Mushy protein ideas

earlnabby
earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
I am on a post-surgical restricted diet. Basically I can only eat really soft foods. I need more ideas for protein. I cannot eat anything sticky, so nut butters are out and I cannot have anything that can create gas so beans and legumes are out. Right now, I am getting my protein from eggs, yogurt, and protein powder (mixed in with the yogurt). Any ideas I haven't thought of? I suspect this will get really old, really fast.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    After my brother had oral surgery, my mother made him stews and blended them until they were drinkable - no chewing required!
  • earlnabby
    edited February 2016
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    After my brother had oral surgery, my mother made him stews and blended them until they were drinkable - no chewing required!

That is the next step in about 2 weeks. Right now, I cannot have meat, no matter how fine chopped it is.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Make custard. It's a different taste and texture from plain eggs.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited February 2016
    Protein fluff!
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-fluff-3-quick-and-easy-recipes.html

There are TONS of recipes out there.
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Mix your protein powder into your coffee, or put it into some homemade pancakes
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I did this with macaroni and cheese. Not high protein, but I hated milkshakes and soup after a few days.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    yes, protein fluff is yum.
    Also consider unsweetened protein powder (brown rice or pea perhaps) to mix in soups, sauces
    and macaroni and cheese! lol)
    http://proteinpow.com/2011/02/rice-protein-mushroom-soup.html
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    edited February 2016
    Protein powders or protein pudding might help. Salmon and other flaky fish when it can be a bit more solid. silken tofu (can be used in smoothies).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Protein fluff, protein pudding or a never ending combination of smoothies.

I'm not on a restricted diet, and I have a smoothie(with protein powder) for lunch everyday, and protein pudding for dessert most nights.
    It's not that I'm a protein fiend, I just like the taste of these recipes and they happen to be high in protein.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Halo top ice cream. 24g per pint and 240-280 calories
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Halo top ice cream. 24g per pint and 240-280 calories

If gas is an issue, the sugar alcohols might be a problem here.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Bread pudding:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012636-simple-bread-pudding
    2 cups milk
    2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, more for greasing pan
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    ⅓ cup sugar
    Pinch salt
    ½ loaf sweet egg bread like challah or brioche, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
    2 eggs, beaten
  • earlnabby
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Bread pudding:
    2 cups milk
    ⅓ cup sugar
    Pinch salt
    ½ loaf sweet egg bread like challah or brioche, cut into 2-inch cubes (about 5 to 6 cups)
    2 eggs, beaten

Yummy! I am definitely saving this, but absolutely no bread for 4 weeks (including crackers, rice cakes, etc).
  • earlnabby
    Thanks everyone for the ideas. I was hoping for something other than yet another thing to do with my protein powder, since I am already eating several scoops a day. I appreciate the ideas!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited February 2016
    earlnabby wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Bread pudding:
    2 cups milk
    ⅓ cup sugar
    Pinch salt
    2 eggs, beaten

Yummy! I am definitely saving this, but absolutely no bread for 4 weeks (including crackers, rice cakes, etc).

You can make it without the bread.
    Here is a savory custard recipe for an example:
    http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11944-baked-savory-custard-with-cheese
    2 cups cream, half-and-half, or milk
    3 eggs plus 2 yolks
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup grated semihard cheese, like Gruyère, Comté or Emmenthal

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Chia breakfast pudding-
    I can coconut milk
    1/2 c water
    2 scraped vanilla pods or vanilla extract
    Combine and simmer
    2 eggs well beaten
    Remove vanilla pods and add a small amount of the coconut milk to the eggs to proof them then add that to the coconut mix on the stove and simmer about ten more minutes while constant stirring.
    In a blender add 1/2 chia and one cut up banana and a good amount of cinnamon. At this point I'd add the protein powder if you're going to use it. Then pour in the custard mix and blend it until smooth. Pour into four containers and there you go.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Braise meats for a long time at a low temperature ...will be very mushy...especially chicken. Of course will be very tasty too!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Maybe a baked tofu would be soft enough? I like it with a tomato based sauce, something like this: http://www.sheknows.com/food-and-recipes/articles/1034483/baked-tofu-with-smoky-romesco-sauce-recipe

It's a legume, but I think less commonly associated with gas issues than some others.
  • literatewench
    literatewench Posts: 2 Member
    You could try making a plain protein powder into a savory soup, with miso or chicken stock? I've made a lot of little breakfast "oatmeals" with protein powder and cream and something else - I'm not sure if you can do small seed stuff like chia, but I love a hemp hearts, chia, almond meal, cream thing.

There's also greek yogurt, with sweet stuff like fruits or savory stuff like garlic and dill and salt - turns it into a mediteranian dip but it tastes good enough I've eaten it on its own.

Eggs are very versatile on their own though. Eggs with tarragon are one of my favorites; eggs with basil and oregano; eggs with garlic and soy and green onion; eggs with curry powder; eggs with sour cream and chives...

Don't dismiss the flexibility of the proteins you already have! :) You've got a whole spice section to look at.
  • earlnabby
    edited February 2016
    I forgot to say . . . thank you for reminding me of protein fluff. I have the ingredients, I just don't think to make it.

Also, jello made with crystal light or Mio drops is really good: 35-40 calories (depending on flavor used), 1 gram carb, 0 fat, 7 grams protein, 10 mg sodium and 2 cups of water. All good things. I have even made it with fruit flavored sodas and juice. Some juices that include stuff like pineapple and kiwi will not allow the gelatin to set.

1 package (or 1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin, soften in 2 Tbl cold water. Add 1 cup (less 2 Tbl) boiling water. Stir until dissolved. Add 1 cup cold water and drink mix. Chill until set.