60lbs to lose by August 20th 2016

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    I'm very unfit (and also can't afford a gym!) so I've just been using videos to do a bit of gentle exercise at home, or going out for a walk when the weather is nice. (Icy sidewalks can make that difficult sometimes!)

I've seen many posts and articles that say exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, though, so don't feel too bad about it if you don't have the motivation right now! The calorie deficit is the thing to watch for losing the pounds, and exercise is just to improve your fitness level (or to give you a few extra calories to eat if you need them!).

I don't have much of a social life anyway, but hubby and I have been out to eat or got takeout a few times since I started watching my calories. I generally try and look up nutrition info online before we go, so I know what the better choices are, and depending on what I order I might bring half the meal home to eat later instead of scoffing it all at the restaurant like I used to! :smile:

If you're visiting with friends and eating at their place then I guess it's more difficult to know exactly what you're eating, but I'd say not to worry too much and just enjoy the company. Try and guess at your portions if you can (I still find this difficult), and avoid having too much of the higher-calorie foods or drinks if possible, but unless you're doing this several times a week it's probably not a big deal. Eat a little less the rest of the day, or another day of the week, to make up for it, and don't let it derail you completely. :smile:
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    I've been going running, I joined a local club, it's free and they are doing a 10 week 'Zero-5k' programme for beginners. I find this helps me stay motivated and gives me the kick up the backside I need.

I don't eat back my exercise calories, and I know many people will say I should be, but I don't feel I need to. The food i'm eating each day is generally enough for me, and I just see exercise as a bonus on top, not just something i'm doing so I can eat more. Also it means that if I do have a night out and eat a bit more than usual it doesn't make any difference because i'm still in a deficit.

I only weigh in once a week, but I weigh myself each day to keep a track of the fluctuations, I also take my measurements once a month and I find this works for me.

Socially I was finding it a bit difficult, and was beginning to get a bit worried about eating out, but I just check ahead to see if the place has an online menu now and whether they do any 'healthy' options. If not I go through the MFP database to find similar foods and use the highest calorie entry to err on the side of caution to give me an idea of what to avoid, or what's good to go. Most of it is common sense though really, i.e. avoid anything deep fried etc.

I'm doing alright. I have good days and bad days (I log everything, good and bad), but overall the weight is coming off, and i'm feeling better in myself, so that's all that matters. :smile:
  • JillPoverud
    JillPoverud Posts: 27 Member
    How is everyone doing? I'm finding the calorie counting not too hard but finding social life to be difficult, and due to cold weather not really wanting to go to the gym. Anyone finding motivation to work out?

I've been doing body weight moves like push ups, planks, squats, etc., and also lifting weights (8 pounds right now) in my living room. Motivation: As I lose weight I want to be toned, not overly flabby. There are a ton of workout ideas online/pinterest.

Good luck!
  • JillPoverud
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    How much do you need to lose in total? Aiming for 2-3lbs a week is probably much too aggressive - 1lb a week (or a little more) is probably a better goal for most people, as losing it slowly and learning new habits along the way will help to keep it off in the long term. (And being able to eat more calories will stop you feeling deprived and hungry, which might contribute to giving up.) If you only have a few pounds to lose then apparently that's much harder to do, and you may have to aim for just half a pound instead.

I can understand the impatience - believe me, I'd love my excess weight to be gone overnight! But unless I want to chop off a leg, that ain't happening. :wink:

6lbs in a month is great going - it's more than 1lb per week. :smile: Please don't give up yet, just because the scale isn't moving as fast as you'd like. Taking your measurements is an excellent idea, as is checking how your clothes fit and things like that. Check out some of the success stories on these forums, and also browse through this thread - there are a ton of other things that are indicative of success, not just the number on the scale:

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1275030/whats-your-most-recent-nsv

I wish you success - we're a supportive little group here, so feel free to send a few friend requests if you'd like!

Thank you so much. I appreciate it!
  • rachelmarie1
    rachelmarie1 Posts: 201 Member
    I'd love to join you in your fitness journey! My goal is 90 pounds gone forever!
  • Nettavo
    Nettavo Posts: 2 Member
    Hi stay focused get a trainer if you can eat clean
  • SueSueDio
    Nettavo wrote: »
    Hi stay focused get a trainer if you can eat clean

I eat clean - I always wash my fruit and veg! :smiley:
    628462 Posts: 58 Member
    I am struggling after week #4. Gained 1 pound this week. Ate healthy and exercised for 5 days - did great! But then for 2 days I was bad. So those two days caused one pound of weight gain?
    It is so hard to take weight off but so unbelievably easy to put back on!
    THIS IS SO HARD
  • beautydiva811
    beautydiva811 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello, I would love to help keep each other motivated through our journey. I need to loose 55lbs and I know how hard it can be to keep on the right path. Message me or add me as a friend of you would like :-) thanks
  • jseltzer108
    jseltzer108 Posts: 26 Member
    Hi I think it would be great if we could help each other stay motivated. I want to lose 30 pounds by May and I'm having trouble sticking to my diet. Any ideas? Feel free to add or message me :)
  • JillPoverud
    628462 wrote: »
    I am struggling after week #4. Gained 1 pound this week. Ate healthy and exercised for 5 days - did great! But then for 2 days I was bad. So those two days caused one pound of weight gain?
    It is so hard to take weight off but so unbelievably easy to put back on!
    THIS IS SO HARD

It could be from too much salt, or just a fluctuation. I have had the same thing happen to me. Just keep going!

I am losing very slowly, eating mostly unprocessed foods and doing body weight exercises (I do eat a little bread and some lower sugar nutrition bars here and there). One thing I just verified through ups and downs on the scale is that for me, when I don't eat all my carbs, but do eat all, or more than all of my protein and fat, that's when I see the scale go down.

Just keep tracking to find what works for you.
  • SueSueDio
    Hi I think it would be great if we could help each other stay motivated. I want to lose 30 pounds by May and I'm having trouble sticking to my diet. Any ideas? Feel free to add or message me :)

For a start, don't call it a "diet". :smile: Think of it as a lifestyle change, unless you plan to put the weight back on after whatever event you're trying to lose for.

30lbs by May is very ambitious - it might be possible, depending on how overweight you are right now, but it's more than 2lbs a week. It's quite likely that trying to lose that much will leave you feeling very hungry, which may be why you're having trouble sticking with it. How many calories per day are you aiming for?

Instead of focusing on being a particular weight by a certain day, you could try just making better food choices, watching your portions (weigh everything!), and aiming for a smaller calorie deficit. You're bound to see changes even if the scale doesn't drop as fast as you'd like. Measure yourself too, and take note of how your clothes fit! Seeing even small amounts of progress will help motivate you to stay on track with the changes, especially if you start feeling better about yourself. :smile:

@628462 - what do you mean by "ate healthy"? Are you eating at a calorie deficit, or just trying to choose fruit over chips? :smile: The only way to get the weight off is to eat less than your body burns - make sure you're weighing your food so you know exactly how much you're eating, as it may be more than you think.

It's normal for your weight to fluctuate day to day (I just started weighing myself daily and I'm seeing this in action - it's hard to get your head around it to start with) and I think women see that even more. I've also read that starting (or changing) an exercise plan can lead to your body retaining water for a few days. You said you were 'bad' for a couple of days, so if you ate a lot of salty foods or high calorie stuff it might have affected your progress too.

Try not to worry about it too much - everything I've read here says your weight will fluctuate, it will stall, it will go up before it goes back down... it's all normal. Just stick with it, and try and measure your progress in other ways if the scale isn't cooperating. :smile:

Good luck!

(Sending out some friend requests. :smile: )
  • jseltzer108
    Thanks for the advice! You're right I need to start thinking of it as a lifestyle change. And maybe it is too ambitious to try to lose 30 pounds by May but I'm gonna try anyway :)
  • orlando_b
    orlando_b Posts: 9 Member
    60 lbs is literally the amount I need to lose. End of August is a good goal for me.
    I'd love to support people as well. Feel free to add.
  • SueSueDio
    Thanks for the advice! You're right I need to start thinking of it as a lifestyle change. And maybe it is too ambitious to try to lose 30 pounds by May but I'm gonna try anyway :)

Go for it! Just don't starve yourself in the process. :smile:

(And try not to be too disappointed if you don't make it - any progress in the right direction is awesome regardless of how far you get!)
  • jseltzer108
    SueSueDio wrote: »

Go for it! Just don't starve yourself in the process. :smile:

(And try not to be too disappointed if you don't make it - any progress in the right direction is awesome regardless of how far you get!)

Thanks! Yea I agree any progress is good progress :)

• therealhyper
    therealhyper Posts: 124 Member
    Hi all!

I've always been a big girl and my weight has always fluctuated. Unfortunately in the last 4 years... Since meeting my wonderful fiance, I've let it go. I got comfy and fat. But I'm no longer comfortable with my size, or who I see in the mirror. I'm wonderfully supported by my man who loves me at any size (thank god) but I'm ready to make a serious change. August 20th 2016 is my wedding day, and I am making it my goal to lose 60lbs by that date.

I'd love to make some friends and some accountabili-buddies along the way because I know I can't do it alone! Thanks all :)

Hey!!
    Wishing you all the best....loads of great people on this site who will help and support.
    You can do this.....!!!!
  • alexandra_burchette
    alexandra_burchette Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2016
    Hi I would love to join this amazing journey with all of you:) I'm 20 years old and my highest was 240 and I've dropped about 30 pounds and I'm now struggling to lose more.. My goal is to lose 45 pounds by the end of June and I would be so happy if you all would help me to get motivated again and I would be so happy to help you also.
    Feel free to add or message me
    LETS DO THIS TOGETHER!:)
  • MelyCastillo
    MelyCastillo Posts: 18 Member
    Wonderful I'll be happy to join you guys I need to lose 50 pounds by August 2016. I'm happy to help
  • kaminatra
    kaminatra Posts: 2 Member
    edited February 2016
    Count me in! I just joined and would love to lose at least 40 lbs by August...half of what my goal is :)