Vegan tips

Starting a vegan diet. Anyone have any tips or something you wish you'd known at the beginning?

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    A lot of people wish they would've known that being vegan doesn't automatically mean one will lose weight.
    A calorie deficit is needed for weight loss and it really makes no difference what you eat as long as your at a calorie deficit.
    If your becoming a vegan for moral or ethical reasons then more power to you. If you are becoming a vegan because its the newest fad trend or you think you will lose weight, then you may want to reevaluate your goals.
    PS - I know plenty of obese vegans. It comes down to calories for weight loss.....
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    I've been experimenting with a vegan diet for a couple of weeks now, and one thing I'm noticing is that it takes a lot of planning and work to create appealing meals since I'm not using processed foods. Also, I'm hungry all the time, and I do mean all. the. time. Today I had a cheat day - had some ground turkey for lunch around 1:00 PM. It's after 5 and I'm just now starting to feel a little hungry.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    If you don't already, find some go-to recipes that you love. If you don't have a lot of recipes, try to make a couple of new things each week.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    I've been experimenting with a vegan diet for a couple of weeks now, and one thing I'm noticing is that it takes a lot of planning and work to create appealing meals since I'm not using processed foods. Also, I'm hungry all the time, and I do mean all. the. time. Today I had a cheat day - had some ground turkey for lunch around 1:00 PM. It's after 5 and I'm just now starting to feel a little hungry.

I don't know why you are hungry all the time? Maybe you are not getting enough protein and fats? Or not eating enough in volume?

Try having protein balls. Have flax muffins with some pb. I eat 5x a day. Oatmeal with zucchini is filling. Avacado and tomato salad with olive oil is filling. Veggie burgers. Large ( think big *kitten* salad) salad. Incorporate more grains!

I'd check out mr and Mrs vegan on YouTube for awesome food ideas and other vegan food ideas from other vegan vids.

Tofu with Asian stir fry. Black beans with vegan sour cream and vegan cheese roped w salsa and a bit of olive oil. Or low carb it with Asian stir fry with zucchini noodles ( or rice noodles) toast with avacado. Try a keto coffee I make a coffee with coconut oil and nondairy milk and blend. Chia pudding. Nondairy yogurt. Kale chips, cucumber chips, roasted veggies w olive oil, veggie lasagna ( with zucchini as the lasagna) riced cauliflower, roasted cauliflower whole, oatmeal muffins, quinoa salad, tabbouleh, falafels, couscous salad, hummus, are a few ideas!
  • angelexperiment
    Oh and soups lots of awesome soups, chili, tvp in chili, black bean meatballs or tempeh meatballs too.
  • janejellyroll
    Oh and soups lots of awesome soups, chili, tvp in chili, black bean meatballs or tempeh meatballs too.

This person said they aren't eating any processed foods, so a lot of the options that you mentioned might be off the table. Without

It sounds like you find protein very filling. Are you getting enough protein when you are avoiding animal products in your meals?
  • lisamarie337
    lisamarie337 Posts: 8 Member
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    A lot of people wish they would've known that being vegan doesn't automatically mean one will lose weight.
    A calorie deficit is needed for weight loss and it really makes no difference what you eat as long as your at a calorie deficit.
    If your becoming a vegan for moral or ethical reasons then more power to you. If you are becoming a vegan because its the newest fad trend or you think you will lose weight, then you may want to reevaluate your goals.
    PS - I know plenty of obese vegans. It comes down to calories for weight loss.....

So true I actually gained weight when I first became vegan. I think I was eating too many carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    thorsmom01 wrote: »

So true I actually gained weight when I first became vegan. I think I was eating too many carbs.

You would gain weight from consuming more calories, not from too many carbohydrates.
  • lisamarie337
    lisamarie337 Posts: 8 Member
    The best advice I have is to do your research. Get some vegan informational books like the kind life or skinny *kitten*. Also get some vegan cook books. I kind of felt like I had to relearn how to cook. Lol. I grow up on the meat was ypur focus point of your meal you you planned your sides around that. Now I focus more on my vegetables or how I want to sub out a meat or dairy product. Such as lentils or beans or even vegan meats. Watch out for processed foods that are vegan. They aren't always very healthy. The most important is to have fun with your food. I find having g a colorful plate of foods helps me get in all my best nutrition. Check the Web for recipes. Try vegetables and grains and other foods you've never tried better. Good luck
  • janejellyroll
    The best advice I have is to do your research. Get some vegan informational books like the kind life or skinny *kitten*. Also get some vegan cook books. I kind of felt like I had to relearn how to cook. Lol. I grow up on the meat was ypur focus point of your meal you you planned your sides around that. Now I focus more on my vegetables or how I want to sub out a meat or dairy product. Such as lentils or beans or even vegan meats. Watch out for processed foods that are vegan. They aren't always very healthy. The most important is to have fun with your food. I find having g a colorful plate of foods helps me get in all my best nutrition. Check the Web for recipes. Try vegetables and grains and other foods you've never tried better. Good luck

I haven't read "The Kind Life," but "Skinny B****" is full of misinformation. If you want to learn about veganism, a science-based book like "Becoming Vegan" or "Vegan for Life" is a much, much better choice.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member

Vegan doesn't mean unprocessed.
  • angelexperiment

This person said they aren't eating any processed foods, so a lot of the options that you mentioned might be off the table. Without

It sounds like you find protein very filling. Are you getting enough protein when you are avoiding animal products in your meals?

To clarify all the things I mentioned you make yourself ( except tvp would be processed) at home so it would not be processed ( tofu/ tempeh is processed or seitan but you can make them at home too)
  • janejellyroll

To clarify all the things I mentioned you make yourself ( except tvp would be processed) at home so it would not be processed ( tofu/ tempeh is processed or seitan but you can make them at home too)

Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are all processed foods -- even if one makes them at home. I don't say this to disparage them -- I think they are very tasty foods that can be a key part of a healthful diet. "Processed" is such a meaningless term, in the way it is used, that is it hard to tell what this person may be avoiding.
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Its really crazy how complicated people make this...JUST DON'T EAT ANIMAL PRODUCTS....just don't do it

there are a million things that you can substitute for them you don't need them.

I have been a vegetarian my entire life and a vegan for half and my tip is to think of the lives and souls of living creatures you're saving by not violently torturing and killing them.

After you give up the animal products and you stop eating the cheese and milk and eggs you realize how they didn't really have any real flavor to begin with and all the fat and hormones they are laden with trick your mind.

Fresh / grilled veggies, potatoes, grains, whole wheat breads, pasta's with fresh sauces and herbs, huge vegan pizza's with fresh sauce, artichokes, olives, roasted peppers, and veggies taste soo much better!
  • Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member

You are obviously not experimenting right then. Add some sweet potatoes, grainy pasta, rice medleys and healthy starches. You can't tell me boiling rice and earth grown starches take more time to prepare than cooking meat
  • Melmo1988
    Melmo1988 Posts: 293 Member
    Some people assume vegan means you have to give up processed foods. Like Naley said above, just stop eating animal products. That's it. One of the things that irritates me when I post something on a vegan facebook group I am on is that I was ask someone if a certain product is vegan and the first thing someone says is it's unhealthy and full of chemicals. Ok but that's not my question! Yes I am eating to be healthy but every now and then it's ok to have treats, and I do eat processed meat substitutes. I am not one of those perfect vegans who eats all raw food or all unprocessed foods.

So...my biggest tip is, Gardein meat substitutes ROCK. Aswell as Daiya cheese.
  • janejellyroll
    Naley2322 wrote: »

You are obviously not experimenting right then. Add some sweet potatoes, grainy pasta, rice medleys and healthy starches. You can't tell me boiling rice and earth grown starches take more time to prepare than cooking meat
    Naley2322 wrote: »
    Its really crazy how complicated people make this...JUST DON'T EAT ANIMAL PRODUCTS....just don't do it

there are a million things that you can substitute for them you don't need them.

I have been a vegetarian my entire life and a vegan for half and my tip is to think of the lives and souls of living creatures you're saving by not violently torturing and killing them.

After you give up the animal products and you stop eating the cheese and milk and eggs you realize how they didn't really have any real flavor to begin with and all the fat and hormones they are laden with trick your mind.

Fresh / grilled veggies, potatoes, grains, whole wheat breads, pasta's with fresh sauces and herbs, huge vegan pizza's with fresh sauce, artichokes, olives, roasted peppers, and veggies taste soo much better!

I haven't had dairy or eggs for ten years and I would disagree that they don't have flavor. Maybe that's your experience, but dairy and eggs are tasty for many people. That's why people like them so much and why it is hard for people to consider giving them up. Maybe fat does "trick the mind" into liking certain foods, but that's not specific to animal-based foods. I like coconut and avocado. Is fat part of the reason why? I'm sure that it is. Because fat is tasty and we've evolved to seek it out because it's a great source of calories.