I HATE REST DAYS...anyone else?

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    You get stronger on rest days not work out days. I only lift 3x a week (heavy, full body with accessories) and I get stronger faster doing that than a 5 or 6 day body split program.
  • AbigailC17
    AbigailC17 Posts: 78 Member
    edited February 2016
    I feel exact the same way! I workout 2 a days (cardio and weightlifting) 6 times per week. When rest day hits, I feel miserable (down in the dumps misery). I don't know about you but I get some sort of withdrawal symptoms: feeling depressed (crying spells included), highly irritable, I feel like my world is falling apart, and I get a feeling of urgency that "I need to work out, I just have to, I NEED it, and I just have to go or else I will not feel happy". The only way I coped with this is visualizing my muscles growing (literally in my head lol) on rest day, because I am letting my body repair. Other things I do to cope with this problem. I keep myself busy like window shopping, walking around my neighbor while listening to my favorite music, cleaning around the house, playing with my cats, taking a hot bubble bath, foam roll, and just doing things I enjoy. It helped me keep my mind off the "I must workout temptation!" One more info :D I am clinically diagnosed with OCD but it is different from yours ^_^
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    I hate rest days too. I have to walk if nothing else.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    3nbaw8fcq6dh.jpg
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    I like your pic, Icemaiden37. That is exactly how I feel about rest days. I go to the gym for the mental benefits as well as the physical, taking a day off is hard.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    I understand they are needed, but here here are my thoughts on rest days and why I hate them.

bedtb1n9odlk.jpg

wjw5ime65b6c.png

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Exercise (lifting) causes micro tears in the muscle fibers, rest days allow the muscles to heal. Because of this you actually gain strength on your rest days, not your exercise days.

Know what they call a person who doesn't take an adequate number of rest days?
    Injured.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I learned to like rest days more when they werent tied to calorie goals. Rest day = A high calorie day as well.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    I love my rest days.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    zuzvnyw0d6ga.png

Just kidding. Mentally change the name from "Rest Day" to "Active Recovery" & program in some activities like yoga/stretching, foam roller work, walking, etc. Kills two birds (letting your body recover & satisfies 'OCD') with one stone...
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member
    Active Recovery. I like it ! You smArt Matt200goal. :wink:

I am curious of your thoughts on "Active Recovery" from a mainly Cardio(done with small weights in hand) routine.
    I work out 6 days and "Recover" 1.
    Thoughts ?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    My rest days are my 'fun activity' days, when I go bird watching, or take my friend's kids to the amusement park, or what not. They don't have to be sedentary days, just days when you let your hard-worked muscles take a breather. :)
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    When I am consistent with my exercise I absolutely loath rest days. I've added the weekends in for lifting so now I'll be hitting the gym for that 7 days and I'm adding cardio in on Wednesdays so that I'll be doing that 5 (or 6 days depending if I'm feeling lazy on Saturdays) a week. When I get in a groove I find it hard to justify a rest unless I am absolutely exhausted.
  • Terraforcejenny
    Terraforcejenny Posts: 47 Member
    I can't do rest days fullhog. I have to do something. I get too anxious otherwise!

It's fine if it's just like, me being social so I miss the workout (I'll just make that the "Rest" day for the week).

But, I love cardio. I love moving. My life is pretty sedentary and I like it as a healthy outlet for my anxiety and stuff.

I definitely have been more about the yoga and stretching though!
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member

I am curious of your thoughts on "Active Recovery" from a mainly Cardio(done with small weights in hand) routine.
    Thoughts ?

I'd say, "Try it & experiment." There may be a smart, book answer out there - which I don't know - but if it works for you, then it's the right answer :)
  • KrystinaMTL
    KrystinaMTL Posts: 1,338 Member

Thoughts ?

I'd say, "Try it & experiment." There may be a smart, book answer out there - which I don't know - but if it works for you, then it's the right answer :)

Again,
    You speak the truth.
    :smiley:
    Thank you new friend
    :blush:
  • kcerrillo
    kcerrillo Posts: 103 Member
    3nbaw8fcq6dh.jpg

Yep I feel lazy when I don't plus it helps with my ptsd ect.
  • ShodanPrime
    ShodanPrime Posts: 226 Member
    Proper rest is just as important as a proper workout. If I were to hate them, it means I hate the getting strong and jacked process. I don't. It keeps a bullet out of my mouth, so I love it.

Embrace the nap.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    My objectives wouldn't be supported by overtraining, so I take the rest days in the plan. Better that than enforced rest post injury, and missing a race.

Recovery has a purpose.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Rest days are subjective to the individual and training program.

To say everyone needs a rest day as a blanket statement is untrue.

For me rest days do more harm to my fitness and health, so I avoid them.