Question about Front Squats

Options
Just hitting gym all over again, and this time, instead of traditional back squats, I'm going to do Front Squats. After the first day of doing them, I happened to noticed soreness in my tailbone area. I wasn't sure if it was the squats or the different mattress I had been sleeping on.

Would it be normal to feel some soreness in the tailbone area after starting them?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do not remember feeling anything like that. Hopefully this will bump up your question and somebody else will answer.
  • tonyrosen
    tonyrosen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can really think of is that you're back isn't straight, and you may have strained a muscle(?)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I routinely do front squats and have never had that issue.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back to the gym after a long time away.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would hazard it lkkely has nothing to do with the fronts.

Personally I would try them again at light weight and see if I noticed anything.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes! When my form wasn't good, or I went down too low or used too heavy of weights, my lower back hurt.
    I agree with the comment above, try a bit lighter weights and see if u notice a difference. Lighter weights will be easier to control your form better.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. But squatting/exercising a lot gives me piriformis syndrome. It is a muscle in the glutes that swells and pinches the sciatic nerve, which causes "tail bone" pain. Try foam rolling.
  • roth5107
    roth5107 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I remember having this issue when I first started front squats. I was told I had a "butt wink" (Google that) and attributed the tailbone pain to that. I fixed my technique and it stopped hurting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    roth5107 wrote: »
    I remember having this issue when I first started front squats. I was told I had a "butt wink" (Google that) and attributed the tailbone pain to that. I fixed my technique and it stopped hurting.

Was the tailbone pain the sciatic nerve or more like your lower back?