Over 50 and Loosing weight

I'm 53 and have lost 16 pounds so far. I've always been a yo yo dieter. This time I'm loosing weight slow and steady but I feel loosing weight is making me look older which is making me feel really fed up. I don't know what to do as Im fed up looking at a fat person in the mirror but don't want to look haggered

Replies

• geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    I'm 59 and noticed loose skin and sagging when I started losing. I don't know how much is from weight loss and how much is from aging :o but I would rather have the weight loss. The wrinkles will come no matter what.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Slow and steady loss helps and your skin does recover slowly.
  • lisalaycockhart181
    lisalaycockhart181 Posts: 109 Member
    Yes I agree I want to loose weight and keep it off this time. Hopefully with a slow loss things will settle. The problem is I still want a thirty year old reflection looking back at me ha ha.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I'm settling for a fit, strong, healthy old fart looking back at me in the mirror..... ;)
  • lisalaycockhart181
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Hang in there! Sometimes skin may sag a bit when you lose weight, but things usually stabilize if you keep going. I've seen this happen and it will pass! Really..
  • lisalaycockhart181
    Thank you for your comments katlkins3 , sjomial and geneticteacher . It's onwards and upwards so they say. All I know is I feel better for my weightloss and hope my face and skin start to get on side
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    I will suggest eat healthy food that contain complete nutrition, a balanced diet and exercise will help you loose extra fat from the body. Slow and steady weight loss will not make your skin loose and sag.
  • lisalaycockhart181
    It just tends to be my face @bettyboles. I do eat a good diet but my downfall is sweet things
  • lisalaycockhart181
    The problem I have is exercise. I have back problems that seem to be even restricting the walking I used to enjoy. This is why I decided to loose weigh to see if it improves
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    It gets better after you have lost the weight and have been maintaining a few months.

I lost 30lbs in my fifties, during menopause, and looked haggard. I looked awful. I hated looking in the mirror and not seeing my little round face.

It took about 6 months of maintenance for me to start looking 'normal'. Heck I didn't get my round face back, And I had a few, ok quite a few, ok a lot of wrinkles, but I had made it happy and healthy through weight loss and menopause.

Good nutrition and skin care will help you, and your good bone structure is on your side.

You will never look 30 again, but you can be fabulous in your fifties. Part of it is accepting the natural changes. :'(

I am now doing the sexy sexagenarian.

Cheers, h.
  • lisalaycockhart181
    Sounds interesting middlehaitch
  • lisalaycockhart181
    I have replied to you middle hatch but it seems to have disappeared
  • Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    I am 67 and disabled with arthritis in nearly every joint and in neck and spine! I have lost 31lbs so far. It has been hard because I can't walk or sit for too long! My saggy skin is on my tummy! I had a hysterectomy years ago and my skin started to go saggy then! Now with the weight loss it has gotten worse! <3o:)
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    A layer of fat under your skin does make you look more youthful because it plumps the skin and reduces wrinkles.

I'd rather be thin and wrinkled than fat.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    It gets better after you have lost the weight and have been maintaining a few months.

I lost 30lbs in my fifties, during menopause, and looked haggard. I looked awful. I hated looking in the mirror and not seeing my little round face.

It took about 6 months of maintenance for me to start looking 'normal'. Heck I didn't get my round face back, And I had a few, ok quite a few, ok a lot of wrinkles, but I had made it happy and healthy through weight loss and menopause.

Good nutrition and skin care will help you, and your good bone structure is on your side.

You will never look 30 again, but you can be fabulous in your fifties. Part of it is accepting the natural changes. :'(

I am now doing the sexy sexagenarian.

Cheers, h.

I am hoping for this too!
  • lisalaycockhart181
    My next plan is trying to get active again X I too prefer to be carrying less weight and hopefully this will help my back. 7tqft8uzdfa7.jpeg
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,481 Member
    Looking good @lisalaycockhart181. I do think exercise helps, but that is just personal experience.

Cheers, h.