Whats a good gym routine?

Hello. I recently lost 17 pounds. I just joined the YMCA. I have been doing mostly cardio. But I'd like to build some muscle and tone up a bit.

I'm not comfortable with benching yet because I'm by myself. But they have other equipment. I'm new to all this so I don't know how many reps I should be doing or what I need to work on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Get on a beginners lifting program. Full body 3x per week would be good. Something like Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, All Pros.

No offense but...is there a reason you're afraid to bench by yourself? Many of us do. At least until we are up near our max.
  • boomersports123
    boomersports123 Posts: 20 Member
    Just lighten the weight on the bench till you get comfortable with it then gradually move the weight up as you get stronger and more comfortable with the lift. Unless you have some sort of underlying issue. Good luck with your goals
  • bf2311786
    bf2311786 Posts: 13 Member
    Lol I'm mainly embarrassed that I've never really lifted. So I feel awkward trying. Stupid I know. But I feel like everyone is staring at me struggling with the tiniest bit of weight lol. No underlying issues at all I just need to push myself out of my comfort zone I guess. Thanks guys!
  • bf2311786
    I'm just trying to learn everything for the first time. I want to make sure I'm doing it effectively.
  • arditarose
    bf2311786 wrote: »
    Lol I'm mainly embarrassed that I've never really lifted. So I feel awkward trying. Stupid I know. But I feel like everyone is staring at me struggling with the tiniest bit of weight lol. No underlying issues at all I just need to push myself out of my comfort zone I guess. Thanks guys!

Watch a lot of form videos before you go in. The day before, day of...hell, I've watched form videos of the lift I'm doing right there in between sets. Start with a warm up with the bar and just start adding weight slowly.
  • bf2311786
    That's a good idea. Thank you!
  • arditarose
    Have fun! I had to teach myself to bench press too, so I get it. Look into some of those programs. The Strong Lifts website has great form videos and there is a phone app to go along with the program that tells you what to lift, when, and how much.
  • boomersports123
    boomersports123 Posts: 20 Member
    Bro don't worry about what others think of you that will hinder your workout. Plus everybody had to start somewhere and 98% of the time when you think ppl are looking at you or talking about you they are not. Just go to the gym and do what you can and you'll get where you wanna be with dedication. Remember you grow outside of the gym not inside so you gotta eat! Good luck!!

• elite_nal
    elite_nal Posts: 127 Member

Practice perfect form and.......practice perfect form (mainly by executing compound movements if you're a complete beginner). Leave your ego at the door, lift a weight that you can handle and get enough rest for your body to recover between sessions. Injury is the last thing you'd want to happen. Injury prevention should actually be treated as a primary concern, because your ability to train and build muscle hinges on the fact that your joints are healthy enough to do so in the first place.

Keep a log book and track progress from workout to workout.

If you're new to all of this, always remember that...

EVERY "fit person" out there with that "awesome physique" was a complete beginner at some point too!

Don't let your mind be fooled by the "finished product" that you see in other people. It might appear "unattainable" or out of reach right now, but those people do not possess anything special that you don't.

They're simply another person who had a goal, followed a process and got a result. They were a complete bodybuilding beginner or fat loss beginner at one time too, who knew absolutely nothing about how to get into shape.

Genetics obviously do play a role in determining what sort of "ultimate body" a given person can achieve... but unless you're in the very lower percentile, ANYONE out there can build muscle, lose fat and achieve an awesome physique.

The reason why this realization is such a huge source of bodybuilding motivation is because it creates a strong "certainty of outcome" within you right from the outset. It helps you see the end-result as 100% inevitable and shows you that as long as you put in the effort, you WILL get to your bodybuilding goals given enough time.

If you feel uncertain because you're viewing all these other "fit people" as being in some special class above you, it's going to drain your gym motivation and make it much less likely that you'll stick with things.

You must understand that simply following the steps of proper training and nutrition literally guarantees your muscle building or fat burning results.

Always remember that ANYONE can do it, and it's just a matter of execution.
  • bf2311786
    I will definitely do that. I know it's possible for me to get where they all are. And I know it takes time. I appreciate all the advice and tips. I guess I'm trying to figure out if all the other equipment helps in building decent muscle too( and if so how much should I be using them) , or can you only notice results by benching?
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    If you have never really lifted I would use body weight circuits and exercises to gain an initial level of strength. Jumping into weight training isn't always the best idea, especially if you are not confident. You'll go into exercises concerned or with poor form and you're more likely to get injured and take a few steps back than to excel and gain confidence in lifting.
    People might jump on this but I've always said if you are going to move onto bigger lifting like bench pressing you want an experienced gym goer giving you hints/tips or a PT for a few session to show you perfect form.

The circuit I usually throw at newbies is as followed.

30 Squats 20 Push Up
    30 Push Ups 25 Sit Ups
    10 Swiss Ball Rollouts 10 Pull Up
    30 Lunges 10 Dips
    10 Pull Ups 15 Flutter Kicks
    10 Knee Raises 10 Pull Up
    30 Squats 20 Sit Ups

I go with this one as its very easy to adapt, really you wanted to complete all reps with as little rest as possible. When starting out focus on your form and completing all reps regards of how long it take or you need to rest. As you progress increase intensity and if you feel as if you are beginning to plateau change the exercises up, rotating push up, various grip pull ups, explosive squats, hanging leg raises the list is endless.
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Shake the nervousness off at home, grab a broom or piece of PVC pipe to get the form and techniques down. Video yourself if you don't have an experienced lifter to watch you, compare your form to form vids on YouTube. If you have access to one, a trainer would be great but let's be honest, lots of us don't. When you do step in, start with a blank bar and do your thing. Every person in the gym started where you are..

I'm starting the stronglifts 5x5 program on Monday, feel kinda awkward doing a 5500lb full body session after this morning's 11000lb chest, back and shoulder session but machines forgive bad form and I've never lifted free weights to any serious extent so taking it slow is the way to go.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Some people have mentioned some different workouts you can always find more to at bodybuilding.com they have lots of workouts for all levels along with videos.

I absolutely agree with the watching lots of videos on good form.

Don't worry about being new or how much you can lift. I've found the only people who are being judged are the people who are lifting way more weight they can handle and have bad form and do half reps because of it.

Start light, if it's a barbell lift start with just the bar and add weight slowly from there. If you don't have a spotter then just lift what's comfortable and if you start struggling stop the reps and lower the weight.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member
    Here is a non-exhaustive lift of various programs that can be used by beginners. They are in alphabetical order, not in order of preference or quality. At their core, they are very similar (similar lifts) with varying rep/set ranges and varying amounts of assistance/accessory exercises. I'd probably go with Starting Strength/Practical Programming or Fierce 5. But ask me next week and I'll say something different.

* A Workout Routine (beginner) - http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-beginner-weight-training-workout-routine/
    * All Pro's - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    * Fierce 5 (note that there are several variations from beginner to advanced, 3-5 day, plus a dumbbell program) - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1267226191#post1267226191
    * Full body dumbbell routine (note: women and men can use the same rep range, if you want to go low do it, if you want to go high do it. I promise that neither will make you gain or lose a Y chromosome.) - https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html
    * Lyle McDonald's barbell and machine routines - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html/
    * Starting Strength & Practical Programming Novice - http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
    * Stronglifts - http://stronglifts.com/
  • bf2311786
    Wow. thanks everybody. I can't believe the amount of help offered. It's all highly appreciated. And very helpful. Thanks for the boost!
  • goofypest24
    goofypest24 Posts: 5 Member
    Hello, I'm new to these forums
    I know how you feel about being a bit overwhelmed or intimidated by the machine.
    I go to the gym alone as well.
    I joined the YMCA last summer after knee surgery and the staff were super friendly and helpful. I had NO gym experience at all and didn't even know how the bikes worked. When I signed up they told me that my fees included 10 free 30 min. sessons with a trainer. She set me up on my 1st handful of machines, showed me how to use them properly, set my range of motion and weights for my underlying injuries. I started with 7 machines and I'm up to 14 now in just 6 months.
    The staff are there to assist you. Look into setting up an appointment with someone to get you going.
    My biggest.est fear was from watching the weight loss TV shows. I didn't want someone yelling at me like they do on those shows.... Now that I'm set up on my machines and cardio routines I go do my thing and get out.
    Try to remind yourself that everyone there is there for the same reason... To get fit
  • bf2311786
    Awesome. Thank you guys!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Read your about me. I could have written it myself. I feel the same way about the gym. I'm always afraid I'm not doing something right but I do it anyway. You'll get there :) Taking the 1st step is the hardest.
  • bf2311786
    Thank you!