Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Help my Keto friend. Say NO to egg fasting

Expatmommy79
Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
I'm part of a mommy group that are all keto. I am not but enjoy the comraderie.

One of the ladies has started an egg fast. 5 days of eggs only.

It sounds hideous. It's from the IBIH site.

Help me explain at least to the others why this is a bad idea. Apparently you can loose 4-6 pounds in that time and you only put a little back on and then you keep loosing as before. It's supposed to break a stall.

Help me understand the science why this is WOO? I'm worried she will have splendid results and the rest of the flock will start doing the same.

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Depending on the amount of eggs it might be VLC, most of the weight is going to be water weight because eggs have virtually 0 carbs, it's incredibly bland an unnecessary, I don't know about the micronutrients in an egg but they're unlikely to be complete, the fat in the eggs is probably almost entirely sat fat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2016
    This is keto, and is designed to be LCHF. And it is really not just all eggs.

The way I understand it is consuming not just eggs but incorporating HIGH fat which does include eggs, butter (or other pure and healthy fat like olive oil or coconut oil), cheese, and maybe condiments like hot sauce, mustard, etc. And bulletproof coffee. The egg fast ratio is to eat 1 Tbsp of fat for each egg consumed and up to 1 oz cheese for each egg consumed. You things like string cheese, cream cheese, etc..

This really is just a short way to make your LCHF diet easier for 5 days and take the guess work out the diet IMHO and you do get to eat something different than eggs for dinner that is still LCHF.

If you are already keto, the better a person will handle this and if you are not, then the carb flu may happen and the carb flu is hard to get through. This is not VLCD.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited February 2016
    There's enough nutrition in an egg to make a chick but I don't know if it's complete enough for an adult human. Personally I think you can do practically anything for 5 days within reason.

If she were to eat say 1000 cals from a dozen eggs then there would be a reasonable sized carb free calorie deficit to create weight loss. If she's already keto there shouldn't be much of a water loss to regain.

It's eggs butter and cheese apparently, plus condiments http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto.html
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Depending on the amount of eggs it might be VLC, most of the weight is going to be water weight because eggs have virtually 0 carbs, it's incredibly bland an unnecessary, I don't know about the micronutrients in an egg but they're unlikely to be complete, the fat in the eggs is probably almost entirely sat fat.

No way, Jeff Seid is yoked and he said you to throw out the egg yoke because that's where the carbs are. He clearly knows what he's talking about because he's more ripped than anyone you'd find at your local gym. o:)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=x1-UDBnRnS4
    ^ In case you aren't familiar.
  • stevencloser
    senecarr wrote: »

No way, Jeff Seid is yoked and he said you to throw out the egg yoke because that's where the carbs are. He clearly knows what he's talking about because he's more ripped than anyone you'd find at your local gym. o:)

My profile picture is him with a mouse head shopped on top.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

You should try to shop his food pyramid into the background.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Sounds eggstreme - I hope you're yolking.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member

Thread closed, as far as I'm concerned. Good work here.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

You crack me up.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member

That's super importantly hilarious!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I've always wondered about that!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    gramarye wrote: »

Thread closed, as far as I'm concerned. Good work here.

This thread will be a shell of its former glory after this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I don't think it's healthy, but I also think 5 days of a dumb diet plan isn't going to have any significant harm and that if it's really unsustainable most people will just quit. The biggest danger to me is that it would ruin eggs.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I don't think it's healthy, but I also think 5 days of a dumb diet plan isn't going to have any significant harm and that if it's really unsustainable most people will just quit. The biggest danger to me is that it would ruin eggs.
    I agree with this. I don't think 5 days is going to completely ruin anyone.

That being said, I'm not a fan of mono-meal type diets. Most people give up because it gets extremely boring or they get hungry - probably because they're not eating enough due to how unappealing and boring their selection (or lack thereof) is. Watermelon island, banana island, egg fasting, potato cleanse, etc, etc. Rarely does one type of food meet all your micro-nutrient requirements either. But, 5 days isn't a lifetime I suppose. I'd be more worried about meeting caloric requirements and what such a diet does to a person's mindset.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    although kind of silly I see no reason it would be bad. I think it needs to include some fibrous veggies, or just fibre in general though. I eat many many eggs myself.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2016
    I would barf. I like eggs. But not that many. Yuuuuccckkk!

Also if it includes that much cheese... I'd poop a lot too. But that's my problem hahah.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    First of all, eeeeewwwww. Her poor family.

Second, I would definitely not participate, as an egg fast would certainly put me in the hospital in anaphylactic shock if it didn't kill me. Everything can be bad for somebody.

An egg fast is a silly idea, and it's certainly woo because it's not specifically the eggs causing the "magic". But it's unlikely that you're going to change her mind, and she probably won't die or suffer serious injury from it. Live and let live. They figure it out or they don't.
  • stevencloser
    WinoGelato wrote: »

See there once was a mouse in our gym. It's a bit out of town, close to some farmland, so that's not too weird. My friends and I ended up imagining the mouse using the equipment when no one is around, and this picture came into existence.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

See there once was a mouse in our gym. It's a bit out of town, close to some farmland, so that's not too weird. My friends and I ended up imagining the mouse using the equipment when no one is around, and this picture came into existence.

Lol. Reminds me of this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VcSBO8YAnTQ
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Aren't we made up of like75% water. If so then while your getting smaller tinier waster wouldn't losing some water make sence ??am I the only one who thinks like this

Weight loss almost always involves both fat and non - fat with water included in the latter.
This discussion has been closed.