I hate that fruit has so many carbs

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Fruits have carbs? Consider me extremely surprised.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited February 2016

You are reading way too much into my post. No where did I say my dr told me not to eat fruit nor am I stressing about eating it. I was simply pointing out that I think it's interesting that fruit which is "healthy" has just as many carbs as something branded "not healthy" with added sugar. Relax, it was just my opinion and observation!

Do not stress over carbs from fruit, if your primary goal is weight loss. Calories are far more important than anything else in weight loss, and fruit are low in calories, and full of vitamins and fiber, so always a good choice for snack or dessert. If your dr told you to start eating as a diabetic, then you do need to count carbs, so eat one serving of fruit at a time. Carbs are not evil.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

You are reading way too much into my post. No where did I say my dr told me not to eat fruit nor am I stressing about eating it. I was simply pointing out that I think it's interesting that fruit which is "healthy" has just as many carbs as something branded "not healthy" with added sugar. Relax, it was just my opinion and observation!

+1

Good on you for trying to avoid becoming a diabetic :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    Why are carbs bad? I follow a high carb low fat vegan lifestyle and my health is great? I'm not trying to be rude I'm generally curious aha x

OP has insulin resistance, so under standard advice would want to avoid a high carb diet and make sure to eat carbs with fat and protein to help avoid blood sugar spikes. Carbs aren't bad, but too many on their own would be for her.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Hi I found if you really more about fruit than other things that are high in car to sub those with fruit but in small portions like 1/3 cup raspberry blueberries or other berry as the are low carb also green banana is low carb I'm not sure but papaya is not really sweet. I instead would cut out something else like breads, cereals, pasta, oats, yogurt or high cab veggies. Another thing I found was having a half banana or Apple 4 slices of a cutie etc was a way to go about it. But if you say sub in 1/3 cup fruit w a low carb protein shake with a tbsp pb it can hit that fruit carb for the day.

I'm not pre diabetic (as far as I know) but I do have pcos so I am at risk for insulin resistance and I found that carb cycling worked for me bc I could not lose weight!

So I do not count carbs as a rule in grams. I know I'm allowed on low car days to have 1 carb =1/2 cup of something for breakfast w 1 protein =4oz and 2 veggies = 2cup rest of day is 1 protein, 2 veg, 1 fat=1tbsp

So generally I do not count carbs from fruit or veg but I limit my fruit in am to 1/3 if I must have oats or smoothie. Rest of day I do not have bread, or grains, or pasta etc.

High carb days are 1 carb, 1 protein, 2 veggies no fats ( none added to anything like butter olive oil etc unless I feel necessary) then I have it without a carb as a snack.

So on a high carb day I could say have my fruit instead of a half cup of quinoa, 1 slice bread, half cup rice, half cup tortellini, 1 tortilla etc. I could have a half cup or whole cup cottage cheese with a half banana or 1 Apple w plain Greek yogurt ( less carbs or a low carb yogurt).

After awhile you adjust to eating this way and figure out how to keep somethings like fruit or sweet potato in there with a bit of finagling. I just try to keep its in the below 200 range grams wise on lo carb days as a total but I don't count each thing to not drive myself crazy it's just a total I look at at the end of day.

I do Chris Powell choose more lose more carb cycling. It really is easy and helped me immensely figure out my calories and portions, tho he has weird measures ( a fist, Palm, thumb) I just figured out the measures and the calories on my own. Anyway you are welcome to add me if you like
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    I'm pre diabetic so I need to watch my carb intake.

No, you need to be at a healthy weight and regular exercise period.

Studies show that preventing DM (and helping those who already have it) should be focused on acheiving/maintaining lean body (so obviously a healthy fat % - abdominal fat is the biggest risk factor - excess of this makes insulin less useful in the body) and regular exercise - a combo of cardio and strength which makes insulin more useful in the body.
  • I'm pre diabetic so I need to watch my carb intake.

Studies show that preventing DM (and helping those who already have it) should be focused on acheiving/maintaining lean body (so obviously a healthy fat % - abdominal fat is the biggest risk factor - excess of this makes insulin less useful in the body) and regular exercise - a combo of cardio and strength which makes insulin more useful in the body.

I tend not to tell people who have medical conditions that they are wrong because that really should be left up to their doctor since everyone has different circumstances.
  • CindysDream
    CindysDream Posts: 6 Member
    I too love fruit and try to just stick with berries!!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Fruit has the sugars (carbs) together with all the other nutrients and fiber that work together for a healthy diet.

The problem with many processed high sugar foods is that they are almost all sugar (carbs) with minimal fiber and nutrition.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Why are carbs bad? I follow a high carb low fat vegan lifestyle and my health is great? I'm not trying to be rude I'm generally curious
    It was said in the context of someone who presumably has insulin resistance, e.g. due to obesity.

• LiveLoveLift48
    LiveLoveLift48 Posts: 379 Member
    I love those little clemetines and will have 2-3 a day. It beats any processed food i would normally reach for. Yes they have carbs but, i like to look at the nutritional value first. Pre diabetes can become a problem but also getting your weight in a nice range can also reverse that. Get some fitness, eat healthy whole foods as often as possable .
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Those carbs you eat are good for the brain and the vitamin C they contain are good for everything. Don't eat a bog but 2 a day is not bad. The best thing to do for pre-diabetes as has been said is lose weight and exercise. If my patients only ate an extra cutie I would do back flips. I am a nurse.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited February 2016

Me too. I miss having oranges! Sometimes I will sneak a segment or two when I'm peeling one for my daughter. A handful of blueberries or blackberries is ok if you can fit it in your macros!

Cauliflower is low carb and actually has more vitamin C than oranges.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Speaking of diabetes, I saw this, this morning which floored me a bit..

78uk46ytky7d.jpeg
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Don't worry, op, you are not the only one who is prediabetic and watching carbs, even in fruits. I follow my doctor's recommendation too and hope for much better bloodwork when I go back in August. And BTW, I am not obese but I am overweight by about 25 pounds. I don't want to have full blown diabetes like my grandmother did, so I'm taking it seriously now. Good for you for being conscientious. :)
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member

I tend not to tell people who have medical conditions that they are wrong because that really should be left up to their doctor since everyone has different circumstances.

Good for you OP.. that was dangerous advice..

Anyone that is diabetic or pre-diabetic knows to limit their carbs and sugars, it's not enough to exercise and be a healthy weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2016
    The US prediabetes stats are misleading.

First, we lowered the threshold for the diagnosis (there's no hard and fast definition), so that someone with a particular test result would not be prediabetic in the UK, but would be diagnosed as such here.

Second, I'm deeply skeptical of the 9 in 10 of those who have it are undiagnosed (which is an easy way to inflate the numbers). It's based on the assumption that there's a huge number of undiagnosed and that untested people would have similar results to tested people. But that ignores the fact that typically people who are overweight/obese get tested, those who are not, aren't tested (unless there is some other risk factor).

I've been tested when obese, and had no issues. I am not normally tested now that I am normal weight (and wasn't in the past when normal weight). I have no reason to think I might be undiagnosed pre-diabetic just because my doctor did not test me. (Similarly, there are lots of other things I have not been tested for, just like people under a particular age don't have to get mammograms -- it's about risk factors.)
  • I'm trying to stay under 150 grams of carbs a day which I know is not a "low carb" diet but for me it is moderate carbs. If I want to have a tangerine (or two) I have them but then I know I have to make up for it somewhere in the rest of my day. I try as much as possible to pre log what I am going to eat for the day or at least have a good idea in my mind as to what I am eating so I can make the appropriate adjustments. So far so good, I just need to stick with it long term!

The pre diabetes CDC information is very interesting. I can't speak to it's accuracy but everyone should be eating healthy and be active pre diabetic or not.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Wow, there is a lot of bad advice here from people who have no clue about how insulin resistance works.

OP, try to consume fewer tropical and citrus fruits and more berries and cherries. You get a lot more fruit for your carb budget that way, plus a lot more fiber.

I need to be between 75-100G/day myself...which works out to be 1-2 servings of fruit per day. That is a hard-and-fast limit for me, but I make up for it by eating lots of non-starchy vegetables.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I'm trying to stay under 150 grams of carbs a day which I know is not a "low carb" diet but for me it is moderate carbs. If I want to have a tangerine (or two) I have them but then I know I have to make up for it somewhere in the rest of my day. I try as much as possible to pre log what I am going to eat for the day or at least have a good idea in my mind as to what I am eating so I can make the appropriate adjustments. So far so good, I just need to stick with it long term!

The pre diabetes CDC information is very interesting. I can't speak to it's accuracy but everyone should be eating healthy and be active pre diabetic or not.

If I were pre-diabetic, I'd be looking at the deep dish pizza before the clementines.