Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Blood Type Diet- Is it for real or is it more diet hokum?

One of my friends claims to have had success on the Blood Type Diet.

Does anyone know of any nutrition research (positive or negative) related to this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Total hokum. If your friend is successful, it is because the restrictions are making her/him eat at a deficit.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Total hokum. If your friend is successful, it is because the restrictions are making her/him eat at a deficit.

This
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    I have told this story here before. I was at a conference a few years back. One of the guest speakers was a naturaopathy doctor. She told the story of how she found this diet, it made so much sense, so she tried it out. Her blood type told her to eat a vegetarian type diet, avoid red meat, etc. She followed it and felt amazing. Her skin glowed, she dropped weight, people complimented her.
    Then during a conversation with her mother, she learned she was mistaken about her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the opposite diet, high in meat, etc.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I have told this story here before. I was at a conference a few years back. One of the guest speakers was a naturaopathy doctor. She told the story of how she found this diet, it made so much sense, so she tried it out. Her blood type told her to eat a vegetarian type diet, avoid red meat, etc. She followed it and felt amazing. Her skin glowed, she dropped weight, people complimented her.
    Then during a conversation with her mother, she learned she was mistaken about her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the opposite diet, high in meat, etc.

That's hilarious.

But in a related note. I knew a vegan who was chronically loosing weight and ended up in hospital. His wife was a woo nutritionist and put him on blood group diet. He ended up eating meat again and put back on weight from under weight to normal bmi.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I should make the AD&D diet. You roll D100 and consult the wandering food table to determine what food you will encounter for dinner.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    One of my friends claims to have had success on the Blood Type Diet.

Does anyone know of any nutrition research (positive or negative) related to this?

Bunkum:

Click me
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I should make the AD&D diet. You roll D100 and consult the wandering food table to determine what food you will encounter for dinner.

Love this!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member

This is amazing and would probably make a million dollars if you could get the rights away from Hasbro.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Unless you're a vampire, it's bunk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0060582/

CONCLUSIONS: No evidence currently exists to validate the purported health benefits of blood type diets. To validate these claims, studies are required that compare the health outcomes between participants adhering to a particular blood type diet (experimental group) and participants continuing a standard diet (control group) within a particular blood type population

http://blogs.mcgill.ca/oss/2012/11/18/what-is-the-“blood-type-diet”/

The bottom line is that there is no evidence for these silly meanderings and confusing people with such nonsense will not put them on the path for proper nutrition.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0084749

In summary, the present study is the first to test the validity of the ‘Blood-Type’ diet and we showed that adherence to certain diets is associated with some favorable cardiometabolic disease risk profiles. This may explain anecdotal evidence supporting these diets, which are generally prudent diets that reflect healthy eating habits. However, the findings showed that the observed associations were independent of ABO blood group and, therefore, the findings do not support the ‘Blood-Type’ diet hypothesis.

• HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Mine told me to eat vegetarian. I never felt worse in my life. I was exhausted, irritable, and generally miserable. And I wasn't a junk food veg either - I was following Eat to Live. It's just ridiculous. There are clearly biological differences - some people thrive on Eat to Live, whereas I felt like garbage, for example - but blood type isn't the determining factor.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    My mom and I did that in college, on one of her rounds of losing weight. My dad was also needing to lose weight, so they used that as a guide. He's supposed to eat mostly vegetables, and she's supposed to eat mostly meats. So it's amusing to me that when my dad's on a vegetable-high diet, he loses weight better; and when my mom is on a meat-high diet, she loses weight better. Now I know it's not due to 'blood type', but rather that they lose weight differently, but it did validate it for me for a while.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I think it's hokum, of course, but I had to look mine up anyway (much like reading a horoscope), and apparently I am supposed to eat like someone riding across the steppes, or as I like to think of it, as if I were a Dothraki. Also, for some reason, chicken, buckwheat, and corn are super bad for me.
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Lol the amounts of new diet options are awesome.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited February 2016

My husband and I have rolled percentile to determine what to eat. Gamers to the end!

And, yes, the diet is BS.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I had to look mine up, too.

Evidently I'm supposed to be a vegetarian and as "pure fresh and organic" as possible because I have a "sensitive immune system". Hmm. Mine's so sensitive I get sick once every couple of years for a day or two at a time.

While my diet definitely could use some tweaking (too heavy on the dessert-y and snack-y foods lately), I think I'll just substitute out some of those for more of what I would normally eat at meals and be fine.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    That explains a lot!
    My blood type (O+) can digest protein and fat, but doesn't respond well to excess stomach acid, and will fatten up if they eat grain. We need to relax by working off stress. That's me to a T!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

You'll need at least a few tables to cover diet level experience and cooking (environment) type or else you'll get this:
    2dxjv6ei0bwn.jpg
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member

Heroes' Feast on a roll of 100? :smiley:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    It is old and has been pretty thoroughly disproved.

By the way, the diet for my blood time was exactly how I ate when I was gaining weight...