Running in snow -- any tips?

I just started running, and just as I stop hating it and begin to look forward to it every morning, we start getting snow. It's nothing crazy -- just an inch or so on the ground.

Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Enjoy it! We rarely get snow where I live, but I have loved running in it in the past. Just take it steady and be careful not to slip.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    It's usually fine - just don't make sudden direction changes. Like if you're turning a corner, slow down, purposefully change direction, then go.
  • loricullen2
    loricullen2 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks guys. I was also afraid of the 12 degree cold plus wind, but I dressed properly, and it was awesome. Peaceful, pretty -- and cushiony. Loved it!
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 178 Member
    Shoe spikes are a good investment if you get more snow
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    I love running in snow! If I do road running, I literally run on the road as much as I can. It's plowed, salted, and gets more traffic than the sidewalks. I run in residential areas with little traffic, or with a wide parking lane.

Take short, quick strides and as mentioned above, be very careful changing direction. Also be careful of fresh snow because it hides the ice.

Forget any speedwork. Just do slow, easy runs and enjoy being outside!!
  • loricullen2
    Thanks @julie_broadhead. I didn't know such a thing existed. @7lenny7, I lucked out. There's a place to run that starts at the bottom of my street. No cars, but no plowing either. I simply ran through the snow. It was pretty fresh but surprisingly not slippery. I'm looking forward to going again. IMG_6418.jpeg
  • loricullen2
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You are pretty well guaranteed not to overheat. Dress in layers and unzip as you warm up.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    I've been using Yaktrax for walking in icy conditions for years. They also have a product for runners:

https://www.yaktrax.com/product/run
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    I prefer Kahtoola Nanospikes: http://kahtoola.com/product/nanospikes/
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    I just started running, and just as I stop hating it and begin to look forward to it every morning, we start getting snow. It's nothing crazy -- just an inch or so on the ground.

Anyone have any tips?

Pick your feet up higher.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    0pi6tg4n6txr.jpeg

That looks amazing!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,484 Member
    If that snow is getting your shoes wet, or if the cold wind blows through them, put strips of duct tape over the toes. It will come off easy and won't leave a residue
  • loricullen2
    Thanks, everyone. Such good tips here. I checked out the spikes. I'll order some and will try the duct tape if need be. So far, my shoes have been fine. My family thinks I'm insane for running in it -- especially on the days where it was five degrees. But with the right layers, I was toasty warm. Loving it. Much better than running in the summer!