weezieweeks Posts: 152 Member
    samgamgee wrote: »
    That is takes a while to realize I am not always the biggest girl in the room. I will still pick out people and ask my husband, "am I the same size as her?"...he laughs and tells me I am delusional. I have no perception of my real size.

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758 This helped me, you might find it useful.

Loved this, thank you. I think I will keep the website as a favorite as I go through the process of getting more healthy! I am not quite as big as I thought I was, so a nice little NSV.

What a fab website! Apparently I'm 7.5% smaller than I estimated.

My NSV is that today I did W9D2 of Couch to 5 K, ran for a tad longer, and ended up running 5 K in 30 mins 40 seconds! My goal for the end of the year (!) was to run a sub 30 minute 5 K, but I think I might be able to crack that on my final C25K run in a couple of days...

It calculated me 15% lower than photo I selected...

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    JMRod wrote: »
    Walking into Lane Bryant to buy new bras and being told, "we don't carry your size". I had to go to Victoria's Secret:-)

Best ever!!! ;-)
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    agzram wrote: »
    JMRod wrote: »
    Walking into Lane Bryant to buy new bras and being told, "we don't carry your size". I had to go to Victoria's Secret:-)

Best ever!!! ;-)

Omg, that's awesome, congrats!!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    No one tells you how hard it is to get back all the ("vintage") clothes you lent to your kids, thinking you'd never fit back in them again.

Haha! yes, I am stealing back all my "vintage" clothes from my daughter too!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    That getting close to your goal could actually be kind of scary and could possibly make your revert back to the old you.

@Shanel0916 don't believe it! Set a new goal, maybe not weight loss but fitness or maintenance related - don't go back!!

Thanks it just seems surreal sometimes. All the times I've tried to lose weight and now its finally working so it feels odd. Guess I expected to fail again which is pretty sad.
  • aliciasilfies
    aliciasilfies Posts: 179 Member

Turns out that I'm 35% smaller than I thought! I guess my mind really does need to catch up!
  • GeordieLaforge
    GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member

Turns out that I'm 35% smaller than I thought! I guess my mind really does need to catch up!

So funny, it turns out I'm 5.6% LARGER than I thought I was :tongue:
    Whenever I lose half a pound I look in the mirror and think "Oh! I'm so skinny now!" even though it literally makes no difference, haha NOT quite yet. I just love progress! no matter how small!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    ... One girl I know after losing weight actually left her boyfriend because she had no respect for him because he was with a fatty. Umm that was her. WHAT THE WHAT, right!?

That's so ... wrong! Poor guy! >.<

• Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758 This helped me, you might find it useful.[/quote]

OMG!!!!!!! I was WAAAAYYYYYY off!!! It said that I am 20% smaller than I think. WOW! I'm in shock. :o
  • dzmikki
    dzmikki Posts: 254 Member
    I love reading this thread~~
  • gypsyhick
    gypsyhick Posts: 1 Member
    Today marks 30 days of tracking. This is the longest that I've been consistent without any external "weight loss challenges". I'm tentatively optimistic. I'm walking more, which I really enjoy - as do the kid and dog.

I'd love to add weight training since I've had such success in the past just by adding that component - but where's the magic pill that makes me love working out? Maybe I'll start with once a week and just see where it takes me. I'm terrible for setting unrealistic goals and I'm mindfully avoiding that now.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Nobody told me that I would have changes in my head - physical changes - as in the bones of my cranium are more pronounced and I can feel the musculature in my neck and up the back of my head. I'm glad I have hair, my scalp probably looked really bad before, all rolls and wrinkles. Yikes.
  • Chele_Belle_
    Chele_Belle_ Posts: 65 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758 This helped me, you might find it useful.[/

This link is very helpful. I am 12.5% smaller than I thought..... Come on brain! Get in the game!
  • shrinkinmom1
    shrinkinmom1 Posts: 17 Member
    Cutemesoon wrote: »
    http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/freeformat/page.action?pageId=7758 This helped me, you might find it useful.[/

This link is very helpful. I am 12.5% smaller than I thought..... Come on brain! Get in the game!

Awesome Link!! I am 17.5 % smaller than i thought I was and I have the perfect hourglass shape! NSV for sure.
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Beanogirl wrote: »
    You will lose some friends who see you as a threat! Just let them go.....

I have one University friend who has disappointed me. She is 10 stone and is shorter than me but has no conception of my weight because I'm taller. I said I had lost a stone in 2 weeks and that I had 2 1/2 stone to go and she said that sounded too much and asked me what I was eating! I went dry for January which is not even weight loss related for a lot of people and she almost shamed me for refusing free alcohol and said that I've never refused free alcohol before! I saw her last weekend and the first thing she said was "oh wow looking very skinny minny" before even saying hello! Do you reckon I should say something or just ignore it?
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    I'm only starting on my journey - 16lbs lost since Jan 2nd. But the biggest thing is quite how much time I have to dedicate to thinking about food, prepping food. Whoever mentioned earlier about the sheer volume of healthy food I'm consuming. I'm eating 5-6 times a day. Before I would eat 3 times a day (or sometimes 2 if I skipped breakfast), but what I was eating and my portions were totally out of control.
    -
    - I'm having to cart masses of food into work with me every day.
    -
    - Love it though.

In a similar situation to you - I started the same day haha I lost 19 so far and I will be recording my weight and measurements tomorrow morning fingers crossed!

I find I think about food/fitness a lot and that's what drives me. Reading Women's Health magazine and other related fitness ones are a great motivation plus they pass the time when on the bike for 15 mins on an interval setting!

I do find it most difficult when being social as my friends don't think of food/drink the same way I do!
  • taniellej
    taniellej Posts: 5 Member
    You need to work on building muscle or your butt will be flat. Squat, squat, squat. My hubby's biggest fear is for my butt to disappear.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    katy_2810 wrote: »

I have one University friend who has disappointed me. She is 10 stone and is shorter than me but has no conception of my weight because I'm taller. I said I had lost a stone in 2 weeks and that I had 2 1/2 stone to go and she said that sounded too much and asked me what I was eating! I went dry for January which is not even weight loss related for a lot of people and she almost shamed me for refusing free alcohol and said that I've never refused free alcohol before! I saw her last weekend and the first thing she said was "oh wow looking very skinny minny" before even saying hello! Do you reckon I should say something or just ignore it?

Why would you reprimand a friend for noticing your hard work and acknowledging it?
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    katy_2810 wrote: »

Some people are very clumsy in their acknowledgement of your success. They also often don't understand that what you are doing is healthy. I would just ignore it and smile.

I have a friend who is similar, she always greets me with 'wow you look so skinny' which makes me uncomfortable. I just go along with it and thank her because I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she means well!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!