Fitbit or no fitbit?

Replies

• vivelajackie
    vivelajackie Posts: 321 Member
    I think it would be interesting to have one (I work for Amazon as a picker, so I'm easily walking over 13 miles a day) but I wouldn't necessarily have it as a crutch on calories burned. I don't eat back calories in the first place so the benefit of that is kind of lost on me. It seriously depends on the person and their goals. :)
  • SiLaXe
    SiLaXe Posts: 2 Member
    jessetfan wrote: »

I have had a One since 2013, and I have managed not to ever lose it. I clip it to my bra and it stays put, so it can be done. I may be in the minority, though.

I also had my very first and current Fitbit One since 2013. Still functions well, and still is the best fit for me out of all the new ones. I don't like a tracker that I'd have to wear on my wrist. I wear mine on my pocket. And I can wear it on the inside tank/shirt or bra if I wear a dress. Never had issues except minor sync issues when I can't connect to the net or I lose signal. I like the challenges. I'm so used to it and I'm satisfied so far.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    peleroja wrote: »
    fboosman wrote: »
    Using a Fitbit Charge HR is useful in that its built-in heart rate monitor allows it to sample your HR all day long and get a reasonably accurate total for calories burned. I find that aspect of it quite useful, and honestly, I think I'll be wearing *something* that will do that for me for the rest of my life. I like to know!

Here's the bad news. 1. Fitbit is pretty bad at product design and manufacturing. Every single person I know who uses a Fitbit One or similar (clip-on style) has lost at least one. I lost two before I gave up on them. I then wore a Fitbit Charge (non-HR) and lost two of *them* because of the idiotic band design. Gave up. Finally decided I'd give them one more try and bought a Charge HR. My first one began to fall apart (delaminate) after six months. I'm on a replacement sent to me by Fitbit, but this is the last Fitbit device I'll ever wear. I'm done giving them chances. 2. The Fitbit-MFP integration is, or can be, a s**tshow. Missing calories. Duplicate calories. Periods where it just doesn't work at all. And if I do the calculations manually using Fitbit's own data compared with my resting metabolic rate, the numbers MFP reports never, ever match. I've given up on relying on the numbers in MFP as being accurate and just use them as a rough guide. Each morning, I look up my Fitbit calories burned from the day before, subtract my RMR, and enter that into a spreadsheet I keep.

So, yes, having a fitness tracker—preferably one with an all-day HR monitor—is a great thing. Fitbit + MFP is a pain in the rear. I don't know how much of the software issues are MFP, so I don't know how much this would improve by going to a different brand of tracker.

I've had two Ones and used them daily for a couple years (the first one went through the wash/dryer twice before it bit the dust, which was not Fitbit's fault but mine) and I've never lost it or had any issues with it at all.

The integration has also worked pretty much flawlessly since day one, not spreadsheet or manual calculations required. Following its recommendations has given me precisely the correct number of maintenance calories for months now, whether I'm sedentary for a week or ramping up my half-marathon training.

Just wanted to offer the counter-perspective, as my Fitbit has been enormously helpful in letting me feel comfortable eating enough to sustain my activity and improve my running.

This has been my experience as well. Except for "one"day where MyFitnessPal website was having data issues, my Fitbit has synced with MFP immaculately for the last 8 months. I love mine and I had no problems with it :-)
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited February 2016
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.

Unnecessary to lose weight is true but if they are a fad how do you explain how long these have been around, since Fitbits are basically high tech versions of them?

51tSyt5WHLL._SX300_.jpg

edit: I have a Flex and carry it in my pants pocket since the strap broke.
  • Hfeff
    Hfeff Posts: 37 Member
    I don't know what I would do without my fitbit. I started with the flex and upgraded to the Charge HR. It definitely helps me push myself harder! I love that you can have competitions with friends which also makes it more fun!

Ditto. It definitely motivates me.
  • sault_girl
    sault_girl Posts: 219 Member
    I just got a fitbit for valentine's day and it is my new favourite toy. I acknowledge it is a completely unnecessary toy, but that's ok with me!
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    I think I'm on my third Fitbit One: with priors suffering casualties to the washing machine/dryer and another one fell off. Fitbit as a company is awesome; they provided a replacement despite the fact the user was defective :smiley: and not the product.

I was very excited to purchase the Charge HR in hopes that I could eliminate the use of a HRM strap for my workouts. I find them uncomfortable. However, I did have a few issues with the Charge-HR: (1) minor skin irritation at initial use even after following cleansing instructions; (2) the HR function did not seem consistent with my HRM strap; (3) the Charge-HR will register steps from arm movement which inflated my "step" count. As a result, I now only use my HR to record my sleep as I did not like sleep in the Fitbit One. I will probably re-gift the HR as I'm not fully sold on it (or wrist-based heart rate monitors)

I use the One to provide approximation of daily steps taken. For accuraay, I (reluctantly) prefer the HRM chest strap to the Charge HR activity tracker.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Activity trackers (Fitbit, et al) are a fad. They are totally unnecessary as proven by the billions of people that have never owned one.

Unnecessary to lose weight is true but if they are a fad how do you explain how long these have been around, since Fitbits are basically high tech versions of them?

51tSyt5WHLL._SX300_.jpg

You are probably one of the few people that realize these "fitness trackers" are just a high tech pedometer.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

51tSyt5WHLL._SX300_.jpg

You are probably one of the few people that realize these "fitness trackers" are just a high tech pedometer.

It counts steps. What else could people possibly think that they are?
  • Sherriediva1
    Sherriediva1 Posts: 345 Member
    I had the most successful weight loss experience using my Fitbit Charge HR and MFP. I've never had any problems with the meshing of the two, in fact, that is what finally allowed me to loose weight. It seems I was starving myself by trying to stick to 1400 calories a day. My trainer said to eat 2250 but that was too much. My fitbit tailored my calorie needs based on my activity/expenditure and there was the ticket to weight loss for me! LOVE IT! Wish I could afford a waterproof one for swimming!
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I find the fitbit to be motivating and I've had better success with the combination of the two than either one by itself.

+1 i love my fitbit charge hr, it really motivates me. the real question is, will it be worth it for you to purchase it. only you can answer that. and I have had mine break and they are replacing it for me for free. fitbit has the best customer service too.
  • sault_girl

I haven't known anyone who seems to think they are something other than that. What do you think people think they are?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited February 2016
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I haven't known anyone who seems to think they are something other than that. What do you think people think they are?

A magic panacea for weight loss and fitness.
  • scottsull7
    scottsull7 Posts: 12 Member

A magic panacea great TOOL for weight loss and fitness.

FIFY

• cardozm
    cardozm Posts: 78 Member
    I really like mine,, anyone is welcome to add me ...username: mcardoza1480@gmail.com
  • sault_girl

A magic panacea for weight loss and fitness.

Really? I think most people buy them thinking that by keeping tabs on how much they are moving/walking/exercising, they will be more motivated to stick with it, work harder, and improve. For some it will work, for some it won't. Some people will get frustrated with the technology if it doesn't work well, or they can't figure it out. Some will find it more hassle than it's worth. And some will find it a useful tool which does, in fact, motivate them.

I can't say for sure which category I will fall into, yet, time will tell.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Fancy pedometer or not, my fitbit has motivated from being a sedentary sloth averaging 2000-4000 steps a day to over 20,000 a day. Seeing the kms increase along side the calories burned is a massive motivator!!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    To the OP
    I never used any fitness tracker and I have been in maintenance for more than 5 years. I don't care for gadgets, I am OCD enough on my own.
    I guess that all depends in your goals and needs. If you need one for motivation, go for it. If it gives you incentive to workout and move more, go for it. You are the only one that can judge if the gadget is worthy or not.
  • holly_roman
    holly_roman Posts: 116 Member
    no thanks, the wristband ones are TOO expensive for me. I now have the pumpkin Bluetooth v4.0 and I love it. It was WAY cheaper and it works great. does distance, steps, etc plus it has a sleep tracker. I wasn't going to waste over $100 just for that.
  • sault_girl
    Fancy pedometer or not, my fitbit has motivated from being a sedentary sloth averaging 2000-4000 steps a day to over 20,000 a day. Seeing the kms increase along side the calories burned is a massive motivator!!

That's great! How long have you been using yours for?